Author Topic: into the wild.  (Read 8859 times)

jamie

into the wild.
« on: October 14, 2007, 07:01:29 pm »
looks like they are making a movie of krakauer's book into the wild. hopefully they dont screw it up. if you havent read it it's a very good story about a man who gets sick of it all and dissapears into the alaskan wildernesss. peace

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: into the wild.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:48:26 pm »
Sounds like where I need to be ;D. Am currently reading - Sailing alone around the world/ Joshua Slocum: Nothing to do with primitive but interesting as hell - he was the first to do it around 1895.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:06:40 pm »
Jamie, is it the same guy a documentary was about, I think called "Alone in the Wilderness?" He was a scientist or engineer, and built a cabin, hunted, grew his own food, etc. He lived basicallly alone for many, many years. I saw that show a year or two ago on PBS, but it was during fund raising, so they didn't show the whole thing. Amazing guy.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Stick Shooter

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 08:27:11 pm »
That guy was awsome built his own log cabin with only a axe, and saw home made mallet ect... What a great show. Well worth watching. Stick Shooter

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 09:00:46 pm »
no i dont believe so. krakauer is the guy who wrote into thin air. the book about the worst everest expedition.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:03:51 pm »
              Guy ya thinkin' of is Dick Proeneke. Lived in alaskan wildernees fer over 30 years. Just left and was in his eighties and WANTS ta go back fer a visit ! hahah ! Went there when he was 50 years old. ;)..............bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 11:05:20 pm »
I read the book about the Everest expedition.I can see why he was disgusted While we are doing book review,Has anybody read Endurance,about Shackleton's Antarctic exhibition that was trapped and survived by going cross country and sailing in Life boats in the worlds most treacherous sea?If anybody wants to read it,you are welcome to it.Just PM me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Beleg813

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:57:54 pm »
Sounds like where I need to be ;D. Am currently reading - Sailing alone around the world/ Joshua Slocum: Nothing to do with primitive but interesting as hell - he was the first to do it around 1895.

Nice! I read that book about a month ago and loved every second of it. The man, even though not an author, really made me turn the pages. Think I read the entire book in 2 nights...

He had a few really timeless quotes in there.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:05:36 pm »
Sorry Jamie: Don't mean ta use your post about sailing the high seas - but yeah Beleg - I hardly read anymore. My brother lives on the Gulf, he works with his hands too and built himself a Dorry not long ago - now he's contemplating a sloop.....All about adventure and doin it yourself - OK, I'll shut it now ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:08:56 pm »
Oh yeah - I'd be interested in reading about this Krakuaer too. What's the title, where would I find it? Trying to reginerate some brain cells ;D ;D.

jamie

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 09:33:01 pm »
2 books ive read fromhim are into the wild and into thin air. no problem rhinestone im going to be picking up all the previously mentioned books. there is a good book a friend of mine wrote. jim dinas voyage of the ant. he builds a bark canoe with stone tools and uses it to sail up the ct river into new hampshire. its a cool read cause its basically a diary of a year in his life. peace

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 09:41:16 pm »
In a star spangled................... ;D. Cool, I'll see if I can find em. Man I'd love to do something like that - everyone needs at least a years freedom!

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 09:40:03 pm »
I read the book about the Everest expedition.I can see why he was disgusted While we are doing book review,Has anybody read Endurance,about Shackleton's Antarctic exhibition that was trapped and survived by going cross country and sailing in Life boats in the worlds most treacherous sea?If anybody wants to read it,you are welcome to it.Just PM me.

I did read the Endurance book. Amazing stuff. I have the book here about the River of Doubt, that almost killed Theodore Roosevelt, and have to get to it soon.

If you like survival stories, read up about Captain Bly, after he was forced into a longboat with a few loyal guys after the Bounty mutiny. He may have had a lot of issues, but Lt. Bly was a top rate sailor, and his voyage in that little longboat is epic stuff.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Harrifer

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 09:28:41 am »
It was on Newsnught Review on friday(in the UK). Some woman said she didn't side with him at all, but i don't suppose anybody expected her to. It's quite a dramatisation apparently.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 11:04:42 am »
Ive read several of these great books,but for the life of me I cant fathom why anyone would go up everest. Shoot there arent any deer let alone birds up at the top,just thin air and lots of punishing cold.  I just finished Gary Paulsens  Hatchet,got it from my daughter(its a scholastic) About a 13yr old boy plane wrecked and alone in the canadian wildernees with only a hatchet his mother had just gave him. Ireally liked it. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya