Author Topic: Bone Arrow Head Gallery - Sticky  (Read 205708 times)

Offline wildman

Re: Bone Arrow Head Gallery - Sticky
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2014, 11:17:44 pm »
I will try to get a mini build along. There is really not much to it , these bones scream to be made into a point. They are very thick and dense towards the serious end , and thin towards the base naturally. Two cuts and some sanding/grinding make a point. I made my first one for the arrow trade that Pat B got. A friend who shoots fish and also primitive with me loves them. We have been talking about trying them for awhile now.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline jmichelin1984

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2015, 10:54:30 pm »
I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but, some of the heads ive noticed have a slight conical slot for the shaft to fit into, do you guys and gals use a half round file or some other tool to do that with?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2015, 11:33:23 pm »
Yes, and various other tools can be used also.  I use the rounded part on my belt sander.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2015, 11:32:29 pm »
Has anyone killed a deer with a bone point? I hope to make some and hunt with them next season because I can't get the hang of knapping and bone points look great!

Offline Ontario Archer

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2015, 08:19:36 pm »
Hello all,
      I'm new to the forum, but have been consulting it for years. Here are some pics from my first all-natural arrows, including bone broadheads. I used cow bone from the pet store, and modern tools (the smell of the bone being worked with my dremel tool was terrible!). These arrowheads passed straight through a thick couch cushion and into the rotten-log back stop many times without damage, from about 25 yards. I suspect they'd do the trick on a deer.

Offline flungonin

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2015, 03:22:01 am »
Those look nice and sturdy. Good job.

Offline Locogear

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2015, 03:33:43 pm »
I may have missed it, but what did the bone come from?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2015, 11:53:08 pm »
The bones are from cow, deer, and elk leg bones mostly.  You can buy cow leg bones from stores that sell them as dog chews.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2015, 03:01:05 am »
Man, not sure how I missed this thread. I'll definitely be spending some time looking at this one.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Locogear

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2015, 09:36:53 am »
The bones are from cow, deer, and elk leg bones mostly.  You can buy cow leg bones from stores that sell them as dog chews.

That's good, I have plenty of leg bones in my field :p

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2016, 11:53:22 pm »
Anybody ever get them close to razor sharp I have some made and they have great points but I'm trying to get the blade part wicked sharp.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2016, 12:34:27 am »
I got mine sharp enough shave arm hair. I used a lansky sharpener. It holds the blade and the stone at fixed angles. I wanna say 15 degrees for razors. Make sure you progress all the way past a fine grit stone. I polished mine with buffing compound for the last step.

Mother of pearl is much harder and denser. It will hold an edge longer than bone. I prefer it over bone in every aspect except the allergy I have to shell dust.  :(
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2016, 09:52:00 am »
Well I made my first bone point for the arrow trade. It was made from a skull plate of a whitetail,  right where the antler grows out of their head. 
I did have trouble getting it sharp and opted to leave well enough alone since it sunk into my modern block style target just about as far as my trade points do. I plan on making more but I will be working on the angle of the point to see if I can get it sharper next time. 

Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2016, 05:44:17 pm »
These are some really cool bone broadheads. Looks like I'm going to have to save some deer legs and give it a try.

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2016, 09:49:39 am »
Just read through this entire thread. I have experimented with bone previously but the points on here have really whet my whistle for it again. I guess I'll be down the pet shop later!! Thanks for the inspiration.