Author Topic: Apple Longbow!(+ Build-along)  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Apple Longbow!(+ Build-along)
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »
So, recently I decided to make myself a bow and give it to myself for Christmas!  ::) ( Joking, actually it just turned out that i got it done now.) So far, though, its my best shooting bow. Can't believe how fast and accurate it is!

This wood is great stuff, lemme tell ya that. First off, it smells about as good as serviceberry, its like butter to work when green, its real springy and tough, and the wood is pretty darn nice looking. Definitely gonna get some more of this stuff. O:)

Unfortunately the grain was twisted so i had to stop splitting it and the split favored  the deflexed end. This resulted in like 2" of set. After a very light heat bending i got it a bit better, so after shooting it has about 2 1/2" of string follow. Oh well. It's addicting to shoot anyway.

The thing i used to draw it on for weighing only goes to 22", (It weighs 70# at 22") and my draw on it is 27. So i'm thinking it has a decent weight. (High 80's, maybe into the 90's). If there is a rule for figuring out weight per inch ...?  ???
Green Transparent Apple-wood
58" ntn
about 1 1/2" wide 
I found an old leather coat which has provided me a ton of leather. I did a bit better of a job on this handle, i think.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:05:56 pm by Zion »
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Zion

Re: Longbow for Christmas!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 08:28:37 pm »
More:

Offline Zion

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30:46 pm »
I guess this is kinda a build along:

Offline Zion

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:34:29 pm »
Finally, the finished result:

Offline Will H

Re: Apple Longbow!(+ Build-along)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:28:23 pm »
Good lookin bow there! Tiller looks great! You usually pick up 2-3 pounds per inch of draw. It's hard to belive you are drawing that much weight! Wow! Sure are strong for 13!  :o
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 09:42:57 pm »
That looks real good Zion. I think you nailed the tiller on that heavy bow, the bend looks exceptionally smooth and even to my eyes.
That is quite the draw weight, hows the cast with a heavy arrow? 
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:56:46 pm »
Nice job, Zion! I've heard them fruit trees make great bows. Sweet bend on yours, for sure. I've had my eye on some bradford pears in my neighborhood. Just waiting for spring pruning!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:32:54 pm »
Bend looks good.....but I got a question...what exactly are you using to weigh your bows?...I'm having a hard time believing your frame can hold near ninety pounds at ease for a couple seconds for a full draw picture ...not being rude..just curious and call me a skeptic

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »
I would love to try Apple. Just have to pester the Orchard people I guess................ 8) nice job..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline steve b.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:09:10 pm »
When I saw the first pics of  the twist I thought, "no way, give it up", then I scrolled down and saw a really great bow.  I'm kinda shocked.  Ego shattered again.

I suggest you have someone punch you in the face and see if you can take it.  If so, drop the bow making and go into MMA fighting, beat up Jon Jones, make a ton of money, then get out of it  and go back to your farm and resume building bows in an early retirement mode.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:36:30 pm »
58", 1.5 wide, green, 90 lbs and 2.5" of set???

I've used apple to some success, but you just knocked it out of the park.  Great job!!  I like the rustic, bare bones look to it too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:58:16 pm »
Incredable bow Zion. Beautiful tiller.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanY

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 01:35:09 am »
It's surprising to me that you got so much weight and draw length of a narrow short stave of what I'm guessing to be a fairly light density wood. The set is understandable but I have to guess that moisture content is high for it to survive that weight. Seems a consistent pattern in the bows you've made. Short and very heavy for as narrow staves as you've used. Even simson's osage was as wide as this one and lighter although with less set.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 01:58:35 am »
I am impressed as heck with this bow. You obviously have talent for bow making. But I would be careful shooting such bows. Several of my friends have ruined their shoulders due to years of pulling heavy bows. You are young now but someday you will be my age with a desire for archery that still burns hot. Pace yourself - you only have one body.
Gordon

Offline Zion

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 02:03:49 am »
Thanks for the positive comments guys i appreciate it. Steve i might consider that haha  ;)

Ryan the chief reason i use narrow diameter staves is because of the very reason you see here! When i try to split everything but maple up here it does this!! Of course its not too hard to make a bow out of it but jeeze, it's annoying!!!  >:(
Simson's bows are really really awsome. I hope to someday make bows like that. I guess one of the reasons i make mine kinda short is cuz i really like to see the wood work. Any signs of failure and i know it's pushing it for the wood or design.

Thanks alot Gordon. It's hard to pace myself i guess. There's just something super fun about shooting these heavier ones.