Author Topic: interesting weather forcasted for opener  (Read 6057 times)

Offline armymedic.2

interesting weather forcasted for opener
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:28:23 am »
here in ny it is supposed to be raining with high winds for opening day of deer.   I ussualy love to stalk in these conditions, but now that i have a homemade bow i am a litle wary of giving it a soaking.  also, i hate to stalk through the best bedding areas on opening day.   seems like sounding the alarm the hunt is on.  what would you all do?  i have 5 places to hunt including my own farm, the smallest one is about 130 acres, but they are all farms with small woodlots/hedgerows.  i know we will move deer if i stalk through them, but like i said, i'd hate to sound the alarm season has started.  was hoping to ambush from the trees first.  plus the hickory belly and boo back on my bow basically glow in the dark they are so light, ad i am not willing to cover up the wood.  interesting set of problems.....

I was thinking of stalking with wind down hedgerows towards my brother who will be sitting at far end.  this has given us both great results in the past.  super slow puch with me getting shots basically.  tell me what you all would do.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline lowell

Re: interesting weather forcasted for opener
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:07:15 am »
" tell me what you all would do."

I don't stalk.

I don't hunt in the rain unless I'm caught out in it.

The first year I didn't want to cover the wood either but deer seemed to see me getting into position for shot without a cover. I put a spandex cover from 3 Rivers on it when I hunt.

I'd wait a few days for weather to change.

Only what I would do.... you do what you enjoy!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

jamie

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:25:51 am »
go hunt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 11:30:12 am »
45 degrees, howling wind and rain, feels like sleet hitting ya when yer outside just lovely eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 12:14:29 pm »
                     What Jamie said..............bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 12:18:20 pm »
I'm heading out after work but think I will avoid the tree stand with this wind, the swaying of the tree makes me sleeeeeepppy ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 02:04:43 pm »

I don't stalk either, but like to scout for sign just prior to a rain...or during one. Washes all my scent away is my theory. I've found deer to be more jumpy and nervous acting during windy conditions, also if rain there is the problem with tracking.

As for your bow and camo, a hunting partner of mine covers his hickory bow I gave him with camo tape. It comes off easily with causing problems with the finish. You might consider only putting it on the back of that bow like most snake skins are applied. :)

You can always remove it for a photo session if need be... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 03:15:59 pm »
A natural colored bow shouldnt be a problem, it should look like every other bent stick in the woods as long as the finish isnt to shiny.
You may laugh at me, I know its not very primitive, but I bought one of those porterroof blinds(its basicaly a umbrella that straps to the tree) And it works great! Keeps you dry and keeps you in the woods longer, and I have killed several deer while using it. They dont even notice it.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 11:11:18 pm »
haha, i;ve seen thjose umbreall's.  pretty funny.  i was wondering if someone would say not to hunt in the rain cause the bow would get slow, or warp, whatever, but since noone did i guess i will.    does noone else worry about stalking right away?
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.