Author Topic: this is why I prefer a revolver...  (Read 4474 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: this is why I prefer a revolver...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 10:57:59 pm »
Well, for those that want to prosecute, which I lean in that direction...I hope you believe in EQUAL prosecution...wonder if this guy was prosecuted? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU  I bet he wasn't and he's a pro! So, until they dole out equal prosecution for ALL citizens I think the loss of his child, and revoking his gun privledges is fair...don't you? As you can see sh#t happens!

We had a cop here in my state that had his kid get hold of his gun, and accidently shoot himself. (the kid) Funny the story broke then quickly was swept under the carpet....wonder if he was prosecuted?? ::) Let's not forget he's a pro!

VMB
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:45:14 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 12:53:56 am »
I have been involved in Law Enforcement for 32 years and I think it's interesting this just turned into a COP BASHING oppurtunity.

The FUNNY part is the professional law enforcement officers referred to do not make the decision if a case is prosecuted or not. It is the DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OFFICE who are all scholars of law. Officers enforce the laws, making arrests by serving warrants and such. The DA's Office can and will dimiss/decline charges often against the wishes of officers before it goes into a court room.

I will also be willing to bet that if you took a toll from officers they would be split on prosecuting or not, with the majority wanting to prosecute. Knowing that most CRIMES require intent and malice to prosecute by state staute, climbing into your car and a gun accidentally discharging would most likely not show intent to kill or intentional malice. There is lesser charges that may apply, but that will be up to the PROFESSIONALS AT THE  DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OFFICE, not a police officer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:57:35 am by nclonghunter »
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 02:03:11 am »
I don't remember stating a police officer makes ANY decisions in prosecution, and am well aware who prosecutes cases as my sister is a prosecuter. Why a split?? There was either a law broken or not. I was simply trying to say...if there was intent to injure...then prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, if it was accidental.... then maybe we should be looking at a lesser punishment. As to the cop link...I was showing it COULD happen to anyone...even pro's. Although the officer in the video I seriously doubt had ANY prosecution handed down he is just as prone to accidents as others in society. So, if you want to take this as a cop bashing so be it....that was not the intent. I like you (I assume) believe in equal justice whether you wear a badge or not.

Did you read the whole thread or just skim?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 04:52:23 am »
That video is rather disturbing even more so when the parent gets up carrying his child. Did he realize he had shot himself in the foot?

That's exactly how the situation occurred with me when I bought the bereta. It was "unloaded." More people have been shot by unloaded guns than should have.

Growing up my dad always told us stories. He was born and raised in Durango, Mexico with a rich oral tradition culture. He had la saying he had learned growing up that stated, "el diablo carga las armas descargadas- The devil loads unloaded guns."

The the parent this story is about what can the system possibly do to him that compares to the self induced torment I'm certain he will will live with? In an instant his life became that of a person forever marred by a tragic tragic fraction of a second.

The over used phrase, "I can't even imagine" is all that comes to mind.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24:26 am »
VMB, I read it several times and asked opinions from others trying to make certain I was not being "overly sensitive" before I posed a response. Perhaps I was, but I still do not see the need to compare the accidental shooting of a child with how a police officer can also have an accident. We all have accidents.

If your second post had been your first I certainly would not have been inclined to respond as a COP BASHING. I do feel the meaning was delivered differently and I appreciate it. Your sister has a difficult job as a prosecutor and I wish her the best.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 06:01:25 pm »
Is there something that leads you to believe otherwise? Nope, we are in agreement, just said it how I wanted to say it, which was different than yours I suspect.

What I find interesting is that you have chosen to be offended by folks discussing their preference in a thread titled, "This is why I prefer a revolver."  Wasn't offended by "folks" at all, I did not understand what VMB meant in "HIS POST", but he replied and I understand, so I hope we are good.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 06:31:39 pm »
Folks it's all opinion based.. We all have differing views and backgrounds that shape our views.

Lets please ALL stay cool and level headed and take at as such.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 09:25:14 pm »
Let's let it go.....I have no problem with a misunderstanding, and can see how nclonghunter could have taken what I posted as a negative AFTER I reread it several times. I was simply trying to point out that if we hold officers at a level of proffesionalism that MOST citizens are not required to ahere to (through officer training) normal citizens can make terrible mistakes, and to throw a guy in jail for a terrible mistake is not in my opinion a REASONABLE punishment......albeit a very stupid mistake. Yes, we all have opinions, and it is very  hard at times to relay them on the net.

Sorry If I offended you.....as many know if that was my intention I would not back down.

Brian

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 09:46:48 pm »
Well said Brian, I am also sorry for my misunderstanding and response. I truly avoid such debates just for the reasons stated. I am finished with this thread.