Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 834263 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1965 on: July 08, 2014, 11:29:39 am »
Nice work, Double-O. 

I like working in stormy weather, too.  But not as much as I like camping in stormy weather.  Something plumb wunnerful about sitting in my canvas tent with the wood stove crackling while the weather does it's thing!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline okie64

« Reply #1966 on: July 09, 2014, 04:00:24 pm »
Nice looking slabs Clint and very nice saw. I gotta get me one of those:)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1967 on: July 09, 2014, 09:24:04 pm »
I put a dozen 2# channel cats in the brine so they are ready for smoking.  They didn't start biting last nite until about 10 p.m.  By the time I got into their rhythm, I was outa bait and ready to go home.  Enough moonlight that I didn't have to use my headlamp, either.  Ahhhh, a wunnerful nite.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1968 on: July 10, 2014, 12:10:31 pm »
I am setting up a 3D range in my yard and still had 3 targets to patch, finished them up yesterday.

The leopard was shot to pieces, I bought it for $20 after a tournament. Great Stuff foam works wonders, it is painted and ready for my new range. I need a cheap air brush for these fixes as a rattle can is pretty sloppy.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1969 on: July 10, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »
Eric, wished I could find some of those old worn out treasures around here to refurbish. I have the perfect spot across the creek and would love to do a setup like you have.

I awoke early to check storm damage from last nights hail storm and found a discarded stave in my woodpile. Can't understand why I threw this in there. 63" with some bug damage so I removed the bark and sapwood, then went down 4 or 5 rings to find a pretty darn nice stave. Even though the top rings are close it should be a good candidate for a bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1970 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:39 am »
My blueberry bushes are loaded, the freezer is stocked with them and I have a lot of extra berries that I would hate to have go to waste. Today I am making my first attempt at blueberry preserves.

10 cups of blueberries, 5 cups of sugar and off we go.

About an hour latter, SUCCESS! Perfectly gelled and with a bold blueberry taste.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1971 on: July 16, 2014, 10:03:34 am »
Eric, our blueberries would make green preserves this time of year. ;D
Those look delicious.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1972 on: July 16, 2014, 10:17:21 am »
Pure distilled summertime in a jar, Eric!  A jar of those would be cherished in the Christmas Exchange every bit as much as the wildest character stave!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1973 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:12 pm »
so, begs the question.... do you want to trade some of that away?

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #1974 on: July 16, 2014, 09:32:19 pm »
My wife and I are camping for a week of holidays in the Temagami region of Ontario,Canada and my wife and I got to meet a Very Wonderful couple near Corbeil just east of North Bay. Yes it was with Marc & Anne-Marie St.Louis. We had a very nice afternoon chatting and touring their wonderful place. Thanks again Marc & Anne-Marie

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1975 on: July 18, 2014, 12:04:43 am »
A friend of my brother in law gave me this lathe tonight.  Its an older harbor freight model.  Now I need to get some tools and learn how to use it.  I see some custom rasp handles in my future  :D

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1976 on: July 18, 2014, 12:19:39 am »
To start out I bought an el-cheapo set of lathe chisels at one of those roving Chinese tool sales for a whopping $9, with the plan to buy good ones later. Later I bought what was listed as a set of Craftsman chisels off eBay, when they arrived they were the exact same $9 chisels I had already, I was scammed. I sent them back.

Bottom line, you can make some fine file handles with el-cheapo tools.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1977 on: July 18, 2014, 12:29:14 am »
Eric, I purchased a couple different sets from Grizzly a few years ago and IMO a very good product for a reasonable cost.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1978 on: July 18, 2014, 09:27:59 am »
I haven't looked at Grizzly's lathe tools. As far as carving chisels goes I have an abundance since I have built a few flintlock rifles lately. My best set of chisels is made by Flex Cut, really pricy, but very good stuff.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1979 on: July 18, 2014, 09:44:10 am »
What a day, I had the trunks of three big oaks cut to firewood length sitting in my yard. Happiness is having a friend with a 25 ton log splitter who will let me borrow it. I started splitting wood yesterday and got back after it at 8am this morning, got about two cords split. Most of this wood was too big in diameter to lift onto the splitter so I had to turn the splitter vertical and roll each section into the splitter while on my knees, very tiring. 

I like to do nice things for folk so I gave the wood to a good friend who is planning to heat his gun shop with wood this winter.

Well, I have several friends who burn wood and plan to stock them all up for the winter. I have about a dozen more trees to cut to make a fire lane/buffer zone between my house and the woods. So, I cut another large oak, It took all day to cut, split and pile up the wood as well as burn the top in a brush pile. When I finished with the wood at 5pm it was blueberry picking time, picked two gallons and went in the house at 7:30PM.

It is nice to know that this 66 year old old dude can still put in an honest days work, now pass the Advil......
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:09:29 am by Eric Krewson »