Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 817625 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2805 on: February 06, 2019, 06:53:51 am »
I don't know about a sealer.  Shellac always makes the grain pop and doesn't have strong fumes
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2806 on: February 07, 2019, 09:13:40 am »
we had a pretty good storm here on the west coast. Yosemite had all of its roads closed for a time. Lots of tree failures, mostly oak.  If you want to take a look Google Yosemite Webcams. Got another storm in the forecast for the weekend.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2807 on: April 24, 2019, 03:39:46 am »
Still to wet to plant sugar beets. So I planted some more trees. Planted nine pear trees, two apples and twenty five white pines. Hopefully the deer don't kill them all
And they outlive me. A few more for my kids and grandkids.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2808 on: April 24, 2019, 08:58:03 am »
built garden boxes and fixed my fence. hopefully i can finish painting it.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2809 on: April 28, 2019, 09:13:41 am »
Went to Dr. Get a shot for poison ivy from planting 9 pear trees 2 apples and 25 white pines. Figured I might as well finish the job since I already got shot. Planted another 25 white pines. Right in all the down dead ash trees. Had to climb over, crawl under or go around trees that were lying in every direction. Deer should love bedding in this spot in a few years. They actually already do.
Bjrogg

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2810 on: April 28, 2019, 11:26:33 am »
  Jeeesh Bj, I know the feeling...I have had my eyes closed 2 times from poison ivy including every part of my body due to my clothes being saturated with it...I quickly learned what it looked like as a young kid, gives me the shivers to think about it...I have seen vines as big as my arm here in S.C. going to the top of an old Pine...
                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2811 on: April 28, 2019, 11:48:04 am »
If you know you've been in PI you can wash off with warm water and detergent. It's the plant oil that causes the contact dermatitis and the warn soapy water will rinse the oils off before the damage is done. There are products made by Tec-Nu(sp) that will either shield you from the oils of help wash it off after contact.  Fortunately I'm not susceptible to PI. Occasionally I'll get a small blister between my fingers or on the soft inside of my arm but that's about it. I've seen PI vines along the French Broad River here near Brevard that were 4" to 5" in diameter in big sycamore trees. I worked cutting canoe trails through fallen trees one year and the guy I was working with and was very allergic had to go the emergency room the day after. He was running the chainsaw and was literally covered, head to toe with PI. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2812 on: April 28, 2019, 11:58:28 am »
Know what your saying Don. I learned very young what it looked like to. I'm very allergic to it also. I got it from the dirt. It was dormant. I never even saw any but I get it from the ground it's living in. My uncle got it really bad in his lungs from the smoke once.

I'm not that lucky like you Pat. More like your buddy running the saw. Washing up really good within about three hours really helps but I usually still get it. Not nearly as bad as if I don't wash it off right away though.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2813 on: April 28, 2019, 12:23:56 pm »
I'm glad it doesn't affect me.  My older sister would have me clear the vines out of trails before I was old enough to know what it was.  She didn't know I was immune to it at the time. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2814 on: April 28, 2019, 03:48:45 pm »
   Fried up some green tomatoes for supper! Man they were spot on...I used yellow tomatoes, they seem to have a bit more acid for flavor...Posted a simple recipe in the cooking section...If you haven't tried them, you are missing out!
                                                                                                                                                           Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #2815 on: April 28, 2019, 04:03:01 pm »
Felled a small water oak for nefarious purposes today.  Still got to cut/split the top but the base made two good staves.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2816 on: April 28, 2019, 06:34:41 pm »
Tonight was quite interesting. I was invited to Cub Scouts Blue and Gold Banquet. I was never in the scouts as a child. I was in 4-H though a feel both of these organizations great for kids. I learned a lot tonight. It was interesting watching the kids basically graduating from one Cub den to the next. One cub scout received the arrow of light. It has many symbols of their Cub Scout Journey. It is received before they cross a bridge to become Boy Scouts. I was asked to bring a selfbow and one of my arrows and shoot it as tribute to the arrow of light. It was really a neat banquet and I really enjoyed it.
I was asked to put on a little presentation. I brought my bear hide, mink, Wessels and muskrats. I took several selfbows, stone points, arrows and knives. I took my two selfbow buck antlers and the bows I got them with. I gave a little explanation of all the things I'd brought and a short story of how I got started and things I'd learned. Everyone seemed to enjoy my short presentation as much as I enjoyed theirs. I enjoyed showing both kids and adults our passion. They asked lots of good questions. I really encourage you all to give this a try if someone asks you to. It's really rewarding and they feed my wife and myself pretty good to.
Bjrogg
PS those tomatoes look good Don
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:14:28 pm by bjrogg »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2817 on: April 29, 2019, 12:31:20 am »
Good job BJ  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2818 on: May 01, 2019, 03:57:00 am »
Still to wet here to get any farming done. I'm getting seriously behind schedule now. Starting to get worried about making it to Marshall. Yesterday I pulled my camper out and started checking everything out on it. Lights, battery, water system, oven, refrigerator and water heater. Next tires, brakes and wheel bearings.
I sure hope I get to use it. Not much time to get a lot of work done and it's still raining. I'm thinking I should have gone to the Classic.
Bjrogg

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2819 on: May 03, 2019, 09:37:35 pm »
BJ, we've already planted! in our, umm... Normal? sized... garden box.  :'(
Wait, BJ your saying that i need to go to the marshalls because its amazing, Im counting the days down, and you might not be coming!? this isnt good. Hope you can make it!
Hey don. I fried some t'maters up and there great!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.