Author Topic: Why did this bow break? Give opinions please.  (Read 9564 times)

Minuteman

Re: Why did this bow break? Give opinions please.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 09:09:52 am »
I'm with Huntersim on this one too.( nyah-nyah Justin :P) Seems like theres some splinters left near the fades while its a clean break from the sharp point on back to the splinters. My first inclination was not enough rounding to the edges but hey I've broken more bows than anyone in the history of the world so what do I know? ???
 Chris

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 09:37:15 am »
I'm with Huntersim on this one too.( nyah-nyah Justin :P) Seems like theres some splinters left near the fades while its a clean break from the sharp point on back to the splinters. My first inclination was not enough rounding to the edges but hey I've broken more bows than anyone in the history of the world so what do I know? ???
 Chris
Oh come on Chris dont you have something new to say.  ::) I think I have broken more bows than you anyway.  Just havent broken more hickory backed cherry.  >:D  The splintering is on the riser.  All the rules go out the window when that happens.  I have had them break just like that. Even had on splinter going one way then turn around and splinter the other way.  Removed a nice wedge right out of the middle.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 04:34:28 pm »
Hi,
I think it broke because: it's oak, it's not an optimal piece for a self bow, and it was not well tillered. These are usually the reasons any bow breaks in the tillering process. You're asking too much of too little. Oak is fine, but for a piece like that, back it. Hickory, linen, silk, rawhide... take your pick. Go get another piece, and start again! If you're not breaking stuff, you're not pushing the envelope! There is only one way to find out how far you can push...
Bye the way, your design looks good.

huntersim

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 06:25:46 pm »
 Chris

Oh man, I've already risked being band by Justin (who's opinion i highly respect) by being contrary, but Now your gonna rub it in Chris......Oh boy :)

I think everyone has made some good points. Infact Justin said it, we could go on second guessing ourselves but broken wood happens. I have a feeling it was a number of factors so next time stack the odds in your favor. Try not to allow the limbs to bend to much near the fades, round the edge of the limbs more, look at the possibility that low moisture had an effect, etc.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 07:52:31 pm »
Actually, I'm going to have to switch loyalties here, it looks to me like the belly part near the fade broke in compression brought on by the other part of the bow breaking.
    Here is my theory; the bow broke a little in front of midlimb, then bent too far in the area near the handle, putting too much compression there, causing it to fold under the stress. The wood there, being under a lot of tension, separated along the easiest path, with the grain right through the fade. How's that? I'm a traitor, sorry Justin. :'(
     Sean
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:54:25 pm by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 11:43:07 am »
Yep,thats a broken bow all right. Looks like an excellent pattern to keep on hand though. Start on a another bow,but check around for cabinet makers in your area,they usually have better oak than the depot or lowes,bow boards are truly hard to find there. Keep trying if you dont break some youre not learning! Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya