Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 831421 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #3075 on: October 15, 2021, 09:20:28 am »
Over at the M/L forum a guy was asking where he could buy a carving mallet, I have a cheap hobby lathe and turn handles and any other nick-knack that comes to mind including carving mallets.

Here are some of my osage file handles;

I like to train my granddaughters to do shop work and had them turn me a couple of mallets out of firewood, they really liked playing on the lathe.

As you can see these have been well used, they are both maple.

All this talk about carving mallets got me thinking about a sweet gum I cut a few weeks ago. I wanted to see if green sweetgum would split while drying as it is impossible to split the trunk when seasoned and pretty tough to split green.

All the wood had been on the ground cut in firewood lengths since I felled the tree.

So here goes, this wood was dripping with moisture and had already started spalting on the ends where it had been cut with a chainsaw.

Even with my el-cheapo lathe tools it literally cut like butter, ribbons of wood came off with my tools like nothing I had ever seen.

So the experiment begins, I will knock out a few more of these and try quick drying in my hot box and drying with a coat of shellac to prevent surface checking.

I was clearing some shooting lanes down in the woods and came across a small 8" walnut sapling trunk that had been on the ground for at least 20 years, the bark and sapwood were long gone from the trunk. When I tried to cut it out of a path the wood was so hard my chainsaw had to struggle to get through it.

I went down in the woods and cut a chunk out of the old walnut sapling on the ground that I mentioned, it dulled my chainsaw cutting it, it was hard.

I sliced it up on my bandsaw to get rid of the outer layer, this stuff was dry, well cured and solid.

I made a quickie carving mallet out of the block, not the neatest job but it will work.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:40:12 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3076 on: October 15, 2021, 04:54:51 pm »
Nice! I like lathe work too, just never get time to do it...

Offline WoodsmanRanger

« Reply #3077 on: November 23, 2021, 08:09:52 pm »
Emailed my youngest son & asked him to order my new bow, arrows & target for Xmas :) My three sons can pay whatever they want towards this order & I will pay the rest.

Can anyone tell me if I have to keep on jumping through these security verification hoops for every post, because this is getting very tedious?!!!
Keith.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3078 on: November 23, 2021, 08:17:17 pm »
Don’t worry Keith! After around your 10th post it’ll stop! Its to try and stop spammers and griefers

Thanks for posting! I bet the kid will love it!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3079 on: November 24, 2021, 08:10:36 am »
My son has been running around "shooting" reindeer all week with sticks and toys (he is 2). So I decided to make him a wooden gun to help with his hunts. Started carving it from a chunk of black walnut yesterday. Got it roughed out should be finished in plenty of time for Christmas. I hope when he goes to daycare he tells them he is shooting reindeer, I'd get a kick out of that. The best part is he always cuts them up so we can eat them, that's a true hunter right there
In the woods I find my peace

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #3080 on: December 11, 2021, 05:39:50 pm »
Puukko knife, full tang blank from a person on another Santa site. I added the handle,  Brass Bolster, Bocot and Osage.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3081 on: December 15, 2021, 03:05:44 pm »
well, we got some snow in Yosemite. Google Yosemite webcams if you want a look around. As an NPS Interpreter I usually work in a museum. Since it has been closed since Covid hit, I have been in the uniform more often. Today in the information station this morning was in the 20's. We have been outside since covid hit.  Will be all winter!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3082 on: December 15, 2021, 03:27:56 pm »
We're finally getting some snow here, too!  Been a weirdly warm and dry winter so far.  Hopefully that will change.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3083 on: December 15, 2021, 08:44:15 pm »
school got shut down because the wind was too strong  ::)  80 mph winds but still. first time this has happened!

the storm lasted 15 minutes... all this fuss at school for 15 minutes of rain and gusts LOL
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #3084 on: December 16, 2021, 12:38:16 am »
Got my Covid booster shot today. Been putting it off because I had a severe reaction to my second jab. Looks like I'm having the same reaction to this third shot.
I had them use the opposite shoulder this time because I'm still having discomfort in my right shoulder.
If the left shoulder packs up at least I don't depend on it as much.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3085 on: December 16, 2021, 10:38:34 am »
Gimlis, what shot did you get? My wife and I got both Moderna shots and booster. We had a bad day after the 2nd shot but were planning for it so it wasn't too bad. We also planned for the booster but it wasn't so bad.
 They say the bad reactions is caused by a healthy immune system.
 I'm sure there are as many reactions as there are folks getting the shot but IMO it's way better than the alternative. Over 800,000 dead here in the US and it probably won't take long to hit 1,000,000...and we're lucky here in the US. We all can be immunized here unlike other places around the world.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #3086 on: December 16, 2021, 06:35:55 pm »
Gimlis, what shot did you get?

Pfizer.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3087 on: December 16, 2021, 07:21:27 pm »
Yeah, I've heard that Pfizer was a bit rougher but I also heard it was the most effective.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3088 on: December 17, 2021, 07:53:32 am »
Got my booster last week and other than a sore arm all went well.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3089 on: December 17, 2021, 11:04:33 am »
A few weeks ago I bought a Shopsmith. Been threatening to do this for a long time, but needed to find one in my budget. That meant it was gonna be an old one. That's all right and I think a lot of people here feel the same way I do about a tool that has been around a long time and has done a lot of work. I got the whole danged thing tore down, made a list of everything wrong with it that I have found so far, and placed my first order with the Mothership (that's what us folks in the Shopsmith cult call the Shopsmith corporation, and this is pert near a religion verging on a cult for some folks). According to the serial number, my machine was built in 1954 and still sort of runs. Heck, I'm a 1962 and still running, sort of.

Turns out I am missing a small clip that connects what is euphemistically called the "pork chop" to the speed control sheave, so I need to order that $4.95 part. Problem is, I cannot stomach the $10.49 shipping for that one little part, so I am probably gonna order a few extra things to round out the order.

Which brings me around to Eric's post where he has been turning handles for tools and making mallets. THAT is probably the main reason I wanted a Shopsmith. I have done a tiny bit of messing round with lathes and it can be addictive. And now that I am making a few more muzzleloader powderhorns, I really want to try my hand at the Southern banded horns and screwtip horns. I'll have to order an expensive chuck for the Shopsmith, but I should be able to turn horn blanks, bone, and even artificial ivory. Watch this coming year for me to post some pretty fancy looking powder horns!

From Eric's description of that sweetgum, it sounds like a fun material to play with on a lathe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.