Author Topic: Taper Tools and Glue on Broadheads?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Taper Tools and Glue on Broadheads?
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »
For those of you who have used them, how well do the taper tools and the glue on broadheads that they are made for work? Is it a good tight fit? Do the broadheads remain attached to the arrows even after some use and abuse?

I'm looking at buying a taper tool and some glue on broadheads, and its going to be like a $60+ investment, which for a university student living on student loans is a decent amount of money (that's like two weekends of beer money for us Canadians who get taxed through the nose on liquor). But I don't mind spending the money if it will work well, because I have really struggled with the broadhead portion of arrow making for long time, and I'm hopeful that this will resolve my issues and allow me to put some arrows out that I would feel good giving to people.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Taper Tools and Glue on Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:24:33 pm »
The one i have works fine.  Every now and then a point comes off in a target but that happens with commercial arrows too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:07:46 pm »
If you are planning to pend $60 anyway add a little more and get a belt/disc sander. You can taper shafts with it plus lots of other stuff.
  For cedar shafts I liked to use a cheap plastic pencil sharpener type with good results. I bought a more expensive one(maybe Tru-Taper?) and ended up trading it for something else. I never could get it to work right.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 10:24:23 pm »
I had a less than stellar reaction to the Tru-Taper tool from 3Rivers.  It is very well made, designed to last a lifetime, and I couldn't make it work to save my life!  So I bought one of the cheap-o-la pencil sharpener types and have been extremely pleased with it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:52:19 am »
Well I'm committed now. I bought a taper tool and some glue on broadheads online. Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping this will solve my broadhead issue.

Offline Josh Wilson

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:03:18 am »
I have a pencil sharpener looking tool from 3 rivers, and it works good. The most important part is having the right glue, I think. I've lost a lot of heads over the last year, but I know it was due to my glue, and not the tool or the points themselves. There was also a good thread on the forum about the best way to glue points on too. It's very worthwhile reading.

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 11:12:07 am »
i just started using Kimsha quick stick glue.it seems to work really well.i haven't lost a point yet.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 09:30:57 pm »
I've got some hot melt archer's glue. I think its designed for exactly this purpose so it should be good.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:27 pm »
I have a Tru-Center tool and all 3 sizes of BearPaw plastic pencil sharpener types that I bought from The Nocking Point. Both work, but ask me which one I use all the time.

Offline DGF

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 02:21:59 am »
Tom, which one do you use all the time?    ;D

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 06:40:21 am »
i'm guessing the pencil sharpener type, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Scowler

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 09:00:06 am »
Hope your taper tool works well for you Slackbunny.  I got on this thread a bit too late but I'll put my .02 cents in anyways.  I've used the S-20 taper tool from 3 Rivers for many years now with excellent results.  I normaly glue on socketed points (field points, modern two-bladed broadheads) with regular Ferr-L-Tite.  I've had a few come off in extreme cold weather but otherwise the glue works well.  The taper tool I use has been replaced with the V2 (Version 2?) model.  If it works as well as my older version does then it should be a good taper tool. 

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »
The whole problem with the tru-center tool is the blades. A) They aren't sharp enough. and B) The angle needs to be adjusted so it makes proper contact. It can be made to work. It just doesn't work well right out of the box. I have tapered lots of shafts with my Bearpaw plastic pencil sharpener types with no problems. That includes the ends of my cane shafts that have been plugged.