Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 832539 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2910 on: December 20, 2019, 07:42:15 am »
The way music programs in schools have been eliminated is a damn shame. Some day they will realize music in school is much, much more than simply learning music and instruments. Its more cerebral than any other subject in school. Our local school was on the brink of going away, but somehow made it through. I donated a gob of old percussion stuff and a few electronics I hadn't used in years. The boy playing drums at that time was pretty excited. He was using old hi-hat halves as crashes and rides. Miserable sounding junk that didn't express what the kid was actually playing.

Man, don't get me started...There's some really cool research out there about music and brain development.  I think that back in the day most kids used to get it at home, but like so many things, they don't anymore so it's up to the schools.  I saw a brain imaging video one time that showed the different parts of the brain active during various tasks.  In people playing music together, the whole thing just lit up like a Christmas tree.  Sometimes I tell my kids that playing/singing harmony is weight-lifting for the brain.

Mostly it's a lot of fun, though.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2911 on: December 20, 2019, 07:46:56 am »
I like listening to music but I can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow :o ;D Bob

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2912 on: December 20, 2019, 07:50:49 am »
Ive been playing since i was six. I play Suzuki although my piano teacher stopped teaching for a while so i have had no teacher for a year. Have made barely any progress on piano. Trumpet.

Cool.  My native instrument is the euphonium/baritone, and I did a LOT of marching in high school/college.  I don't play it all that much anymore; most of my musical energy is spent on other instruments nowadays.   I've never really gotten along all that well with the piano, so I admire people that play it well.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JEB

« Reply #2913 on: December 20, 2019, 08:07:47 am »
On the 14th I woke up at 330 am, sat in the edge of my bed and started crying. I could not figure out why, then it hit me. It was 1 year ago on the 14th of December at 330 am that my wife received her bone marrow transplant that failed.

This morning I thought about that moment as I read this thread and said a prayer for those that have left us and those who remain here  suffering. I never realized how bad it was until this year when my Chris left me.

I know of two others on here that are going thru the same as me, Eric Krewson who I don't know personally and Pearly who I know and consider a friend. I am sure there are others and I included all in my prayer for healing this morning.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2914 on: December 20, 2019, 08:27:45 am »
It was the worst period in my life, and I've had several since I was a kid. My peace came in the way of knowing Jean wasn't miserable anymore. 3 years of 24/7 suffering is hard to watch. I have moved along in life and am very happy right now. But, she is never far from my thoughts and my new gal is very supportive of me. My step-sons are as much my sons now as they ever were. They always will be.

Bill (Danzbar) also lost his Kim in the spring of 2019. That's four of us in not may years. "F" cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2915 on: December 20, 2019, 11:40:26 am »
That sucks.  Hang in there, guys.  You aren't alone.
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2916 on: December 20, 2019, 02:45:11 pm »
Have lost many friends and family to cancer. I know two teen age girls living with cancer. It is an awful beast. Prayers for your sadness, remember them with laughter.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2917 on: December 21, 2019, 08:41:08 am »
Six years for me since Miss Glenda died, I am 72, tried some dating but at my age the pickings are pretty slim. I found one about a year ago that I really liked, we were like two peas in a pod, somehow she hid the fact that she was bipolar for the first 6 months. It was time to move on when that problem surfaced, bipolar gals are great company on the upswing but downright nutzoid on a down swing.

I still live alone and always will, health problem have crept up on me now but I can look back on the 30 years I had with my gal and have very fond memories.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2918 on: December 21, 2019, 12:43:29 pm »
Hang in there guys. I know it sucks. My mom passed almost 15 years ago. My dad was heartbroken. He did his best to get going again. He ended up meeting a very nice lady about 5 years later. Another widow he knew all his life and who was friends with my mom. They ended up getting married just a couple months later. Was a bit of a shocker for myself and my siblings that they got married so quickly, but they didn't want to waste any time. At their ages that was one thing they knew was precious. That was almost ten years ago. He's 82 now and I know it added at least three years to his life. Good ones to. His best days are behind him now, but she is there for him. He will tell you flat out. If it wasn't for her he'd be in a home. She just turned 81 and is going strong yet. I'm so glad they met.

I really hate when it gets the young ones. Some of you may remember a bow I made for a benifit raffle called The Stacer's. The thread was titled something like "Living The Dream". Sadly Tom left us a couple weeks ago to be with his brother. Was really routing for that guy.

Bjrogg

Jon hang in there buddy. All those firsts are the hardest. It never gets easy but it does get better.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2919 on: December 22, 2019, 10:49:05 am »
I sawed some dead ash last year and put it on the walls of my man cave. I saved some boards with living edge on them. Yesterday I made two selves to hang on my walls. I'll put some polyurethane on them yet but they'll be something like this. Sorry not best picture but they aren't hung yet.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2920 on: December 22, 2019, 09:09:42 pm »
First coat of polyurethane
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2921 on: December 22, 2019, 10:36:47 pm »
Nice shelves to go along with your walls. I love the look of ash. We put unstained ash floors in our house.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2922 on: December 23, 2019, 03:06:09 am »
Those are cool BJ  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2923 on: December 23, 2019, 06:27:19 am »
Thanks Pat. They turned out even better than I was hoping. Only problem is my wife likes em so much she wants to put them in our bedroom. That's not a big problem though. I can make some more.

Thanks Bob

Bjrogg

PS I think I might cut two more big dead trees down and try to saw them. If their solid they would make some really nice lumber

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2924 on: December 23, 2019, 09:33:13 am »
Nice, Bob!  Yesterday, I finished up a pair of moccasins for a friend's christmas present, stained a bunch of arrow shafts, led singing at church, silk-wrapped and shot said arrow shafts (I have started shooting each shaft bare a couple times to make sure it flies well before I fletch), sang christmas carols with a bunch of friends at the two retirement homes and the local school for the mentally handicapped, then fletched and said arrows while watching "The Return of the King" with Mrs. Badger and the Badgerling.

Another good day!
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour