Author Topic: Cherry board bow build along  (Read 12938 times)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Cherry board bow build along
« on: December 27, 2012, 01:51:35 am »
so, i finally replenished my stock of cherry boards, and have decided to publish the build along that was requested. in this build along, i will be detailing the making of a 64 inch cherry recurve. it has a built up riser consisting of the base layer, then a layer of mahogany, then another layer of cherry. my target weight is 55 to 60 pounds at 28 inches. i will post more pictures as i go along. heres a little something to get you started:

one of the boards, still in its original 6 foot length.

the same board next to the bow with the riser already glued up.

some details of the riser.
enjoy! as always, comments are welcome and encouraged.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Cherry board bow build along
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:30:29 pm »
I'm wondering if the taper from the bottom of the handle might be too abrupt for safety....

Also, I really wonder why lots  of bow makers want a recurve style grip on a long bow. Tis a curiosity to me.

Also it looks (though it's not clear) like there is a lot of  runoff of the grain in the cherry strip. If so, do you plan to back the bow?

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:51:37 pm »
the board shown does have a lot of runoff, you're right. when i make a bow from that one, it will be backed for sure. the piece im using for the bow is a near perfect bias ring board. it is also too thick to even bend yet, so i dont have to worry about a steep riser problem. this bow is to be a recurve, not a longbow, so i figured a recurve style grip would be customary. plus, i have hever done a pistol grip before, and i was anxious to try one.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:29:06 pm »
OK. I get it. On with the show!

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 06:28:53 pm »
well, it looks like im going to have to start over with a new piece, and back it this time. i got a little gung ho while tillering it and blew up a limb. not sure why, as it didnt follow the rings or fractire in at all the way i expected. perhaps it is overdried, because the limb exploded into 4 pieces! big boom like a gunshot, scared me half to death. never had one go like that before. any ideas?

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 07:02:36 pm »
that's been my experiance with cherry, going good, going good, BOOM >:D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:43:24 pm »
 That was a poor choice for a cherry board..even if you were to back it IMHO. Welcome to the real world of bowmaking. What made you think you could bend that unbacked?  ???  I know why..its that over inflated ego thingy..lol...it can blind us all :laugh:

Offline NTProf

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »
I made a hickory-backed cherry bow. The board had very straight rings. I made it long (67") and wide (1 3/4") and it is still shooting to this day, 5 years later (thousands of shots). After hearing all the stories of them breaking, I kind of hate to ruin my perfect record and try another one.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 11:54:28 pm »
like i said, that isnt the board i was using. the board i was using had a near perfect bias ring orientation, no runout on the back or the sides. i have broken a few bows in my short time, and i think its more a matter of chance than ego. that also being said, i have more fun working on a bow like this and having it fail than working with osage and being guaranteed results ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 12:18:35 am »
Cherry can make a very good bow, if you can keep it from failing completely or chrysalling. If making a cherry bow from a board, I'd always back it. Maple and rawhide are my favourites. Maple is very unforgiving of amateurs or mistakes, and must be tillered perfectly.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 12:30:03 am »
There's nothing like a cherry bomb to get the heart going >:D .... Dry wood explosions suck >:(
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:35:48 am »
i just borrowed my buddy's moisture meter, turns out the boards were all at about 4 to 5%. we live and we learn, i guess. does anyone know how to reliably bring the moisture content of the board up?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 02:18:42 am »
Stick it in the bathroom The hot showers will take to steam and to the air and drawing it imto the board ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 02:21:23 am »
well, you have said it yourself, you live and you learn! from now on always check moisture content! or if you cant you can stick it in the broom for a while then take it out and when it stops loosing weight you should be alright.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 04:08:33 am »
Yep just leave it in the bathroom for a couple days should bring it up nicely :)
Clatskanie, Oregon