Author Topic: Interesting Expression  (Read 20945 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Interesting Expression
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:38 am »
"Blowing smoke up someone's butt", A medical practice around the turn of the century. :D They had a machine that would pump smoke up someone's rear end, supposed to cure all kinds of illnesses. ::)
     I think I saw one of those in our senators office....... ::)

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 07:05:52 am »

Southern expressions, when someone leaves, or you are leaving, you say You take are now.   Colder than a well diggers a$$ in January.  Slicker than snot on a door knob!  Puts me in the mind of...... meaning something, or someone reminds you of something, such as, he puts me in the mind of an old coon with no teeth, trying to eat a ear of seed corn!  Deader, than a door nail.  Don't make me no never mind.   Take your shoes off, and sit a spell. Make yourself to home.      Some not just Southern;  Six to one, half a dozen to the other.  Walk the straight and narrow, I'll do ya like Paddy did the drum!  And my own, referring to my financial status,   If it cost a nickel to fly around the world, I couldn't afford to get to the airport!  Or my Cousin's description of a nice thick ham steak, in Ga., when he was holding it off of his plate, and looking it over, and the waitress asked if anything was wrong, he said, No, it's just that this is the first time I ordered ham, and got a piece that wasn't so thin that it only had one side to it! :o  Now that is THIN!  Anywho, there are more...... ;)  I think we could do this all night.  One last one my dad used to say, when he was finished doing something, or done fishing, and ready to go home, he would say, Well, I think it's time to call in the dogs, pi$$ on the fire, and go home.  There are others that can't be on here, .... ::) >:D

Wayne

Offline robby

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:46 am »
A fellow that is chasing after a gal, or someone that takes to something by being totally absorbed, like primative archery is said to be "like a hound on a gut wagon"!
Robby

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 10:33:29 am »
Your my horse if you never win a race.  :) Champagne appetite with a beer bill fold. :)
A day late and a dollar short. :) Only cost a little more to go first class. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 10:38:32 am »
These are great, keep 'me coming.

If its worth doing, it's worth doin right!
My grandpa used say about a light rain, "ah it's just spittin on ya!"

Scott

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 11:29:28 am »
Lock stock and barrel.....hook line and sinker.....the whole shebang.....that's all she wrote.....its not over till the fat lady sings.....spitting in the wind.....older than moses.....kicking a dead horse.....you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.....slower than mallassas......when it comes to money i cant afford to pay attention.
Steve Bennett

Offline darwin

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 11:42:06 am »
One of those last ones reminded me of this story. When I had my audition to join the Aggie band (Texas A&M) I was really nervous because I'm honestly not a very good musician and I played just down right awful and by the time I finished Colonel Brewer (band director) looked at me and said "You don't believe in kicking a dead horse, do you son?" and after a short pause said "See you in August" I sat there really confused for a while after that. It wasn't until later that I learned that I didn't have to be good just loud

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »
Broker than a wet mule. :) Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon. :) Don't get the cart in front of the horse. :) Hanging in like a hair in a bisquite.  :)
Hanging in there like a rusty fish hook. :) Don't care what color my hairs turns as long as it don't turn loose. :) Hungry as a hostage[Per Jon]  ;) ;D So hungry I could eat the south end of a north bound Jack ass. :) Eat the buggers out of a dead man's nose. ??? :-X :-X [another one Per. Jon.] that boy stays hungry. :)
If I had you money I would burn Mine. :) I Hit the ground like a sack full of crap. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 12:18:40 pm »
You can call me anything just dont call me late for dinner!  >:D cold as a two dog night! ::)
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 01:00:50 pm »
Grandad would reply to a question of "do you have any....?"  "We have everything , from a babies fart to a clap of thunder!" Essentially meaning we don't have much but we have what we need! good way to look at life and not get caught up in materialism.   
   Another favorite is " If you kept your mouth shut, no one would know you were stupid!"  actuall comes from Shakespeare "Better to be thought a fool and remain silent ,than to open your mouth and prove it"
    Great uncles on Barrie Island 'or Manitoulin Island would have to pick stones from the fields every year as they came to the surface with the frost.If they decided they would rather go fishing or hunting (before the days of hunting seasons and regulation) would declare that"it's much too windy to pick stones today"
  One last one that conjures a vivid image is " all humped over like a dog doin' a football".  refering to someone either ill and cramping ,or someone who has become old and bent over.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 02:01:11 pm »
We use expression that our neighbor thought was odd the first time they heard it.  They are not from this close area and everyone else thinks it is fine to use????

We say ..."turn the light out once"  or   "i'm going to run to town once"  or anyting that ends in "once"....  Neighbors kid us that we sould do "it" just once!!!LOL

My dad and uncles used that one a lot.  They also ended a lot of sentences with "too yet" or "already".  If they really wanted to make a point they'd throw a combo in there, something like "I wish that damn dog would get the hell out of the cow pen once too yet already" :)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 02:05:19 pm »
Dad had  a bunch. "your gonna end up sucking farts off seatcovers if you dont graduate".   " colder than a witches t#@ in a brass bra"  "thats enough to chap my hide." .  I had a book called " the cats pajamas" that looked into the source of some sayings. dont know how accurate it was but you know the saying " he dont know his a$# from a hole in the ground"? it is said to come from a period of economic strife when the out of work city folks would stray out to the farms for food,work, whatever and the farmers would say " he dont know an adze from a hoe" right now i cant fnd the book. must be packed away somewhere.  love the thread
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »
Around here it's "he doesn't know if his arse was punched ,or bored or blown out by lightning!" Hahaha, this is an awesome post! Sucking farts off seatcovers.I'm going to use that on the kid next door taht comes over looking for advice on finishing school or not.

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 02:48:42 pm »
my dad's standby when thing's got tough at work,"if it was easy anyone could do it", Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline danny f

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 03:51:42 pm »
you could fall in a bucket of s@@t and come out smelling of roses, i would fall in a bucket of t@ts and come out sucking my thumb, if brains were made of dynamite you wouldnt have enough to blow your cap off. if brains were made of sh@t you'd be constipated,  lower than a well diggers heel, lower than a snakes belly, these are just a few i have heard.