Author Topic: Who uses foot hold traps for cyotes or foxes ??????????????????????????????????  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

hey all just wondering who on here uses a foot hold trap on foxes and cyotes?
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Outbackbob48

Squirrelslayer, I do, I have been trapping since i was a kid an I'm getting kinda long in the tooth, I'm first kin of the grizzly bear that bit Jim Bridger's  _ss. :o :o ;D   Bob

Offline jeffhalfrack

Hey  slayer,,,I  bet  this  won't get  closed on this  site Lol  JeffW

Offline Squirrelslayer

yep traping comes under hunting so this time im in the right place 8)
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline TRACY

Haven't for a few years, but did for several years starting as an early teen into my 30's. I worked as a nuisance trapper for USDA-ADC Wildlife Services for about 8 years doing govt contract work. Not real fond of padded jaw traps for canines, but another fed govt rule. I was fortunate enough to attend Furtakers College in No. IN courtesy of the govt..  I enjoy water trapping the most.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

youngbowyer

foot hold traps are illegal in my state, we get by with snares ;) try snares, they are quicker to set, cost about 70 cents per snare to make, and they are easier to carry around.

Offline crooketarrow

I grew up traping with granddad carryin g me along a 6 or 7. Iwent everyday on his trap lines. There was'nt any yotes here then but me and my granddady tear up the foxs up.  Prices were up to $65.00 on reds $45.00 on grays $40.00 for coons with rats up to 8.50. When I got a little older.   
   I've caught 200 rats a year a few times but uselly stayed around 100.  33 FOXS MY BEST WITH FOOT HOLD TRAPS. But like young bowed said locking snares is were it's at. AS LONG AS YOU DON'T MIND CATS. This is farm lands here and everyone is fenced in. Snares and fences go hand in hand. Anywhere theres a hole going under the fence is a good place for a snare. My best year I caught 81 reds, 17 coons,  10 posums 2 skunks, 7 cats and a little house dog, all in snares. I'd alway catch anywhere from 30 to 60 foxs a year foot hold and snares. But later on I only snared. You could carry way more and alot less of everything else.
  Locking snares don't know or care what they catch. It's up to you to set them to avoid house pets. You don't have any trouble avioding large dogs but cats are another thing. I never cared much for cats growing up anyways.
  But I grantee you if you find a hole under the fence, spray fox urine on both sides theres not a fox alive that can stand not to go over to the other side to find out who the new guy is.
 I've make 1000's out of lowes snares 16th steel wire and washers. About 20 cents each at the time.
   I've made lots from smaller 32 th cable and and caught coons,rats ,squirrels. No better thing to take on survile trips than snares. Plus most of all it teachs you the ways of the animals your after.
   I'd always deer hunt from a little kid up but around 20 or 21 I told GRANDDAD I want to be a buck hunter. And for the last 30 years of my life it's centered around buck hunting.
   At the time I did'nt know how much traping would  contrube my buck hunting.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Ozzy

Squirrelslayer, I do, I have been trapping since i was a kid an I'm getting kinda long in the tooth, I'm first kin of the grizzly bear that bit Jim Bridger's  _ss. :o :o ;D   Bob
lol I love that movie
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
Haven't for a few years, but did for several years starting as an early teen into my 30's. I worked as a nuisance trapper for USDA-ADC Wildlife Services for about 8 years doing govt contract work. Not real fond of padded jaw traps for canines, but another fed govt rule. I was fortunate enough to attend Furtakers College in No. IN courtesy of the govt..  I enjoy water trapping the most.

Tracy

Where can I get that job!!  :o
Not all those who wander are lost.