Author Topic: Congratulations to Simson for winning October Self BOM!!!  (Read 6559 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to Simson for winning October Self BOM!!!
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:12:40 am »

October self BOM

Congratulations to Simson Sieß from Germany for winning October Self  BOM!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35613.0.html

big elm flat bow

Here is what simson  had to say about his bow:

Laying in the bed with influenca attack, cannot do any work. Have decided to show you another bow. So, perhaps some of you are perhaps bored - sorry for that. Here she is:
elm sapling bow, stave was about 5" in diameter. It was harvested in late spring, so the back shows after debarking the early grain / fibres as a wonderful landscape like a field with a lot of humps and dumps. Yes, I know the early wood is not the best as back, but i could not resist leaving it on. The piece had many little branches, which I also left on and cut off at about 1/4". The area just above the handle shows the relic of a dead branch (hollow stump) of about 3/4" in diameter and ca. 2" depth! The belly is flat and at some sections grooved, it shows a nice combination of the heartwood and besides the sapwood.
The stave has a propeller twist and a problematic side profile. The lower limb runs on the outside (back) of the grip, the upper limb to the inside (belly), because of the stump. The result is an unusual braced side profile, like a negative tiller. The arc of the lower limb is higher than the upper limb. Crazy! No leather handle, no overlays - just a stick and a string.  string alignment is corrected with dry heat. The back is stained to show the nice surface. 70 ntn, max. width is 2,25" very light heattreatment. the bow came out with 74# @ 28, shoots very nice and fast. (I haven't believed a flatbow so long is so fast). The hollow stump is filled with a whisky reservoir (in case of snakebites and so on. Simson

Here is what some forum members had to say about:

Cool! That is a real work of art! 
lesken2011

That baby is pure art Simson. I'm just grinning ear to ear looking at that beauty imagining the dumbfounded look some hardcore wheelie bow guy might give you if he ran into you in the woods with that bow in hand.  You could then offer him a snort of the
whiskey to bring him back to his senses.  Spectacular bow, I just love it. Greg

Man i just love it!!  That one is just too awesome, esp with the "stump".  Great job on a very difficult piece.  Hope you get better soon! K-Hat

I missed this one the initial go around.  Just linked to it through BOM thread, and I have to say, this bow has a good shot at BOM.  Honestly, your bows are some of the best I have seen on PA.  It is very evident you take a lot of pride in your craftsmanship.  Seeing your bows always inspires me to slow down and take the extra effort in the finer details of my own bow efforts. CMB

i just have one thing to say...WOW..i didn't know elm was so pretty...john

Thanks all for looking. Great job simson. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Congratulations to Simson for winning October Self BOM!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:57:49 am »
Congrats Simson,very nice job on that one and much deserved win.You guys from Germany really know how to turn out some nice stuff.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:02:45 pm »
Congrats!!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 12:45:35 am »
Congratulations . That is an incredible character bow

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 10:25:50 am »
Thank you guys!

This is the first time BOM for me, I'm happy being successful but really don't understand why here were only a few bows at the October BOM. Every month so many cool bows were posted - why do they not participate?

Simon
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:38:25 pm »
First off Congrats again on winning BOM! And to answer your question. You have to subscribe to the magazine to enter the contest.  ::)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:53:43 am »
Congratulations! !!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...