Author Topic: buying Arrow shafts? Where?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Arrowind

buying Arrow shafts? Where?
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:43:28 pm »
I've made my own arrows mostly from poplar dowls from Lowes....  I want to try some shafts that have been pre-spined....so I can cut them to length...I'm thinking of buying some arrow shafts....not sure where to order from.   I've done quite a bit of looking online...I'm just not sure who to order from.  Any suggestions? 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: buying Arrow shafts? Where?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:17 pm »
3 Rivers never sent me a bad dozen of any type of wood. I probably ordered 50-60 dozen the last 15 years.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »
always been happy with my poplar shafts from rudder bows as well as the lodgepole pine from 3 river archery but in the last few years i have switched almost completely to my shafts i have made from hickory as well as bamboo and river cane and red osier
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline cummins

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:45:44 pm »
I recommend Twig Archery beautiful shafts straight and tapered nock ends and tapered shaft never had bad shafts from them top notch.On Internet twig archery.com
Aloha R
Recurve Shooter hunter,Kodiak Mag ,Looking to shoot Longbow

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:02:29 pm »
I've had good luck from several P.A. advertisers, namely Allegheny Mountain Arrow Woods and Hildebrand (the source of all sitka spruce shafts)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:21:25 pm »
I think Allegheny Arrow woods has the best selection of arrow shafts from different woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Forresterwoods

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:01:46 pm »
I make hardwoods and softwoods. I have sitka spruce, sepele mahogany, cedar, sugar pine, eastern maple, teak, leopardwood, brazilian cherry, ash, etc. All sizes...spines 40 up to 145 lbs. Weights 310gr to 850gr. (I have hardwood 5/16 that spine to 70 lbs).  Since there is such a large selection and hardwoods are not that well know, I can help with your set up. If it does not work just send back and I'll make the correction at no additional cost. Softwoods are going for $35/doz..and hardwoods $50/doz plus shipping. Any questons my email is the best way to contact me. Kevin at ForresterWoods.  kf571_2000@yahoo.com

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 08:11:25 pm »
I've got my cedar shafts from 3 Rivers for many years now.  Never had a problem.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:06:51 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all the suggestions.   I was leaning toward Three Rivers but it seems they don't grain match their basic shafts...I'd like to get some that are grain matched as well.  I'll check out some of these others.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:12:36 pm »
Forresterwoods is a new sponsor here on PA. Why not give him a try?  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Forresterwoods

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 05:14:38 pm »
I have been making custom shafts lately. They are matched to spine and close on weight, sanded with 600 grit with a finish. Several hardwoods are 5/16 spine at 50-70 lbs. They go for $50/doz plus shipping. I can send half doz samples for $30 plus freight for testing. I have maple, teak, leopardwood, sitka spruce, cedar, ash, mahogany. They really perform well and stronger than most.

Kevin Forrester....kf571_2000@yahoo.com    Good shooting

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »
google Lost nation Archery and talk to Larry.  Great guy and will make sure you get what you want.  Mom and Pop business that thrives on service.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 02:00:34 am »
KistomKingArchery.com has always treated me right....