Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 832848 times)

Offline loon

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2565 on: December 03, 2016, 09:14:48 pm »
Poured sinew glue (very little but likely enough) on a tupperware container. Will scrape fat off when it gels. Then hopefully I can eventually fix up my hornbow. ..

Those stave press things could be very helpful for untwisting the siyahs

Say what they will about the historical accuracy of TC guns, the barrels were sound and accurate!

Wow. Just see a cheap one online. No FFL required. Really, rather tempting. Even though I think I'd like a breechloader.. Aaand I don't know where I'd shoot it. California doesn't have many ranges as far as I know, but whatever exist say "no black powder".
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:02:52 pm by loon »

Offline bubby

« Reply #2566 on: December 03, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »
Calif has lots of ranges, maybe not as many in that vast wasteland of so cal
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #2567 on: December 03, 2016, 10:03:48 pm »
You have fat in your hide glue? I don't think that sounds good, that stuff should be super clean before you make glue

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2568 on: December 03, 2016, 11:46:40 pm »
What are you using to get fat in your glue?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline loon

« Reply #2569 on: December 04, 2016, 03:24:24 am »
Mostly unprocessed, but dry deer leg sinew. I guess next time I should process, wash w/ dish soap, remove the stuff that isn't sinew. It just looked oily at the surface. After straining it seemed to go away, mostly? And after it gelled, didn't notice any. was intending to scrape it after it gelled, maybe it was too thin anyway
Maybe overcooked it, flakes seem brittle.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:41:02 am by loon »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2570 on: December 04, 2016, 07:54:55 am »
I save only the clean sinew scraps while processing it.  I shred them up into fine strands for making glue.  When it gels up there isn't any fat to skim off.  It makes an excellent glue.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2571 on: December 04, 2016, 11:25:52 am »
One major stumbling block for shooting M/L in Ca is you can't shoot lead projectiles, the tree huggers have had lead banned.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2572 on: December 04, 2016, 11:51:26 am »
Eric that ban doesn't go into effect till 2019, but you will still be able to use lead at shooting ranges which is silly as that will have the highest concentrations of lead one would think.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2573 on: December 07, 2016, 05:03:26 pm »
Speaking of tree huggers, Eric. I think I smell one now?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2574 on: December 07, 2016, 06:07:09 pm »
The Huggers tried to have the EPA declare shooting ranges Toxic waste Sites because of the lead. But, George Bush's cabinet put a stop to it. All ranges basicly have Amnesty.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2575 on: December 09, 2016, 06:17:36 pm »
I got a call at work this evening from my wife.  Her and my daughter were on their way to do some Christmas shopping when a car crossed the center line in front of them.  She swerved onto the shoulder to try to avoid the other car but it still hit them.  Luckily they weren't injured, just a little sore.  It would have been a lot worse if she had stayed in her lane.  Probably a head on crash.  When the car hit clipped them it spun them in  a complete circle.  This is the second time she's been hit by another car with one of our kids with her.  This past Memorial Day a kid lost control of his car and crashed through the room where she worked.  If it hadn't of been a holiday she would have been crushed.  She's had a few close calls.  She thinks the kid that hit her today was texting.  When the cop told him they were going to check his phone records he just put his head down and didn't say anything. 

On a positive note, the tire that he hit was due to be replaced soon.  The other 3 are new.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2576 on: December 09, 2016, 06:27:36 pm »
Glad everyone was not hurt.......
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2577 on: December 09, 2016, 06:45:15 pm »
She might be unlucky, but she's really lucky. Sure glad no one was hurt. I remember you posting about that Memorial Day one.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2578 on: December 09, 2016, 06:57:40 pm »
She might be unlucky, but she's really lucky. Sure glad no one was hurt. I remember you posting about that Memorial Day one.
Bjrogg

That one scared us BJ. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2579 on: December 09, 2016, 08:10:49 pm »
A teenage girl was killed and her friend critically injured yesterday in town. She ran into the back of a simi wide open, no skid marks. They haven't given the cause yet but I suspect it was texting.

My phone doesn't  text, I have hands free calling and have noticed I still get distracted just talking to someone, especially when I am calling a friend to tell them how my evening hunt went. I can't imagine trying to text someone.