Author Topic: Where do you get copperheads?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Marks

Where do you get copperheads?
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:45:57 pm »
I know we have copperheads around here in Northwest Alabama but I never seem to come across em much less find 2 long enough for my bow. In my 27 years I've only seen 2 or 3 little ones (one of which was a baby and struck the pants leg of my bluejeans while I was wearing flip flops). Is there a place where you can buy the skins? I really have my heart set on copperhead and I don't mind looking for em but sometimes its just easier to fork out the cash especially if I can't find my own.

Offline autologus

Re: Where do you get copperheads?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:13 pm »
Wood piles and brush piles are good places to find copperheads, but in the winter time they will be hard to stir up.  >:D

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:04:30 pm »
On a more serious note, Copperheads are hard to come by.  Especially ones that are large enough to skin a bow, if you don't mind going a faux route the fake ones from 3 Rivers Archery don't look too bad under a good coat of sealer.  Good luck on finding some skins, they are by far the best looking in my opinion.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:05:21 pm »
Bro if u buy em b ready to pay. A hefty price ck out 3 river fake copper heads they look exactly like tbe real thing 20 bucks vs100-200 floats my boat lots bettr any day brock

Offline Marks

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:25:34 pm »
Do they have scale texture??

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:34:17 pm »
i just saw a set of the fake ones.they are smooth.i thought the looked ok.the guy said that they are a breeze to put on.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:41:09 pm »
The appropriate answer to your original post is "road kill"  With that said they are hard to come by and finding two that match is even harder. I've used real ones a bunch and have seen the fake stuff. It don't compare in my opinion. Don't waste your money... Just keep lookin for em on the road ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Marks

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »
Thanks all. Once Spring rolls around I'm gonna try to find some on my own but if it comes down to it I may end up buying the fake stuff. Desparate times call for desparate measures.

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 06:06:35 pm »
here in hattiesburg ms we have them very wear sum well over 3 and 4  feet sumtimes   most  comemen  are the small ones .we live on  a  river  and in the summer time  we end up killing lots of them that try and get in are  live well to get to the fish.most of the time  ther shot with a 410 so salvage of the skins are hard to do Cause it tears them all up this summer if i can I'm going to keep as Minny as i can  get my hands on .

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:48 pm »
The guy i made that bow for shot it at 3 d this past weekend over 100 guys thought they were real they. Are computer graphics from real. Skins ill use em anytime brock

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:32:37 pm »
here in hattiesburg ms we have them very wear sum well over 3 and 4  feet sumtimes   most  comemen  are the small ones .we live on  a  river  and in the summer time  we end up killing lots of them that try and get in are  live well to get to the fish.most of the time  ther shot with a 410 so salvage of the skins are hard to do Cause it tears them all up this summer if i can I'm going to keep as Minny as i can  get my hands on .

Those are northern water snakes most likely, copperheads don't eat fish..

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 07:36:31 pm »
I dont know copperheads that well, but for snakes in general, I find that once the weather warms and you start seeing a snake or two dead on the side of the road, that is the time to drive gravel and asphalt roads on particularly warm evenings.  Especially roads that parallel creaks that are well-vegetated.  Those snakes will lay on that hot road after the air starts to cool. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso