Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 817629 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2595 on: December 21, 2016, 08:09:48 pm »
Another 100 stave tree?

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2596 on: December 21, 2016, 08:30:26 pm »
I don't know.  It's not as big of diameter but its taller.  There are a few straight sections at the top where it limbs out.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2597 on: December 22, 2016, 01:53:31 am »
I have been wearing black socks with a worn out on my #2 pair of hikers for a while now so that white socks don't show the holes. I guessed they were due for retiring. When I buy a new pair the #1 pair becomes #2.  It's a system.  With today being my birthday, I was planning on dumping my change jar out for the $60-80 that accumulated in the last year, making up the difference from the checkbook.  But then I saw where our local sheriff's dept and the Humane Society had raided a puppy mill and 75 sick, starved, and abused animals had been confiscated. 

I really liked that pair of #2 boots, and there is plenty of sole left. I prefer 'em broke in good, anyway.  So I went and bought almost 200 lbs of high quality dog food that was recommended and delivered that to the Humane Society. I stuck around and helped unload, seems that I was not the only person with that idea.  Spent two hours sorting and stacking bags of dog food.  Happy birthday to me.  Better'n boots, I say.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2598 on: December 22, 2016, 09:15:21 am »
Your a hell of a guy JW !!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2599 on: December 24, 2016, 11:47:55 am »
Your a hell of a guy JW !!

Not quite yet.  But hanging around in here has sure put some burrs under my saddle and guilted me into making myself TRY.  Every single time I come in here and read posts, I find something that reminds me that I need to try a little harder, do a little better, behave a little more proper.  Above all, with NO exceptions, and with not a single reservation....this is why I have remained a member of this self elected society of primitive archers.  The greatest lesson I have learned is that even the most twisted stave still has potential.

Thank you, everyone, for contributing to my ongoing rehabilitation as a human being.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2600 on: December 25, 2016, 11:14:28 pm »
Any time JW! ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2601 on: December 29, 2016, 09:42:25 pm »
My favorite Californian sent me this Collins ax head today.  I think I'll rehang it and use it to fell an osage tree.  Thanks again Bubby.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2602 on: December 30, 2016, 12:50:56 am »
Your welcome buddy

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #2603 on: February 14, 2017, 06:14:07 pm »
Down by the Tn river in Florence Al there is a huge indian mound, there was a ramshackle museum next to it with a motley assortment of artifacts, nothing special.

The city decided to build a proper museum which I went to for the first time today.

I was a serious relic hunter in my youth and had a sizable collection that I gave to my son the last time he was here. I had a really nice sand tempered bowl that he wouldn't take because he couldn't prove I came by it legally. I did acquire it legally by the existing laws almost 50 years ago but the laws have changed and digging it up nowadays would land me in the poky for a very long time.

I asked the folk at the museum if they took donations, they did. I told them about my bowl and they said they would be delighted to have it.

I found it on a Mississippian site in conjunction with 6 other pots. Mine was sand tempered, the others were shell tempered, the friends with me when we found the pots split the others among themselves.

The folk at the museum proclaimed it to be a woodland bowl of which they only had two, they had a bunch of Mississippian pots. I know it is a Mississippian bowl because of where I found it but if they want it to be woodland so be it.

It has now taken center stage in their woodland artifact exhibit and I don't have to worry about the legality of owning it anymore.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2604 on: February 15, 2017, 04:08:05 am »
Generous offer Eric- Well done ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2605 on: February 15, 2017, 08:51:19 pm »
I got a few things ready for the upcoming warm weather this weekend.  I roughed out a few bows on the band saw, sharpened the chain on my old homelite, and made a new log sled.  I made a few improvements on this one.  It should be easier to use.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #2606 on: February 15, 2017, 09:27:31 pm »
That's a good idea. Nice work

Offline bubby

« Reply #2607 on: February 15, 2017, 10:33:27 pm »
Looks good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2608 on: February 16, 2017, 12:36:54 am »
I suspect I may have gotten myself in some hot water with government agencies and telecommunications corporations today.  You see, it has been a particularly cold December and January and I was feeling a bit "oat-ish" when this spell of warm weather came over us and I went out in the yard to do some yard work.  It hit a whopping 67 degrees today and I was getting kinda sweaty.

I sorta screwed up.  I took off my shirt and went about my job without thinking about what could go wrong.

Now several satellites are burnt out from the glare off my pasty white skin! 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2609 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:02 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.