Author Topic: What brand of tools do you recommend  (Read 5434 times)

Offline bigbird583

What brand of tools do you recommend
« on: December 30, 2012, 01:29:52 pm »
     So I'm going to start gathering up some of the hand tools that I am going to need and was wondering what brands have held up the best for you guys.  And what tools you all use too?  I try to find alot of stuff second hand at pawn shops or wherever and like to get "experienced" tools so any old name brands that aren't in business is OK.  I'm on a tight budget so I'll be looking to start off doing most things with hand tools.  I do have a few power tools but nothing to big.  I don't really know what all I need, and I'm sure it's like all other tools and you can never have enough, but if you guys could let me know what I need to get started that would sure help. 

Offline lostarrow

Re: What brand of tools do you recommend
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:41:28 pm »
Try the search tab. The question was answered by many in great detail not too long ago. Try" bow making tool kit " or "basic tool kit"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:07:30 pm »
I use an old camp hatchet. Don't know the brand. My drawknife is an oldie inherited from my Dad. My Surform is  a Stanley. My 4 in 1 scraper is a Nicholson. I think. I inherited that one. I bought a push knife from a 2nd hand store. I think it came from Sweden. I have no idea of the brand of shave hooks I use.  I agree with you. Buy good brands if you can. Stanley and Sears are some of my favorites. Here are some pictures of the tools. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/osage.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:43:43 pm »
the only brand I've seen held up on here are Shinto rasps got my self one for Christmas and love it
I like free stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:45:59 pm »
The only brand name tool I would suggest is the Stave Master. All the rest can be substituted!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:48:52 pm »
The most expensive you can afford. Tools are a true to life, "you get what you pay for!".

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 02:50:29 pm »
I would suggest a antique store, you may find a lot of old tools that need a new life in your shop. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
I use a lot of my great grandfathers tools. Take care of it and they last.

But I use Stanley or craftsman.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:52 pm »
Get the best quality tools you can afford. Good tools make all the difference.
Gordon

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:04:49 pm »
Used power tools are usually "quirky" and sometimes unpredictable.  I always buy my power tools new.  Besides, they come with a warrantee that way. ;D

For power tools, I would recommend a belt sander for shaping and an orbital sander for finishing.  All the rest can be done very effectively with basic, sharp, hand tools.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »
I would suggest a antique store, you may find a lot of old tools that need a new life in your shop. :)

I was about to suggest the same. We have an antique mall here that has lots of booths, like a flea market kinds. Lots and lots of old tool for really cheap, I mean 5 - 10 dollars for drawknifes, rasps, bench clams, hatchets, etc. I would also suggest craigslist for the power tools, or really anything. Craigslist is awesome. Supposedly I am picking up a working drill for 5 dollars sometime after the first.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline okie64

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 04:13:38 pm »
The most expensive you can afford. Tools are a true to life, "you get what you pay for!".

I'll second that. Good drawknife, ferriers rasp, scrapers and a good estwing or vaughn hatchet.

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 07:58:34 pm »
i use a Keencutter drawknife that i got at an antique store.a shinto 9"rasp,nicholson 49 and 50 rasp.a ferriers rasp from tractor supply.a 14"grizzly bandsaw that i just got.a chainsaw file for the nocks.i am poor,so i just keep searching and saving until i find stuff for the right price.good luck brother.i almost forgot my cabinet scrapers.they are garlik and sons from woodcraft.very good scrapers.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:22:48 pm »
i use a Keencutter drawknife that i got at an antique store.a shinto 9"rasp,nicholson 49 and 50 rasp.a ferriers rasp from tractor supply.a 14"grizzly bandsaw that i just got.a chainsaw file for the nocks.i am poor,so i just keep searching and saving until i find stuff for the right price.good luck brother.i almost forgot my cabinet scrapers.they are garlik and sons from woodcraft.very good scrapers.

Steve, I got the same ferriers rasp from tsc. The first one lasted me about 2 years before I decided to get a new one. It is my number one tool period. Do you bevel your scrappers with a metal rod/screw driver? I do, and I have no idea how to use one without beveling it. I was thinking about beveling the end of a mini hand plane I have, just to see if it would work as a "scrapper plane", as it keeps gouging out wood when I try to use it to plane some of the cedar boards I got. The cedar seems to be very brittle and it is easy to have grain tear out. I am guessing using a plane as a scrapper with not work though as the shaving with have nowhere to go when using the thing backwards,  ;D. When I use a card scrapper to plane it, it works ok, but the card planer seems to jump a bit and make uneven scraps no matter what.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 09:52:21 pm »
i do burnish my scrapers with a metal rod after i sharpen them on a file to get a good bur going.Daniel,try running your scrapers at different angles across the wood.it wil keep it from chattering of stair stepping the wood.
Middletown,Ohio