Author Topic: Sneak peek... knotty buckthorn  (Read 4456 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Sneak peek... knotty buckthorn
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 02:41:16 pm »
Very nice! What is that buckthorns native range? About what is it's SG?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 07:52:39 pm »
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Won't see any more pics of this until I'm sure its a bow, need a couple more days of re-hydration
and then I'll see if I can get her worked out to 3 more inches of draw length while keeping it in one piece.
@ Vinemaplebow - It is European buckthorn, not native here, considered an invasive species and grows everywhere here in northern illinois. Not sure how it is rated on the specific gravity scale.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 03:04:36 am »
That is a beautiful wicked looking bow.  I hope you get it to that full draw.  Way to pick right up with another knotty buckthorn after that last heartbreaker.   I spent a summer doing bat surveys in Northern Illinois (Lake County) and I hated buckthorn with a passion, it grows thick in the understory and makes it a pain to move through the woodlots it has infested.  Now, I am just wishing I had known to cut some for bow wood.   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 05:25:29 am »
Hope it holds out to full draw, that's one good lookin' bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
First off, I am amused to see a copy of American Bungalow on your Arts and Crafts Movement style side table AND in what is obviously an A-n-C style home.  Frank Lloyd Wright would have approved!  Love the house, very warm and inviting.

Secondly, the bow.  Oh wow, oh baby, oy vay!  That nasty invasive species makes a nasty-good looking bow!  Good luck finishing it out!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 04:06:12 pm »
First off, I am amused to see a copy of American Bungalow on your Arts and Crafts Movement style side table AND in what is obviously an A-n-C style home.  Frank Lloyd Wright would have approved!  Love the house, very warm and inviting.

Secondly, the bow.  Oh wow, oh baby, oy vay!  That nasty invasive species makes a nasty-good looking bow!  Good luck finishing it out!
I'm looking to make a Charles Rennie Mackintosh bow sometime O:)
Del  ;)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 06:02:45 pm »

I'm looking to make a Charles Rennie Mackintosh bow sometime O:)
Del  ;)

So, ...would a CRM bow be painted with watercolors?  ...lack adornment and focus on clean and functional lines?  ...perhaps even be some meld of an ELB and Japanese Yumi Bow?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 09:09:28 pm »
Carson, if your ever up here on bat patrol again look me up and we'll thin some buckthorn thickets together.
JW, you know your architecture, 1910 arts & crafts bungalow, bought it 12 yr. ago and the house is my other passion.
Del, I want to see your Mackintosh bow or maybe a Limbert bow with cut-outs and inlays.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 12:22:17 am »
Nice looking stick there BB.  I cant say its a bow since I have yet to see a string on it! ::) ;D ;D ;D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 01:56:25 am »
nicely done, sir! i gotta get me some more character staves, im running dangerously low :( im running low on everything!
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.