Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 834362 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2265 on: September 08, 2015, 02:00:39 pm »
Very COOL JW!
One of my favorite pirds of prey, I notice them sitting on power lines while I'm driving, thier quite common here in western New York.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2266 on: September 09, 2015, 09:56:20 pm »
Very COOL JW!
One of my favorite pirds of prey, I notice them sitting on power lines while I'm driving, thier quite common here in western New York.

Kevin

Good to hear that Kevin, in many parts of the east coast area their numbers are down 90% or more.  It is a trend that has been building for about 5 years and it is starting to cause worry.

I was offered a female kestrel from a rehabber in New York but was unable to accept the bird due to space constraints.  She offered the bird to another rehabber that does education and that person accepted the bird only to find it had absolutely NO problem flying.  The little minx was then transferred to a Master Falconer that is training the bird to hunt.  It is slow going, being so late in the season, but there is hope that this little bird will get blooded and quick at killing soon so she can be released and make the fall migration south. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2267 on: September 10, 2015, 01:10:56 am »
Thats really awesome JW! One of my cousins boyfriends a while back had a Falcon that he hunted with. I got to watch her in action once! Birds of prey are amazing creatures. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2268 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:51 am »
A couple of years ago the tree in a back yard flower bed got so huge it started deforming the block wall, it had to go.

The flower bed fell into disrepair after my wife died, I am not a flower bed guy. I started removing the bed a few months ago. I gave away the retaining wall block, all 350 of them. Next I removed about 2 dump truck loads of dirt from around the old stump.

If you are in the market for a small tractor, don't even think about getting one without a front end loader.

Lots of removing what was left after having the huge stump ground, filling in and leveling, then down with the sod. I put out 2600 yards when I built my house 14 years ago. I had some good help from some energetic high school kids, it was hard work but not too bad. At 67 putting out one pallet was a major chore.

I calculated that I needed 51 yards to complete the project, there are 50 yards on a pallet, being an OCD kind of guy I drove back to town for 5 more pieces to complete the last row.

Done, this project whipped me. I spent two days filling, leveling and raking rocks (4 tractor buckets full) before I put the first piece of sod down. The picture is before I drove to town for a few more pieces of sod to fill out the row.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:39:32 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline bubby

« Reply #2269 on: September 10, 2015, 10:18:52 am »
Nobody could accuse you of being lazy Eric
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2270 on: September 14, 2015, 08:11:31 pm »
We trimmed the trails to our stand sights today.  We are putting them out later this week.  We put a few in the same location and moved a few.  We put out 7 stands and 2 ground blinds.  We moved one stand to a grove of oak trees in a slight gully.  Looks like a great spot.  We have seen a lot of buck movement in that spot from other stands.  When we trimmed the trail to the tree the best route took us right between 2 large osage trees that have split and fell apart.  The old brush mower barely fit between the root balls.  It will be a good spot to stop on the way to the stand and look around for movement.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2271 on: September 19, 2015, 06:52:32 am »
I guess my back garden is a tad small by comparison ::) but I've been trimming a cherry tree (under Mrs Cat's supervision of course :-* )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2272 on: September 19, 2015, 08:16:12 am »
Had one of those fun days, time for a little testing, no polyps or cancer was found.

Offline DC

« Reply #2273 on: September 19, 2015, 01:35:23 pm »
That's the same color a JW's honey >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2274 on: September 22, 2015, 05:49:17 am »
Nice yard work Eric, I would have probably just let the grass take it natural like. :) Also I got one of them fun days coming soon/man I don't like that deal at all. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2275 on: September 22, 2015, 08:57:06 am »
Because the back yard is on a pretty steep slope I have to cover bare ground or it will wash away with the first big rain. I have been changing the grass from Bermuda to Zoysa over the last few years with a lot of sprigging. Most of the grass around my "patch" is Zoysa so I got a big area swapped over at one time .

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2276 on: September 23, 2015, 08:21:48 pm »
That's the same color a JW's honey >:D >:D >:D >:D

SSSSSSHHHH!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2277 on: September 23, 2015, 08:22:30 pm »
Had one of those fun days, time for a little testing, no polyps or cancer was found.

The dread "Night of a Thousand Waterfalls".

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2278 on: September 23, 2015, 09:19:25 pm »
That's sick, Jdub.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2279 on: September 24, 2015, 09:25:41 am »
This is a precautionary tale for those over 50 who haven't suffered through this minor indignity for whatever reason;

One of our brightest and best all round bow maker peers didn't have the test, later he ignored the signs until it was too late. He died from colon cancer after suffering through several years of unimaginable physical horrors. He was my friend and a mighty fine man named David Mims, many of you may remember him as the best bow tillering wizard out there who often posted on this forum.

Put aside the excuses and go get the test!