Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 817558 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2880 on: September 06, 2019, 09:49:22 am »
One of these days I will get a riding mower and store the weedeater. Took a drive yesterday to pick up shakes for a couple of cabins in my outdoor office space. Not many folks out here make them any more. Nice drive. Oh Yeah, More fires in California! One 25 miles or so from Bubby and one less than that from my dad in Plumas County called the Walker fire. It is near the old Walker Mine site. Special group this afternoon. Always something to do.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2881 on: September 07, 2019, 07:43:09 am »
I have been drying and canning green tomatoes to fry later. This is is a first year xperiment so I don't know how well my canned or dried tomatoes wil fry up later.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2882 on: September 07, 2019, 07:44:29 am »
I tried to sun dry some but the ants and flies quickly covered them up so they went to the trash.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2883 on: September 29, 2019, 08:57:59 pm »
Not today, but yesterday I collected 16 near perfect wild rose shoots. I got them trimmed to length and bundled to sit and dry. Also, came across a super nice piece of wild apple. So I had to bring it home, rough it out and seal it up :)
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2884 on: September 29, 2019, 10:01:29 pm »
Those will keep you busy this winter.    :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2885 on: September 30, 2019, 03:26:44 am »
Nice haul :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2886 on: September 30, 2019, 09:57:02 am »
Pat: I'm very excited for the piece of apple, I've been eyeing this piece for years. Its to bad they have such a high shrinkage rate and must dry slowly to avoid checking.... I'd like to start on it now, I'm going to have a tough time keeping my hand off and leaving it alone lol.

Offgrid mtn living

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2887 on: October 01, 2019, 01:59:51 pm »
Well I couldnt keep my hands off... in flipping the tip I caused a splinter to lift on the belly about 6" in from the tip. Its a huge splinter, probably 3/8 wide and 1-1/4" long, going at least 1/8" into the belly. (--)

I made a big mistake.... I used my bench vise(which is metal) to apply pressure on the tip while tying it off to the form. When I did this I crushed the wood on the belly. Then released the vise, moved it toward the tip more, applied pressure again and it split right at the crushed wood.

Before I released the pressure from the vise I put some super glue into the splinter, then released the vise and put a clamp on the splinter hoping to glue it back together. This might have worked ok on dry wood, but I fear that I didnt get enough glue into the crack and it might crack further as the wood dries. I'm worried it will separate inside as it dries and it will be invisible from the outside.... Ugh... I guess time will tell.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2888 on: October 07, 2019, 11:00:49 am »
Well over the weekend I started roughing out a piece of mountain maple, but unfortunately it turned out to have rot from a wound that appears to extend up one of the limbs at the edge of the heart wood.

Also, tossed the rose shoots into the oven after my wife got done baking bread. They sure do shrink a lot.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2889 on: October 07, 2019, 11:22:36 am »
I marched in a parade in grand island. It was a cool experiance but the freshman (me) didnt play too good.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2890 on: October 24, 2019, 03:31:01 pm »
Im at Are the phantom of the opera! This is so cool!   (-S  ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2891 on: October 31, 2019, 06:22:58 am »
I slept in. Oh man that felt good. Been a long time since I slept till 6:30am.
We almost finished sugarbeets day before yesterday. Dug till 11:30pm . Had another 4 hours to finish and everyone was toast. Got up early to try and finish but it started raining. Still raining this morning so I just stayed in bed for awhile. We're doing pretty good. Still a awfully lot of crops out around here though. I haven't even looked at my corn in a month. It was actually planted on time and a short day variety. It did make it to black layer (physical maturity) the moisture I'm sure is still very high. A lot of the corn planted very late barely made it to tassels before it froze. Going to be a lot of corn out for the wildlife this winter.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2892 on: October 31, 2019, 08:08:46 am »
One of the things that makes it all worth it. Watching the sunrise, sunset and Milky Way from my tractor cab. Sure is beautiful. Here's a picture, but it doesn't do it justice.
Bjrogg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2893 on: October 31, 2019, 11:01:22 am »
I'm sitting in the office waiting for my Retirement party.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2894 on: October 31, 2019, 11:41:59 am »
Hope it's a good one Eddie
Bjrogg