Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 829886 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2985 on: April 15, 2020, 09:01:35 am »
We had that white stuff in the forecast but now it looks like it'll be just wet stuff.
Those temps in the 20's the last couple nights sure didn't do the apple trees that had blossomed any good tho...  :(

Went out and put in a couple rows of lettuce this morning. Need to get to the hippie greenhouse store in North Larryville and get some spinach seed next.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:46:30 am by PaulN/KS »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2986 on: April 16, 2020, 07:48:47 am »
I ordered some purple leaf plum bare root trees to plant yesterday.Should be here by the end of the month.Going to plant them according to directions but would like to see them make it.Any extra advice welcome.
Going to get another pear tree locally around here too.
Some more snow last night.This is 5".Supposed to get another 5" over night.

Grand total of maybe 14" I guess.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:10:06 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2987 on: April 16, 2020, 08:51:40 am »
Where are you, Ed?  You've told me but I can't remember.  We've had decent luck with wild plums and get some fruit about every year.  More correctly, the deer get some fruit every year.  They seem pretty tough as long as you plant them correctly so they have a fair shot, and give them lots and lots of water.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

« Reply #2988 on: April 16, 2020, 10:12:52 am »
Are they grafted Ed? If they are sometimes you can get faster growth by planting them deep so that they can put out roots from above the graft line. Depends why they were grafted, ie dwarfing rootstock.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2989 on: April 16, 2020, 10:16:04 am »
Whistlingbadger....I'm in southern Iowa.On my profile.We have lots of native brush like plum here.Make lots of jam out of it.I make shoot shafts out of it.Very dense arrow shafts.Top notch shafts.Not hardly ever big enough to get bow staves from it though.
What type of plum have you got there?Your in Colorado right?
This purple leaf plum is called a thundercloud type.Gets 25 to 30 feet tall with pipe like trunks a lot bigger.Up to 4" in diameter and plenty long.The first year I expect to keep it watered every week.A hole twice the size of it's root ball for it to go into over a mound of dirt in hole to spread roots out nicely with compost in there too.
DC....I'm pretty sure they are grafted type but it reccommends to leave grafting point above ground when planting it.It apparently can be restarted with cuttings.These are'nt dwarf type purple leaf plum trees.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:19:32 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #2990 on: May 11, 2020, 10:45:00 am »
I just moved a bunch of junk in my garage and I found a workbench!!! A real nice one too ;D ;D ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2991 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:38 am »
That’s strange DC. Maybe it’s mine. I know I had one here somewhere before.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #2992 on: May 11, 2020, 12:17:58 pm »
Snicker, snicker ;)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2993 on: May 15, 2020, 06:59:32 am »
What did I do today, actually yesterday, I went to my barber shop and got a haircut, first one in a long time, things are looking up.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2994 on: May 17, 2020, 05:57:42 pm »
I put the last coat of finish on a bow, I haven't made on in a while due to old age and dust allergies.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2995 on: May 18, 2020, 07:57:32 pm »
Planted a big patch of corn and beans, figured out a form problem with my longbow, worked on a few Scottish tunes on the whistle, went for a few long walks with the family, took a nap, made pizza, ate same, watched part of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which was extremely cringeworthy with a ten year old girl, and which we turned off about a half hour into it.  Now going to check on a sick friend, take a shower, spend some time with Mrs. Badger, and maybe write a letter or two before I hit the hay.

Not a bad day overall!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2996 on: June 11, 2020, 01:13:16 pm »
Today Yosemite National Park opened to the public. Reservations only! I will be working outside under an easy up on the edge of a retired parking lot for the next few days.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2997 on: June 11, 2020, 01:56:33 pm »
Stay safe and healthy, Ben.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2998 on: June 11, 2020, 09:01:39 pm »
Picked blueberries, made an arrow, took care of horses, and looking at buying an sks.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2999 on: August 01, 2020, 07:54:23 am »
When you get old a feeble you have to improvise. My camper battery was shot, in most cases you don't need one as I am always hooked up to power from my truck or at the campground.

It still bugged me that it was so weak so I decided to change it out. Now, with bad body parts I can no longer pick up a heavy battery up so I had to improvise a way to get it out of its awkward compartment.

I rigged up my deer dragamatic 2000 (my deer mover invention) to loop the mule tape over a gas line in the compartment, hooked to the battery and pulled it out of the battery box with my cordless drill. Next I put a ramp under the battery and slid it out of the compartment on the ramp.

I used a hand truck and 4 wheeler ramp to get it into the bed of my truck.

I reversed the procedure and put the new battery back in the compartment. I never picked up the battery during this swap out.