Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 830221 times)

Offline loon

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2610 on: March 27, 2017, 03:29:51 pm »
Went to a horse archery clinic on Saturday. Lots of fun. Rode a horse twice, and also a trailer while sitting on hay bales, and shooting at targets. Most fun thing ever. I guess it's somewhat like a video game but much better because it's real. I'd love to get into horse archery more regularly...

Tried sharpening (re-grinding?) my Morakniv companion. I had done it all wrong. I made a double bevel on it, when the Scandi grind is supposed to be a flat grind. And I also screwed up the bevel in one side, so it's now hard to feel it exactly, it's all convex... Hopefully I can re-grind it with 120#, or with a file.. it's carbon steel..
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:04:59 am by loon »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2611 on: March 29, 2017, 10:24:27 pm »
Loon, what are you using to grind your blades?

Today I sorted through some staves I have stacked in a garage.  When I got to the bottom I found a surprise.  I guess he has spent the winter there.  I touched him and he spread his wings out and screeched at me.  We recently put doors on this garage so I moved him outside and put him in a safe area. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2612 on: March 30, 2017, 03:25:50 am »
Good move Clint - He'll eat lots of Skeeters this Summer ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Cyrille

• I have been active in archery since age 15
« Reply #2613 on: March 30, 2017, 08:07:01 pm »
Not too much that is archery related. I did shoot my LB early this morning one six arrow flight before the gully wumper, frog strangling storm hit. It continued raining most of the day a soft, gentle rain after the wind quit.
 I try to get out and shoot every day but some days it just isn't in the cards. On good days I attempt to practice three or four hours depends on how this old body reacts to the endeavor. 
To Hunt, to loose, "perchance to dream."*
 Cyrille Troubadour & Archer.

* Paraphrasing Shakespeare's Hamlet

Offline loon

« Reply #2614 on: April 01, 2017, 09:08:57 pm »
Loon, what are you using to grind your blades?
A 120 grit water stone. This is the current state of my knife.

More screwed up side: (on one side, the grind was smoothed out, made sort of convex rather than flat as it's supposed to be, so it's now hard to feel the angle. I managed to do that just with the water stone.. and maybe a file)

This week, I bought various tools - a somewhat big Stanley surform, angle grinder, a Mora carving hook knife.. (first two from Lowe's)
I really don't like the surform. I even adjusted and tightened it, and it's still much slower than my Shinto rasp..
Still want a farrier's rasp, and an adze. Possibly a chisel-edge knife, for shaving wood in bamboo arrow's nodes and such. I think I'd like to go with just a flat grind chisel edge because it'd be very sharp and easy to sharpen, even if it'd need a lot of honing or even sharpening..

I also got some cheap diamond sharpening plates from Amazon for flattening the stones.

I've been trying to make a spine tester with some scrap pine and stuff, and a digital caliper. The rest for the caliper hasn't gone well. I think I should try to make another one, maybe. Need to find some pallets... hm, maybe I need a plane.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:49:11 pm by loon »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2615 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:03 am »
I haven't made a bow in a while, back surgery slowed me down a bit.

A friend came over the other day and said he had just been diagnose with prostate cancer and was going to have at least a months worth of treatments. He said he needed a light poundage bow to shoot while he was down and wanted a BBO.

No way could I turn my friend down so I glued up the parts a couple of days ago.

Offline Cyrille

« Reply #2616 on: April 18, 2017, 06:01:38 pm »
Shot the horse bow this morning for a couple of rounds, I no longer ride horses, at my age a fall would likely kill me or at least shatter a bone or bones somewhere. Love that horse bow, but have yet to master the thumb ring.
 I realize that it is highly unlikely that I could find a "horse bow" site that is more bow & less horse but if anyone here can direct me to a horse bow site I would be thankful. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2617 on: April 18, 2017, 09:08:30 pm »
ATARN
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline loon

« Reply #2618 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:04 pm »
ATARN facebook group
Code: [Select]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/asianarchery/
koreanarchery.org/punbb

Offline Cyrille

« Reply #2619 on: June 17, 2017, 12:10:29 pm »
Didn't really do too much this morning, but I did get to shoot my shelfless LB for a while for the first time in about a week. Still do pretty good @ 10, 15 & 20 yds.  Not great mind you just pretty good.
 The weather hasn't exactly been corporative here in South Louisiana. Rain just about every day and when it doesn't rain it's suppose to do so @ any minute.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2620 on: June 17, 2017, 09:31:59 pm »
I went to a gender reveal party tonight for my niece and her husband.  That was a first for me.  They set off fireworks to reveal the gender.  Looks like I'll be getting my first nephew   :)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2621 on: June 18, 2017, 11:45:26 pm »
Didn't do a lot today.  But we went over to some new friends of ours house today for a little pool time and a BBQ.  Visited,  played bean bag this, shot our bows,  (he had a crossbow but I got him shooting my recurve) cooled off in the pool and ate BBQ I didn't have to cook! It cooled off some this evening so we all jumped in the side by side and drove some back roads and checked out all of the deer. We only seen 9 but my friends 2 year old son (he was in his car seat) got to see a pretty big doe at about 10 yards.  He was so excited.
Fun day,  best of all was getting my friend to shoot my recurve. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2622 on: June 24, 2017, 09:55:59 pm »
I finally got my wife to stay at a campground.  She's not very adventurous.  It started out rough with some torrential rain.  It finally stopped around 9 pm.  I took some dry firewood and we were able to set around the fire until dark. 

The weather was much better today.  She had a great time.  It was a relaxing trip for both of us.  She was already looking up campgrounds to stay out on my next weekend off. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2623 on: June 25, 2017, 02:57:44 pm »
Looking mighty cool, Double-O!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2624 on: July 03, 2017, 05:51:36 am »
I worked on three bows ALL weekend. Got a lot done and am shooting two of them now. I like that feeling of accomplishment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.