Author Topic: Primitive travel bag??  (Read 5576 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Primitive travel bag??
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:31:42 pm »
Anyone have any pictures or ideas of what Primitive man would have used to travel light before horseback and such.  basically what would they carry on extended hunting trips and such?  just a bag of some sort?  you know to hold their fireboard & spindle, clay bowl or two, knapping billet and flaker, spare pitch and glue, ...roll of toilet paper. 8)   extra hide for a bed roll/blanket?     any ideas?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Primitive travel bag??
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:04:10 pm »
Snapsack.

A tanned hide, goods laid down the middle lengthwise, leave about 8-10 inches extra at either end of the line of goods.  Roll it all up  open ended burrito style and tie both ends shut.  The rope or cordage or leather thong slips over the shoulder and the hide makes a U shaped tube of gear.  If you got a lot of gear stuffed in the snapsack, you can lash a thong or two around to keep your burrito from leaking.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:55:25 am »
nice!   thank you!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:09:09 am »
I was looking for a photo of the famous historical re-enactor and author Mark Baker and his deerhide snapsack.  It was a hair-on braintanned whitetail.  He may have sewn his up into a tube with a permanant knot in the bottom and the top could be tied and untied.  Anywho, I've done the same thing with a wool blanket when trekking in the woods with a flintlock and my old dog, now sadly passed.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:38:30 pm »
reckon the kit oetzi carried would work
wild women don't get the blues