Author Topic: Inuit Tanning  (Read 40218 times)

Offline Kegan

Inuit Tanning
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:37:46 pm »
Okay, I was reading through Cold Oceans by Jon Turk the other day and it told of how elderly Inuit women tanned caribou furs by chewing on them... well, that got me to testing >:D. I brain tanned a small strap of hide for a Quiver strap and I chewed on some rawhide in the mean time. WOW! The Inuit tan took less time, was easier, and alot easier for furs. Now if only I had a full deer hide to test out... ;D

Offline DanaM

Re: Inuit Tanning
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 02:52:55 pm »
Think I would draw the line at chewing my hides, bet them Inuit ladies had no teeth by age 30, something to think about eh ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 03:05:44 pm »
Think I would draw the line at chewing my hides, bet them Inuit ladies had no teeth by age 30, something to think about eh ;D

Uh huh. Their teeth were worn nearly to the gums by the time they were in their 70's. But the spit is the main key, I spent most of my time just rubbing it by hand :).

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 04:47:18 pm »
Uhm! Keegan you missed the main ingredient in tanning hides the eskimo way. It not saliva that is the main ingredient but Eurik Acid. They, uhm, used their bodily wastes to tan the hides and then chewed them to soften them up to wear. Uhm, not something I really want to do really.  :P
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 06:55:59 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D good luck buddy ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 07:36:35 pm »
Uhm! Keegan you missed the main ingredient in tanning hides the eskimo way. It not saliva that is the main ingredient but Eurik Acid. They, uhm, used their bodily wastes to tan the hides and then chewed them to soften them up to wear. Uhm, not something I really want to do really.  :P

bok bok  >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 08:32:22 pm »
If you take this on you either raise the bar to a whole new level, or lower it.   This all depends on your opinion of chewin on urine soaked deer hides.  Personally I'll go for eggs or brain but good luck your young and adventurous.
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 08:45:46 pm »
How aboot some "buffalo piss" >:D Sorry I apologise couldn't resist >:D
And BTW its Uric acid
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 09:52:21 pm »
  You beat me to it,Dana :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 09:56:19 pm »

And BTW its Uric acid

Thank you, the teacher in me was going nuts!!!  ;)

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 12:11:10 am »
I's noo spall soo gut! I frum pur fmly. Na educaten, nutten fr me N ma twlv sibs!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 12:13:06 am »

bok bok  >:D

Who you's callen bok bok! Its Mr. Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok to ya!  ;D

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 12:17:21 am »

Who you's callen bok bok! Its Mr. Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok Bok to ya!  ;D

I stand corrected!

Mr. Enormous BOkBOK :

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 12:23:17 am »
I would think you would have a hard time fiting the whole hide in your mouth at once to chew it. Kind of puts a damper on your faster theory since I can cover it all in brains at once. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 12:27:55 am »
P.A. did some articles on this in the past.  I will list them if you all want.  ;D