Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 846957 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What did you do Today?
« Reply #525 on: February 12, 2013, 10:17:51 pm »
Sounds like a great day Clint. I got the other side of a shorty bow dipped today. Should be able to call it done in a  few days.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #526 on: February 12, 2013, 11:49:03 pm »
Sounds awesome Clint. Good times togther is priceless.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #527 on: February 13, 2013, 11:02:11 am »
Got my name today for the bow trade and boy howdy am I excited. I love all you guys but i could not be happier with who I drew. I've got two bows to get done before i can start on his and I am stoked.

Broke the hackberry bow I was working on for my step mom. I have'nt broken one in about 4yrs so it was nice to know I was still mortal, lol. I think I must have dried it out too much when I put the heat treat on it. I might need someone to school me on how much of a heat treat you can put on hack. Went ahead and finished roughing out on the one I had in the wings so it has now moved into first position on the project list.

Gonna get a couple more staves debarked today and work on the hackberry bow mentioned above. See if I can get it floor tillered and then make some heat corrections on the caul.

Danny

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Stoker

« Reply #528 on: February 13, 2013, 05:58:00 pm »
Think we found the problem on the iceauger. Jiffy model 30 3hp tecumshe 2 stroke motor. My son SkinnyD aka Dan replaced the diaphram and gasket late last year and it ran till end of season. Fuel was leaking out of the gasket. So we took the carb down to the local small engine guy Winston. He takes one look at it and says the bottom plated is warped. May I buy one? Laughter....NO!. Hammered it back flat on my anvil. Paper gasket and some grey goo. Gonna try and getter going tonight let it set for a day. Had it for 20 years musta drilled 5000 holes with it she was built to last. I know it doesn't owe me anything anymore but I love that auger. Spent a lot of Saturdays looking down a 8" hole in a plywood hut from 10C to -58C Coldest christmas eve I remember but did we catch pike. 8)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Lemos

« Reply #529 on: February 13, 2013, 06:19:54 pm »
I hung out with a tree trimming crew today and will for the next couple of days. Apparently they're cutting down 80 trees for a street widening project so for the grand sum of thirty dollars in coffee gift cards I get to pick and choose from the trees that come down. I've already got eight stovepipe straight hazels and am waiting for several apples and a couple of highly burled cherry trees, I'm thinking I might grab a couple of holly's and some pears just for giggles.

Offline bow101

« Reply #530 on: February 13, 2013, 07:46:14 pm »
Nothing....!!!!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #531 on: February 13, 2013, 09:05:37 pm »
Good job hooking up with the tree trimmers Lemos.  Show them what to look for in a good bow tree and ask them to keep an eye out for you in the future.

Today I got the blade tensioner fixed on my bandsaw for under $2 in parts from the local hardware store, flipped a tip, and put some skulls in the crockpot to cook over night.  Should be good and tasty by morning  :P
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #532 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:12 pm »
well Charlie,my heat gun crapped out on me too tonight.i ran down and got me another.i put my short bow on the form.after dinner,i am going to the man cave an see how she turned out.if all is good,i might just flip the tips and start pounding some sinew.i hope all you guys and gals are having a great evening.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #533 on: February 13, 2013, 09:34:38 pm »
Fixed the back on my mother in laws recliner. Put a new light bulb in her oven. Roughed out a flowering dogwood stave to just starting to bend then weighed it and put it up for a few days. The last dogwood i did wasnt as dry as i thought when i started it so i thought i would make sure on this one. I am hoping this one turns out good enough to be my trade bow.
Steve Bennett

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #534 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:48 pm »
I hauled the birds to a residency program for troubled kids and did a 45 minute program that lasted an hour and fortyeight minutes.  I am used to high school students that fade out after about 45 minutes and give me the glazed and dazed look.  These kids were really getting warmed up after 45 minutes and the question-n-answer period would have never ended if the staff hadn't reminded the kids there were other things that needed to be done for the day! 

Come what may, I want to go back and sit down with these kids and tell them about how I came to be where I am today.  The only difference between them and myself is that one of us didn't get caught. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

« Reply #535 on: February 13, 2013, 10:54:44 pm »
some of us were lucky Jdub.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline ksnow

« Reply #536 on: February 13, 2013, 11:30:03 pm »
I got my new ash bow tillered back to 50# @ 24".  I just need to get it 4" more at the same weight.  A few more evenings and I should be shooting it.  This will be my first bow made while I am in Georgia for 6 months for work.  It definitely relaxes me at night to shave away.  I brought five precut boards with me, I might need to find some wood soon.

Kyle

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #537 on: February 14, 2013, 09:08:39 am »
Amen JW !
There was more than one of us that did not get caught !
Good on you !! for working with them
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #538 on: February 14, 2013, 11:00:14 am »
Happy Valentines Day!   ;)
wild women don't get the blues