Author Topic: Newbie...porpoise arrow flight?  (Read 15084 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Newbie...porpoise arrow flight?
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:08:28 pm »
I'm only 4mths old in this sport and already have the bug. I also like to understand why things do what they do which brings me to my question. My arrows are porpoising from about 22-25yds out from the target. Can someone tell me why? Also for info I have a 68" osage flatbow pulls 52@28" ( I pull 45@27") but has about a 4" set on the weak limb and 2 3/4" set on the other. Will that have anything to do with it? Also I am shooting a 28"   40# 11/32 cedar shaft with a 125gr field point. This is all the equipt info so if all that is good is there something in my release? Any input will be great.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Newbie...porpoise arrow flight?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:20:01 pm »
What kind of brace height are you using?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:00:17 pm »
Adjusting your nocking point up or down the string will also often straighten out porpoising problems. Try shooting from different points on the string, and like Eddie, said, if that don't work, try adjusting brace height. I have one bow with a slightly uneven tiller that shoots great with the nock point about 3/4" above square. With the uneven set you describe, that could be the problem.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:01:48 pm »
just to get things straight, by porpoise you mean the nock is goin up and down in flight right. i just want to make sure we are talking the same language before advice is given. if this is whats happening more than likely it is the nocking point on the string. also like eddie said it would be good to now your brace height. welcome to the addiction.  peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:15:24 pm »
  One other thing I saw once that does what you describe is knocks fitting too tight on the string.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:55:49 pm »
Hey thanks for all the input everyone. I brace it at 6-6 1/4". Another clue is I recently made my own arrows (glued the pieces together) and went from a 5\16 to an 11\32. I must say that the arrows I made fly right to the target better than the ones that came with the bow (not that the others didn't fly well) these just seem to fly better. Maybe thats just "bias" as Tim Baker would say but it does seem that way to my little pea brain. Anyway I think the uneven tiller may have adjusted the correct knocking point for that particular bow and that it needs to be played with until I find the right point. Couldn't I just adjust my hand position up or down and have that affect it as well?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 12:07:00 am »
Hillbilly? Short of sinew backing it and and then in turn changing the weight of the bow and having to re tiller it. (Which I have zero experince in) what would be a good solution? I don't want to jack with it right before I get ready to go into the field and try and harvest my first deer. Should I just suck it up and deal with it until the seasons over and can afford to let my sinew cure? I'm pretty sure that if I get one within 15-20yds I can hit my mark (provided that I don't get Buck fever as thy call it.) I usually get real clear minded in stressful situations almost like I seperate myself emotionally and become mechanical so Im hoping that that kicks in when I need it.

jamie

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 05:54:18 am »
you stated you just went to 11/32 shaft shaft. if the previous shaft was larger or smaller it will effect the nock hieght if the bow is picky. hillbilly we must of been posting at the same time.  :)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 12:54:56 pm »
Jamie, I adjusted my nock location up and it seems to have taken most of it out. Still hitting just a smidge with the fletch angled left but not more than an inch, so that should be OK shouldn't it? The only disadvantage might be if I'm shooting thru an opening in the bushes and its a rather narrow window, I might get a little tail kick into a branch or something if I'm not careful.What do you think? Cuz I'm merely speculating.

jamie

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 06:20:46 pm »
if you are getting side to side mess with the brace height a bit like the fellas said. if you cant get it to go away make sure you arent canting (leaning) the bow more than needed. if you cant the bow too far you will tork the string and never get a clean loose. that'll cause a lot of problems with flight and accuracy. try the brace height first though. peace

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 06:40:53 pm »
Thanks. As far as brace height....should I go up or down?

jamie

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 07:16:51 pm »
whatever works. for self bows i try to keep the brace under 6 1/2: im sure others will say different .

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 08:26:15 pm »
        I keep brace at about 5 1/2 ". Like Jamie said " like noses everybody has one !" ;D....bob

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 04:14:37 pm »
Hey everybody I figured out what was going on. I have been shooting with a glove on my handle hand and it was the kind that has an extra pad in the grip and the fletch was catching as it cleared the handle and thats what was doing it. Thanks for all the help though. I'm banging it now.

jamie

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 07:14:44 pm »
cool. thatll do it. if you were using the glove so your hand didnt get bitten by the fletch , then the bow needed a tune up anyway. peace