Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 834434 times)

bjrogg and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2310 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:49 am »
Damn Eric, you'd best just stay in your favorite chair today and read a book today. No power tools mister!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2311 on: October 20, 2015, 06:43:22 pm »
I would have just went home and went to bed. Lol!
We've all had days like that!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2312 on: October 21, 2015, 05:08:17 am »
OK JW you went to far on the barley pop statement. ;) :) I have lost 20lbs since the Classic and do feel much better, I was border line on my blood pressure and didn't want to get on any medicine, the doc told me to try losing a few pounds and walk more and see if that wouldn't take care of it and it did.  ;) :) Eric I have had them kind of days. Glad they don't come around to often. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2313 on: October 21, 2015, 10:33:14 am »
Yesterday afternoon about 4:00 Lucy(my choc lab) and I headed for the mail box like we do most day. Outside I could smell smoke and could see some too. As I got to the bottom of the driveway I could see a plume of smoke coming up from the power right of way behind my barn(where I hold the camp-o-rama). I went back to the house to call 911 then went to get the mail. I waited at the mail box to direct the ire truck in.
 Turns out a dead tree fell across the power line, bringing it down in the dry leaves. Soon, volunteer firemen and forestry guys were on the attack and within a few hours the fire was out and the excitement was over. Here are a few pics. Only leaf litter burned. In another week or two more leaves would be down and it could have been worse. Here are a few pics I took this morning...

this is what the unburned looks like...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2314 on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:11 am »
Dang Pat, you got lucky there my friend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2315 on: October 21, 2015, 11:45:12 am »
Fortunately the fire dept is only a few miles away. Most of the fires we have around here are mostly leaf litter this time of year. In steeper terrain where they can't get equipment in it can get worse. Plus, our ground is pretty wet so other plants aren't too susceptible.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2316 on: October 25, 2015, 07:18:31 pm »
I have been working on a problematical takedown static recurve bow for a while and it is giving me fits. The tillering is coming in so slowly that it is frustrating,  I decided I needed a break from bows and have been on a tear making cane arrows.

I dug out some cane I had in the attic and found it straightens easily and spines out just where I need it to,  around 55#. I am always amazed just how good a properly made cane arrow shoots, as good as any wood and right up there with carbon arrows.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2317 on: October 26, 2015, 07:00:29 am »
Very nice Eric! Looks like an advertisement for tight bond and Tru oil!  >:D

By the way guy's I've lost 12lbs and my recovery is coming along pretty good. I'm back to work and can walk about 2 miles now!

Well I finally got my cabin fever fixed after being laid up for a  couple of weeks. I still can't string my Osage bows yet so I had my neighbor string up my recurve. I was able to shoot it, ok. After a few practice should shots I was pretty much right back on my mark. So I decided to go to the woods and do a little hunting. I called my brother and my nephew and asked them if they would come help me with a deer if I was to get lucky. Since I probably shouldn't be pulling around and loading a deer by myself.

Anyways, it was a good couple of hours of wood time,both today and yesterday. I seen an 8 point and 2 does. Came within 35 yards but not quite close enough. And I never got a clean shot anyway. Nice buck, I thought for a moment he was going to come around a fallen tree. If he would have, he would have been within my 20 yard comfort zone. But of course he turned and walked straight away from me and out of sight. Anyway it sure was a lot of fun have the encounter!  Couldn't help but to take a couple of pictures. I love the timber!
Patrick

This is right where I walked in!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2318 on: October 26, 2015, 05:18:42 pm »
Good to see you back at it Patrick!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2319 on: October 26, 2015, 06:04:30 pm »
Glad you are out and about Patrick, nothing like a day in the woods to do ya good. Can't wait till I can shoot my bow again, thinking about getting out the. Old 22 and go after some tree rats. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2320 on: October 26, 2015, 06:24:09 pm »
Thanks DBar, thanks Pappy I appreciate it!

Pappy, growing up I learned more about hunting walking the woods with a 22 chasing those tree rats. Also it's a good way to scout for deer and Turkey!
Patrick

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2321 on: October 26, 2015, 09:11:40 pm »
Patrick, good to see you out hunting! I noticed you'd been awful quiet but didn't hear about the surgery. Glad to see you recovering.

This weekend I started working on a few bow projects, it seems like I'm a little too ADD to do one from start to finish.... They'll get done soon I'm sure.

First is a short sassafras D-bow that I'm sure will end up breaking. 52" ntn, 1 5/8" wide and going for a short 24" draw. Maybe. It's like 13 oz. right now and I feel like even a scraper is too aggressive for this wood.

Second is a bow for my girlfriend. Heat treated honey locust with a yellowheart riser and curly oak accent stripe. I haven't been impressed with the past bows from this wood so I made this one a little wider.

I got a little ambitious with the next one. Extreme deflexed recurve based on a glass bow form I had laying around. I have no idea if this will end up as a performer or a catastrophic failure. My heat gun gave up the ghost before I got to align the tips so it may sit it the corner for a while to "season".

The Island of Misfit Bows.

Springfield, MO

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2322 on: October 26, 2015, 09:55:24 pm »
Thanks a bunch David!

I think I have an island like yours! Except mine keep escaping to different areas of my house! Patrick

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2323 on: October 31, 2015, 09:28:17 am »
I went off in the deep woods with my treestand on my back, what's the big deal you say? This was my first test of how my heart reacted to climbing ridges with a heavy load after having two stents installed in my heart. I am happy to report "0" angina and plenty of strength.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2324 on: October 31, 2015, 09:53:59 am »
Good deal Eric!

Patrick