Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 846985 times)

Offline looper

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2520 on: November 04, 2016, 09:10:04 pm »
Finally cleaned up one wall of my shop.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2521 on: November 04, 2016, 09:12:37 pm »
Nice CRAPlock rifle (says the guy with one of the same and several FLINCHrocks).

Looks nice in there, buddy!  A guy could relax in that atmosphere.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline looper

« Reply #2522 on: November 04, 2016, 09:26:59 pm »
That rifle was bought new in 1821 by one of my 3rd great grandpas. It was original a flintlock and was converted sometime in the late 1800s. I'm going to make a duplicate of it.

(I originally had the year wrong)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:22:14 am by looper »

Offline looper

« Reply #2523 on: November 04, 2016, 09:30:35 pm »
And my new shelf, built from another set of shelves my grandpa built back in the 1960s. Haven't loaded it down with my books, yet. An old desk will go under it.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:38:20 pm by looper »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2524 on: November 04, 2016, 09:47:41 pm »
That rifle was bought new in 1851 by one of my 3rd great grandpas. It was original a flintlock and was converted sometime in the late 1800s. I'm going to make a duplicate of it.

That "thunk" sound was my jaw hitting the ground.  That is a level of cool I just cannot imagine!

Offline loon

« Reply #2525 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »
wake up
work in compilers assignment a bit remotely with partner
go to class
be tired for no apparent reason

UPS doesn't take returns at drop-off over 16x13x3"..??! Sigh

Will make a flemish jig & string for someone's fiberglass laminated longbow. I need to make some sinew glue for fixing that blemish in my hornbow..

edit: Pretty much made a flemish jig.

This BCY "black cherry" looks like some metallic pinkish purple.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:27:04 pm by loon »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2526 on: November 05, 2016, 10:43:53 pm »
If the gun was new in 1851 it is highly unlikely it was ever a flintlock. A close up picture of the lock would tell the story.

Speaking of flintlocks; I took my .54 to the woods today but forgot to hold low on a big doe about 25 yards away. A damp morning, damp priming powder and slow ignition give a deer on high alert time to "jump the string", I shot over her back.

Offline looper

« Reply #2527 on: November 06, 2016, 01:20:51 am »
It was definitely a flintlock. I had the year wrong, though. I was actually looking up information about the gunmaker, and he died in 1849. It could have been 1821, or maybe 1831. My aunt has a handwritten note about the history of the gun written by my great, great grandpa. She keeps it with the powder horn and a patched up possibles bag. Where the date is written, the 3rd digit in right on a fold in the paper.

She actually has a picture of my 3rd great grandpa Miles Singleton holding the rifle before he went off to fight in the Civil War. He was holding that gun, and it is clearly a flintlock in the picture. I don't think he took that rifle to fight in the war, though.

The lock was converted to a caplock. The prime pan was sawn off, and you can see where the main spring was. A friend of mine, Don Bruton, looked it over with me the day it came into my hands. We partially disassembled it, and he pointed out all the changes made to the lock. He's a master gunsmith and has handled who knows how many original guns, so I'm confident he knows what he's talking about.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:33:18 am by looper »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2528 on: November 08, 2016, 12:53:32 pm »
With that time frame it was definitely a flintlock that was converted.

I am familiar with Don's work, top notch!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:00:23 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2529 on: November 08, 2016, 12:56:17 pm »
I had my friends .50 bored out by Bobby Hoyt to .54. Of course my friend didn't have any .54 stuff so I outfitted him completely from my stash. Later I found I only had one .54 loading block and it went with my friend.

No problem says I, I will buy a 35/64" bit and make myself another block, that is until I found I could buy a bit online for $7 but the shipping would be more than the bit.

I looked through my old bit drawer and found a rusty 3/4" spade bit. I ground down the sides to the correct size and proceeded to make myself a new loading block, it worked perfectly.

Osage, from a selfbow limb with too many rotten knots to fool with that I had put in the burn pile.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2530 on: November 09, 2016, 04:06:49 am »
Waste not - good save Eric ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2531 on: November 12, 2016, 09:26:03 am »
I got my first rifle kill this morning.  Our state finally allowed certain rifle calibers this season.  I bought a Remington .243 and sighted it in at 50 yards. Our property is very thick and tangled with trees.  This morning a doe came in behind me.  At the same time a small buck crossed in front of me.  I had to wait until he was out of site before I could stand to shoot.  She saw me move and was about ready to bolt.  Most of her chest was blocked by a tree.  I aimed as far back as I could and pulled the trigger.  She was quartering towards me so I was confident it would do the job.  It was only a 15 yard shot.  She ran less than 20 yards and dropped.  I have a goal of killing a deer with every possible weapon type.  After this morning the only thing left on my list is a FG bow.  I'm done hunting for the season.  That is 3 in the freezer.  Might end up with 4 if my Dad or kids get one.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2532 on: November 12, 2016, 11:28:15 am »
Congrats Clint nice work. .243 is i fine deer caliber
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2533 on: November 12, 2016, 12:53:56 pm »
Thanks.  It sure did a number on that doe.  I found half a lung under the shoulder blade.  That doe was at least 1.5 years old.  It should be some tender steaks.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2534 on: November 12, 2016, 01:41:06 pm »
Not sure if that was a rifle shot or the dinner bell ringing, Clint!  (.243, most under rated deer cartridge)