Author Topic: Want to make a D bow  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Nesbo

Want to make a D bow
« on: December 06, 2012, 06:45:29 pm »
Hello all,

I want to build a d bow, but am unsure of what dimensions I should start with.  I have a 26" draw and want the weight in the upper 40's to 50lbs.  I have white oak and paper birch in my woods and would like to use these woods in building my bows instead of buying staves.  Any ideas for you all would be grealty appreciated.

Nesbo

Offline RyanY

Re: Want to make a D bow
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:01:28 pm »
Here's what I'd do. With either wood make the bow 66" nock to nock. Make the middle two feet 1 1/2" wide and then taper in a nice arc to 1/2" nocks. Tiller shape should be like the arc of a circle but with the handle section stiffer. If I'm not mistaken the birch is less dense but will probably still get you above 40lbs especially with the 26" draw. White oak is denser and could probably be narrower but use these as the starting dimensions.

Offline Dictionary

Re: Want to make a D bow
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:40 pm »
Don't worry about dimensions. Just get the limbs bending and then blend the handle in allowing it to flex the last few inches of draw. Some say there is only one way to tiller a dbow but there are many.I like to be able to see the handle bending slightly,not just feel it a little at full draw. Seems like it spreads the tension throughout the entire peice of wood better than just a little flex at full draw.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson