Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 815630 times)

Offline Keenan

What Did You Do Today?
« on: January 05, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »
 David (DVSHunter) has had a thread going on another site that I really like and I thought it might be good to start one here. It's been fun to see what others are doing on a daily bases and it helps to get to know people as well. Since this is our campfire section We can think of this as a sit down and share your day by the fire.
So Please join in and share your day!

Today I finished up a Sturgeon fillet knife and got the first coat of finish on the Sister stave that I've been working on. Seems like I've been sanding on this one since last year,,,, ::) OK I guess it has been since last year. It was a little heavy and I thought it would drop weight enough on the sand out.Sand and shoot some more, sand and shoot some ore and sand,,,,,well you get the picture.  Sure has been a good work out for the arms and it is still a touch heavy.

I wanted a longer knife for the sturgeon skinning so decided to make one. Not sure if I like the hand guard but got to play with the new anvil.

This bow is number two of four sister staves. Just the first coat of finish today. Once again It seems somewhere in the process I fell in love with this piece of wood. Like the bowyers rule says "don't get married to the wood".  But at times I'm guilty of having short love affairs with these character bows. I know she'll be well loved where she is going when she's done. ;D

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:17:57 am by jackcrafty »

Offline seabass

Re: What did you do Today?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:21:38 pm »
my day didn't go as good as yours brother.i was going to floor tiller my snakey osage today.as luck would have it,she broke a brakeline on her car.i spent all day laying in the snow under her car.that is a very cool knife.reminds me of a sword that a pirate would have.and the bow(WOW)it is another Keenan masterpiece.thanks for the look.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:22:15 pm »
 I went dove hunting. I'll be back to grinding hog meat and bagging again tomorrow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:22 pm »
Everything you do is done to a pristine status Keenan.Like the knife and what a wiggly piece of wood....LOL.What kind of finish are you using?
I put a couple pair of overlays on two hickorys today.No pictures of course.But it's always mostly horn with my overlays.Think I'll try to get these two hickorys done while I wait for two sinewed bows to cure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:29:12 pm »
Steve, sorry to hear that Bro. Some days are just that way. Yesterday was that day for me.

Eddie, Dove hunting,,,,,,You lucky Dog,,, We have a foot of snow still and toady was the first day above freezing for over a week

Beadman, Thanks the black is Gemsbuk horn and osage accents . Finish is spray on poly. Best to work on another while watching sinew dry,LOL

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:29:49 pm »
Oh is that a bit of osage in the handle of your knife?
BowEd
Ed

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:35:00 pm »
Yes, Osage front and back of horn, The blade was out of an old mill saw bade and the guard made from stainless rod

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:38:29 pm »
I've made a few knives myself...bear jaw,deer leg bone,coon jaw handled patch knives etc. and your knife would of taken me a while to make.Did you make a sheath for it too?
BowEd
Ed

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:41:15 pm »
Not yet just finished the knife today, That will be next

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:49:27 pm »
i worked on a plains style sinew backed osageand an ironwood longbow and i finished a knife for Eric and worked on a new drawknife. and i played with the dog for awhile and read a book
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:56:47 pm »
I sorted thru the debitage pile and picked out the usable flakes for small points.  Also sorted thru three buckets that were full.  For some reaon they only had debitage on the top.  I ended up with a large flat rate box of obsidian and dacite spalls, and two smaller boxes of usable flakes and half a bucket of usable stone flakes and two buckets of bigger stuff and spalls.  It all got lined up beside my boxes and buckets of untouched rock. While digging thru all of it I found 35 preform/ bifaces and ten started and never finished points.  Only one finished point.  I always wondered what I did with it.

Nice fillet knife and bow Keenan.  I need to get back into the osage.  Its been a while since I scraped on one.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 10:13:32 pm »
Killer, sounds like a great day! Be sure to post some pics when you can. The plains bow sounds nice. Worked some ironwood a while back.

Madcrow, Thanks,  I wish I could get to my rocks. Gets dangerous digging for obsidian in the snow  :o

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:59:13 pm »
Goodness Keenan what an ambitious feller you are. Many of us have seen sisters we'd like to rub oil on but want and do? Four sisters? for Pete sake hide the knife lad! >:D Myself helped the uncle load a pick up load of wood for his mother in-law, let my dog Sly run a bit, oiled my boots, sat around on my duff and annoyed the heck out of my wife O:) yep lazy day. Tomorrow though Sly and I are headed to the Mtns. to see if we can find some staves and maybe a few shafts.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 11:05:16 pm »
Watched toy story 3 times, played barbie and changed poopy diapers.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:49 pm »
Amazing work as usual Keenan.  Your craftsmanship is incredible.

Today was a rough one for me.  I dropped my baby off at the auto salvage yard and then watched my Bengals get put out of the playoffs  :(   To cheer myself up I put the finishing touches on my Christmas trade bow.  I built a shelf up out of leather and then stitched up a handle wrap for it.  Finally getting it done was a relief.  I'll do some final testing tomorrow and ship it out on Monday.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left