Author Topic: The season  (Read 3753 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

The season
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:01 pm »
Went out this morning to check birds.  The snow was softly falling and there was a real "snap" of cold in the air.  As usual, instead of being inside her shed and out of the weather, Icarus was out on her high perch.  She never looks amused, but this morning she really looked irritated.  Thats just me projecting human attibutes to her based on the way she "looks", she actually was content and relaxed. 

I stood next to her and chatted with her quietly.  She, as usual, just listened.  I wanted to see if she was shivering, or if the snow was melting down into her feathers, or any other sign of discomfort.  As you can see, the snow rests on her head completely unmelted.  That tells me she is well insulated by her feathers and down underneath she is dry and warm. 

And for those of you thinking the worst, let me just remind you that it is a complete coincidence that she is missing a right wing and my fletching jig is RW!  But that is why she is with us, she is a non-releasable wild bird.  Instead, she does 125+ classroom presentations per year teaching kids about wildlife and the natural world around them. 

Happy Holidays from me and the rest of the bird brains at the Black Hills Raptor Center.  (like us on Facebook and/or sign up for our e-newsletter!)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jimbob

Re: The season
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »
That's a beautiful bird JW, she does kinda look irritated but I guess birds of prey are supposed to look menacing.  Thanks for sharing that with us.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:12:22 pm »
 8) I bet them arrows are quiet  ::) just kidding, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Scowler

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »
Thats great that you help rehab wild raptors. :)  Archery, for me, has always had parallels with raptors.  Feathers, sharp points, the arrow "flying" through the air towards it's target.  Even the shape of the bow, when strung, reminds me of large, predatory birds.  Thanks for sharing the photo and Happy New Year!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:17:02 pm »
Are all of your birds missing their right wing? Well, she is a beauty and I bet the kids really enjoy seeing her. Can you show up Jan 7th in so. IN. for a classroom guest? I'll buy you lunch in the cafeteria >:D

I just showed my son the pic and told him you still are waiting on a pic of that portable perch he made last year for a local rehab group.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:41 pm »
Are all of your birds missing their right wing? Well, she is a beauty and I bet the kids really enjoy seeing her. Can you show up Jan 7th in so. IN. for a classroom guest? I'll buy you lunch in the cafeteria >:D

I just showed my son the pic and told him you still are waiting on a pic of that portable perch he made last year for a local rehab group.

Tracy

We happen to beopen on January 7th and we'll definitely be there to do the program.  We do charge $25 per classroom period, but the 50 cents a mile round trip might add up a little more quickly!  If you like, I can send you some of Icarus's pellets.  She coughs one up every day!

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:51:28 pm »
i allways love the bird pics.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 11:57:34 pm »
What a stunningly beautiful bird!!! boy living out there with you must be a real hoot ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:44:30 pm »
Careful, soy.  Bad jokes make Icarus owly.

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 07:12:35 pm »
Icarus is beautiful.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:15:25 pm »
Very cool jw
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 11:43:57 pm »
What a beautiful bird!  I'll definitely look up the Raptor Center if I ever make it to the Black Hills area.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 12:01:59 am »
Beautiful owl JW, love the patterns and colors on her feathers. Looks similar to the one perched on my house  that keeps the pigeons from roosting on the gable knee braces. Only differences is yours has personality and mine is plastic. ;D  Real nice picture, love seeing
the raptors.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 07:35:19 am »
Hey JW I posted a picture of where an owl landed in the snow under around the campfire . 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:58:54 am »
That owl looks just like the one I caught on a Lucky 13 top water bait while night fishing at a local pond. Thank goodness I had someone with me to distract him while I pinned him down long enough to get the line off his talons and free him. That was a wild experience!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:00:26 pm by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA