Author Topic: Made Moccasins  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Made Moccasins
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »
Took the high road and made a pair of mocs. I just tinkered with some Braintan until I had what I wanted, then made a template from what I worked up so I will always have it. They fit perfectly.  The one pictured is the "better" one.  The first one I made didn't have as nice of stitching on the front.  The second one was better.  I might re-make the first one.... or maybe I will leave it alone and work up a whole new set.   These ones are real brain tan. Next ones I might cheat and go with some heavier commercial leather...or not, who knows!  I know one thing...I doubt this will be my last set. I eventually want to make a set that look professional

and yes my ankle looks un proportionally huge.  guess it's just the angle from the camera on my crappy phone.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Scowler

Re: Made Moccasins
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:17:54 pm »
Nice looking mocs.  Do they stay on your feet when walking or do you plan on adding some lacing material to them?

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:30:22 pm »
I was going to add lacing but they stay perfectly. my heel doesnt even flop or anything.  I did actually add lacing to the other one and removed it after the fact when I realized I didnt need it.  should they get looser over time I can always add it I suppose
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:51:57 pm »
Cool..... Been wantin to try that myself.
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:11:59 am »
Very nice job,them look great to me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:18:14 am »
Nice brain tan and sew job.You might want to get some ideas of patterns from some of these buckskinner rendezvous suppliers.There are many different tribe styles to try.Side seam,pucker toe,hard sole,soft sole etc.Brain tan done yourself is kind of precious because of the labor involved but it is soft light and tough for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed