Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 834443 times)

ksnow and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1980 on: July 18, 2014, 12:18:13 pm »
Yep Eric - You are among those who know how to work. My dad will be 70 in March 2015 and he out works my two boys at home with  batting an eye.  He retired from Fire fighting in the USFS.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1981 on: July 18, 2014, 01:14:36 pm »
Yeah Ben your dad looks like he could still worked a lot of young pups into the ground ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1982 on: July 18, 2014, 01:43:22 pm »
Let's hear it for Lumberjack Eric!  Honest day's work, indeed.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marks

« Reply #1983 on: July 18, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »
I have a homemade lathe at home that was inherited from the man who lived in my house before me. All of his chisels he left are also home made from old files. He was a very talented man. I also have hand made belt sanders and his son in law took a hand made floor to ceiling bandsaw with him when we bought the house. If I had 1% of the talent that man had I'd be set. He died over 10 years ago and we bought the house when his wife went into the nursing home.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1984 on: July 19, 2014, 10:51:27 am »
It rained all day so I couldn't reprise my lumberjack roll. I cooked 14 deer sausage patties, about 5 pounds total, on the gas grill outside. I cook a lot sausage at one time and vacuum seal individual patties to speed up breakfast with precooked sausage. I had been using a George Forman type grill for mass cookings but thought a little hickory smoke added to my sausage would be a nice complement to my eggs in the morning.

After I finished with the sausage I made another batch of blueberry preserves, came out real nice. I added a little more lemon juice and got a slightly tarter jam, very good.     

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1985 on: July 19, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »
Mmmm. little smoke on that sausage makes breakfast even better. 

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #1986 on: July 19, 2014, 01:54:01 pm »
Ran 6 miles, took a shower and shot my bow for 30 minutes. It's a little after noon now so shopping with the wife.

Colorado elk will be here soon...... ;D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bubby

« Reply #1987 on: July 19, 2014, 03:24:23 pm »
I've been down for the last week but I managed to process some backing material, still have a few in the freezer but i'm good for now

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1988 on: July 19, 2014, 08:17:17 pm »
I reprised my lumberjack roll but only dropped a big oak and a medium cherry. I cut them up into firewood lengths but decided to take it easy and do the splitting and hauling tomorrow.

Take it easy.... that is until I looked at my pile of bark on osage under the deck while I was parking my tractor and saw mounds of dust under my billet length stuff. Dang, two matched billets had dozens of holes in each piece. Both had a big dead limb growing out of them so I cut the limb/butt ends off and could see that the wood wasp holes had gone several inches into the heart wood at the saw cut.

So much for stopping for the day, this calls for drastic measures. I took the two most bug riddled pieces up to my shop to try to split off the cores below the worm damage. Both billets were 6" deep so I started my end split on the first piece 3" down from the back and popped the core off, no worm damage at the level I split. Did the same with billet #2 and hit the last two wasp larva right in the grain I split on, mighty gratifying to squash the little buggers. I took the saved billets into the shop for several liberal coats of shellac on the backs and ends.

The rest of my billets had one or two holes in each of them so I torched the holes with a mapp gas torch which I have found in the past will stop them in their tracks. Sprayed the untouched stuff with diazonon which is probably the 5th application of the stuff on this pile of wood.

The osage wood pile is safe!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:20:19 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1989 on: July 20, 2014, 11:55:08 pm »
Dang Bubby.  Those are some nice looking serpents.  Glad you are feeling better.

I had a good day in the garage.  I started out removing the bark on a hackberry stave.  Then I started tillering a kids bow.  I put that down and got out the belt sander to clean up a bow I roughed out several days ago.  Then the wife wanted me to make new shelves for her rabbits cages.  I discovered my 50? year old jig saw wouldn't run so I took it apart and bypassed the on/off switch.  That didn't work.  I guess the motor is shot.  I had to get out the band saw and change out the blade.  Then I touched up the tuning a little on it.  After I got it running smooth I finished the rabbit shelves and put them in the cages.  While I had my saw out I cut a few more osage slabs for knife handles.  Then I decided to make a new caul with more reflex.  I finished that up and it was time to clean up for dinner.  I didn't get done what I had wanted to but it was a productive day I guess.  Maybe tomorrow I'll get the kids bow shooting and get the other bow on the caul.

My old form is on the right.  I followed the Gary Davis video directions when I made that one.  The new one is like the one WillH has at Pappy's place.  I used his caul last year and really liked how the bow came out.  Thanks for giving me the dimensions Will.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #1990 on: July 23, 2014, 07:50:17 am »
Not today but over the weekend,.... took a couple of the grandkids camping. Great fun but a little tiring, the two of them are cousins and get along great with each other. Nate is 5 and Clohe is 4, he's super easy going and she is just
a little needy but so damn cute you can't take it. Here's a few pics. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Stringman

« Reply #1991 on: July 23, 2014, 12:01:53 pm »
Man you hit a nice weekend for camping! Cute kids!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1992 on: July 23, 2014, 06:24:37 pm »
Great pictures Greg,  cute kids and the somore's always brings out the smiles.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1993 on: July 23, 2014, 09:33:42 pm »
Not sure who looks happier, the kids, the dog, or the wife, Greg!  Looks like you hit the trifecta!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1994 on: July 23, 2014, 10:18:20 pm »
That looks like a couple energy bunnies you and the wife are trying to wind down there Greg!!!  ;D
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.