Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 831282 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #3105 on: June 09, 2022, 08:39:11 pm »
Very nice.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3106 on: August 09, 2022, 01:19:28 am »
Over August 6th and 7th, I hosted my 9th Knap-In. Smaller group for a variety of reasons but an awesome time all around. Had a big fire fairly close at one mile a way for a few days, The Oak Fire on Inciweb, so far, sop good. Glad to have you all here!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3107 on: August 15, 2022, 05:32:09 pm »
Canned a few batches of our homemade V8 juice.I call it V8 juice with a kick.It's got peppers and onions in it.

Got the wood split for the 2023-2024 season too.A good 3 cord sitting there of osage,hickory,and honey locust.I keep a year ahead to let the wood dry good over 15 to 16 months before burning it.It keeps the kreosote down in the chimney burning good dry wood.

One tier for 1 winter and another for the following winter.I'll stack the pile next to this tier.I bring a wheel barrow full into the house every 3 to 4 days during the winter.You can see what happens if the wood is just thrown in there on a pile.The posts will bend in time from the pressure.Staking it rick rack style also takes advantage of every square foot of space under that lean to too.

Finished up stacking the other tier the other day.Takes around 8 hours to stack 3 cord.

Plenty of warm weather yet to get my deer hides brain tanned also before deer season.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:40:45 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3108 on: August 20, 2022, 09:12:43 pm »
I glued up some osage billets that actually match and were side by side in the log. I have a bunch of osage billets that were once matched and marked. Moving to a new house, shuffling the pile left me with 60 billets of unknown origin for the most part, osage aged 20 years and dark are impossible to match back up. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3109 on: August 25, 2022, 09:34:33 am »
This time of year, I always have some tomato plants starting to die that still have a lot of green tomatoes on them. When I fry squash and okra, I like to put green tomatoes in the mix. I dehydrate and vacuum seal my excess green tomatoes to use later in my cooking. When I cook with them I rehydrate them in a bowl of water, bread them and fry them with my squash and okra.

Severn trays of cut up tomatoes will only make a handful of pieces once dried.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3110 on: August 26, 2022, 12:43:45 am »
Just gigged my first flounder!
In the woods I find my peace

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3111 on: August 26, 2022, 01:25:56 pm »
Just gigged my first flounder!

Cool!  Where are the pics???

I sang with a bunch of little kids today!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3112 on: August 31, 2022, 10:35:15 am »
Welp, i just bought all the climbing gear i will need to go sport climbing. Im (hopefully) heading off to college in december so thats pretty exciting!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3113 on: August 31, 2022, 04:26:25 pm »
Welp, i just bought all the climbing gear i will need to go sport climbing. Im (hopefully) heading off to college in december so thats pretty exciting!
Are you planning on climbing at a gym or on a cliff?  I used to do a lot of both.  Gym is more convenient, but cliff is a lot more fun.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3114 on: September 07, 2022, 11:48:42 am »
Are you planning on climbing at a gym or on a cliff?  I used to do a lot of both.  Gym is more convenient, but cliff is a lot more fun.

im planning on doing both! im about to head off to college in idaho and ill be by mountains and a gym! right now im just bouldering. im prepping for a competition!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3115 on: September 20, 2022, 08:49:29 am »
Today's project; I looked out my bedroom window this morning and could see green where there had been only bare dirt in my deer food plot yesterday.

No time to waste; deer will zero in on the tender shoots and pull every tiny shoot up in a couple of days. Time to activate my electric fence to keep them out. I already had the posts in the ground and 3 extension cords pieced together and run to the fence charger but hadn't strung the three strands of electric fence wire on the posts.

I was short on wire and scrounged up every piece I could find, I had two partial spools and some I had wrapped around a board. After making three rounds around the perimeter of the fence I had about 5 feet of wire left, that was close.
I plugged the charger in and it didn't work, dang. I found out the first thing one should do is plug the extension cord into the outlet by the basement door. Back up the hill to plug in the extension cord, the charger still didn't work. I had used electrical tape on each extension cord connection so I backtracked up the hill again, checked every connection and found a bad one.

With power to my charger and it clicking merrily away, I put my volt meter on a strand of the electric fence and only had 1500 volts, not enough I thought. I grabbed the fence for the ultimate test, POW! When I got back up off the ground from being tased I thought, yea that will do.

Mission accomplished.....

New growth, just up.

The fence is up, deer beware.

A small dog pen charger but it does the job, I have a 10-mile charger on my vegetable garden fence that puts out 7500V.

I take the fence down and let the deer in when it grows to this stage.

Offline paulc

« Reply #3116 on: September 20, 2022, 02:28:48 pm »
Love it...fresh out of college I tried making side money with a road side market garden.  Had an acre of mixed crops, did the work by hand so my hands were pretty much senseless from callous.  Grabbed the electric fence to test it and couldn't feel a thing.  So being a dumb...I thought "since the deer are going to lick the fence I should lick it too"... 

Yeah, it hurt.  I would recommend not sticking your tongue on an electric fence. Best part is an old timer across the road watched the whole damn thing  (lol) (lol)

Paul

With power to my charger and it clicking merrily away, I put my volt meter on a strand of the electric fence and only had 1500 volts, not enough I thought. I grabbed the fence for the ultimate test, POW! When I got back up off the ground from being tased I thought, yea that will do.

Mission accomplished.....

New growth, just up.

The fence is up, deer beware.

A small dog pen charger but it does the job, I have a 10-mile charger on my vegetable garden fence that puts out 7500V.

I take the fence down and let the deer in when it grows to this stage.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3117 on: September 21, 2022, 08:37:02 am »
I spread a little more seed yesterday in the bare spots. It looks like the deer have jumped the fence and have been in the enclosure, lots of tracks but it didn't look like they ate much, they have never jumped the fence before. I will set up a camera to see if they are indeed jumping the fence or the tracks are from before I put up the fence.

We have had unusually warm weather this week, it was 98 yesterday, getting too dry for growing plots.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 08:40:11 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3118 on: October 09, 2022, 09:42:05 am »
I have 4 acres of woods, there is a lot of deer traffic on the section I have the food plot planted on, like any section of woods, storms break off limbs and down trees year after year. This past year so much stuff fell that the deer travel routes were completely blocked, I decided to remove the blockages.

I didn't start taking pictures until I had removed several fallen trees and large limbs

This was one of the bigger fallen cherry limbs off a virgin timber cherry tree, it had dropped two more that I had already pulled out, I didn't know if my tractor would pull this limb up the steep hill behind me, it is bigger than it looks.

I got it out;

I still have several small trees and one large one to get out today, this brush pile is growing every day.

I opened up a small clearing on the main deer travel path, just right for hanging a stand over.

My plot is looking good in spite of no rain for 3 weeks, I watered it some yesterday.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 09:46:34 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3119 on: October 13, 2022, 01:15:45 pm »
Didn't score with my bow this year--it was pretty hard with my foot in a cast.  Now archery season is over and it's time to grab the rifle and put some meat in the freezer.  Got a nice antelope the other day.  Made 10 pounds of bratwurst, 7 pounds of andouille (currently waiting its turn for the smoker), and 5 pounds of jerkey, and a few packages of steaks and roasts. 

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour