Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 831047 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2835 on: June 17, 2019, 03:28:57 am »
Glad to hear it went good for you. Very rewarding when you do something like this. You are correct in encouraging others if they have the chance to do something similar.

Thanks Brian. I know you've done a few similar presentations. It really is enjoyable and I honestly don't even worry about what I'm going to say, or how I'm going to display stuff anymore.
I usually forget some stuff I really wanted to bring, but have plenty to show and talk about. In fact sometimes I have to keep in mind not to go to long.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2836 on: June 17, 2019, 05:31:03 am »
I taught the archery side of hunter safety for a number of years, I was surprised at how little knowledge the general public had about traditional archery, all of my young students shot wheels. I was asked a several times by a kids pulling one of my trad bows "when does it break over", I answered "it doesn't".

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2837 on: June 17, 2019, 05:41:43 am »
I taught the archery side of hunter safety for a number of years, I was surprised at how little knowledge the general public had about traditional archery, all of my young students shot wheels. I was asked a several times by a kids pulling one of my trad bows "when does it break over", I answered "it doesn't".

It can be quite comical Eric. I have definitely learned to assume they don't know the simplest of things. It's amazing how many times I've had people try to draw a unbraced bow backwards. You really have to keep your eyes on them. Or they'll ask why is the string so loose. I try to remain calm and explain in a non condescending way the very simple things we bowyers all take for granted.
Bjrogg
PS I really think it is one of the reasons selfbows sometimes get a bad rap. It may be a perfectly tillered bow, with a perfect back. In the right hands it could perform flawlessly for many years. Hand it over to someone who doesn't understand the many ways a selfbow can be damaged or broken and they'll probably find one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2838 on: June 21, 2019, 10:29:11 am »
I got an email today announcing my 50th high school reunion in October. A classmate that sent the email also sent a pic with about a dozen of my other classmates, some I could recognize, some not. Anyway it should be interesting to see how old those other guys got.  (A)   ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2839 on: June 21, 2019, 11:00:40 am »
Funny how time flies when your having fun. It's my 40th this year. I guess they said we don't have enough $ for a reunion. Maybe we can just go to the gravel pit get a couple kegs and everyone pitch in a couple buck like we did back then.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2840 on: June 21, 2019, 01:29:00 pm »
The last and only one I went to was the tenth. At that time my wife and I had been married for less than a year, shortest amount of any others. This time we'll probably be the ones married the longest.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #2841 on: June 21, 2019, 02:32:16 pm »
I was  non football playing, non baseball playing, non golfin  trouble maker who got tossed out of school several times. So I really wasn't part of "the " group but I am probably one of the few that went into the Marines, went to Viet Nam,  got out went to college and became a police officer who retired after 25 years of service at the age of 51 years old. Not many of my classmates can say that.

Now with that being written. Why would I pay to eat  supper with them when they would eat lunch with me at school.  Yup my 50th come and gone.

What did I do today. Went to yard sales looking for baby clothes to bring home, wash and dry and donate them to the baby pantry on Sunday. One load done and two to go., lol

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #2842 on: June 25, 2019, 08:04:05 pm »
Made my first stone knife today.  Not that pretty but sharp enough.  Wondering if anyone has ever made sheaths for one.

Getting ready to put up all my staves for trade, realized my lungs have gotten too bad to make bows with just a Shinto rasp.  Still plan to shoot, but my pulmonologist had harsh words for me over it at my last appointment.

Offline JEB

« Reply #2843 on: June 25, 2019, 08:21:30 pm »
I have made a few sheaths for stone knives. Although most of the time I make display stands using antler and cholla cactus.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2844 on: June 26, 2019, 06:07:57 am »
I made pickles;

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2845 on: June 26, 2019, 06:51:04 am »
They look great Eric.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2846 on: June 26, 2019, 09:06:22 am »
I love pickles
Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2847 on: June 27, 2019, 05:43:04 am »
I put up my coon fence around my corn. In past years the coons would devastate my sweet corn patch, I found one strand of low electric fence wire would keep them out. Coons won't jump a fence and waddle into it, 50K volts convinces them to find dinner elsewhere.

The first picture is of coon damage before I put up an electric fence, the second is of my fence setup. I have a normal height three strand electric fence to keep the deer out.

Oh well, the system will not let me post a picture of the electric fence at this time, it says the file is too big, not so because resized it, maybe later. I run into this often on this site.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:47:03 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2848 on: June 29, 2019, 06:30:59 am »
Coon height electric fence;

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2849 on: June 29, 2019, 06:35:00 am »
I have a lot of blueberries this year, the squirrels and birds got all of them the past 3 years but left them alone this year.

One of the great joys of having fresh blueberries, pancakes.