Author Topic: Getting started knapping  (Read 5446 times)

Offline TRACY

Getting started knapping
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:31:50 pm »
I know this is not a new topic here but would love to get some input and direction from more experienced folks than myself in this area. I have played around with various pieces of flint and chert from the ag fields in my area and I'm wanting to know if anyone can recommend any books, videos, etc that will help me become more knowledgeable and maybe even skilled at making useable pieces to harvest game with. Thanks for any and all advice.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

gene roberts

Re: Getting started knapping
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 10:38:36 pm »
i am not as experienced as others,but i no basically to practice.there are many opinions but test them and choose the right one for you.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 11:15:24 pm »
Books: The Art of Flintknapping by D.C. Waldorf. Flintknapping: Making and understanding Stone Tools by John Whittaker. There is a companion video for the Waldorf book, and a lot of good videos for FREE on youtube. Check out the ones by Scalp Creek, Flintknapping Tips (Marty Reuter), Edbo, and Paleoknapperjim. also, there is no real substitute for destroying tons of rock.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:24:50 am »
Exactly what Hillbilly said!! Haven't read others, but Waldorf's book is a great starter - lot's of illustration's. Best thing you can do is get with someone and destroy them rocks!!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

MattE

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:19:13 am »
Watching a good knapper work beats all the books on the shelf.Rod Parsons gave me a book by John Whittaker."Flintknapping" .I have been bursting rocks for several years and thought I had it pretty well covered, only to find that I was dreaming.:) It really helped me advance.You may want to seek this book out!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 05:02:34 pm »
It sounds like I'm headed in the right direction. I purchased Waldorf book a couple of months ago. I would have to agree with breakin lots of rock, similar to making selbows and lots of shavings. Thanks for the advice.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956