Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 846981 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: What did you do Today?
« Reply #555 on: February 16, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »
Worked on chasing a ring on a couple sets of billets.  And got my first one cut out.

More to come ;)

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #556 on: February 16, 2013, 04:47:29 pm »
Well, I was actually around the campfire, kinda sorta. Lol!! Broke out the rivet forge and coal and hickory and spent the day makin fire and forging out two  horseshoe knives. Lol!! Also tried making a tomahawk from a railroad spike, but it split while opening the hole for the handle. Poop!!

wow. really like these knives.
prefer a more "primitive" look and these are great!

Yeah they look pretty rough. Lol!! Was fun making them though. And they actually took a good edge. Plan to make a sheath and carry one around for awhile and see how it does. And thanks, BTW.
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline seabass

« Reply #557 on: February 16, 2013, 08:06:42 pm »
that is nice looking cane in the background Charles.is that what you got ready for the classic?well today i met up with Mr.Ed Neat.i went over to his house to teach him how to make a flemish string.this guy makes a great bow.we shot some bows and talked shop for a while.he is a nice guy to hang out with and i am glad i met him.his bows shoot fast and draw smooth.we had a great day.i hope all of you are having a day like mine.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #558 on: February 16, 2013, 08:10:33 pm »
That is some of it Steve.  I am going in a week or so and get a pretty good truck load to have all I need to bring to the classic.  Just have to catch a decent day of weather, and I am headed that way ;)

Offline chamookman

« Reply #559 on: February 16, 2013, 08:16:43 pm »
I got Yew shavings all over Miss Heathers bench  >:D, finally getting My Yew starting to bend. Plus I got to shoot a "new" Osage sinew backed shorty Matt just finished from a piece of wood I gave Him. Man - those shortys REALLY spit an arrow ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #560 on: February 16, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »
Shoe doent use that bench anymore Bob, you should be okay dirtying it up!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #561 on: February 18, 2013, 10:09:12 pm »
Took the dog out for the final day of bunny season.

Double stovepipe, a willing dog, and thickets holding bunnies.  If I live a good life and put my faith where it belongs, that is what is waiting for me!

Looking at that picture reminds me of my now past Scully.  Same tired and satisfied look on her face many times, good times, sir, good times.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanY

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2013, 01:35:40 am »
Finished a book shaped keepsake box for a friends birthday.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2013, 10:54:16 am »
wow, that box is really nice.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline RyanY

« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2013, 11:13:43 am »
Thanks sadiejane! Some minor imperfections in the details kill me a little on the inside but I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Believe it or not, all the wood is Home Depot poplar!

Offline Stoker

« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:47 am »
Bigpapa- Nice looking knives. I just picked up some railroad spikes last week. My son wants to build a hawk. He has to finish his knife first don't need more unfinished projects in the shop. Don't know where these kids learn this  >:D.
Operation jettub was launched saturday afternoon. Ms Kerrie never left for New York till 4pm. I got a stern look from her when I was taking the shower doors off the tub when she was sitting in it. Two days to gut and reframe. House was biult in'52. Somebody thought it would be a good idea to plywood the walls before drywalling them. Had 3 plumbing problems with the waste water. Spent yesterday cutting the cast stack and replacing the whole system. A freind came over to help good thing he's a plumber saved my butt in a big way. The only silver lining is that the toilet flange is nice soft lead I'll shoot that through my 45lc. Tonight start with the electrical. I don't know why but I enjoy this reno thing. You'd think drywalling all day long i'd be the last thing you'd want to do when you come home....
Thanks Leroy 
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2013, 01:07:43 pm »
Nice, ryoon!  If I had that I'd keep a book inside it. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2013, 04:56:27 pm »
Today I sinew backed a 52" osage bow with some elk sinew

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2013, 05:49:29 pm »
Well every other friday is normally the day the guys come from the city and we work on their bows. They could'nt make it so  yesterday ( Monday) I was in the city and stopped by their place. Took my tillering tree and heating caul. We made up for lost time. Got one of their bows tillered out to 28" and the other is floor tillered but neeeded some heat corrections so we did that, now its resting waiting its turn on the tilllering tree.
 Today gonna spend a little time reducing the tips and cutting in nocks on the hackberry. Been giving it a few days to rehydrate before trying to bend it again. looks like its all in alignment and has 3" reflex right now. Will see what it holds when were all done. Forgot how to finish the ends on a flemish string so need to re watch the you tube. Had a major brain fart last night when trying to show the guys how and could not for the life of me remember how its done. At leasst they know I'm no Einstien when it comes to this kind of stuff. Hopefully it will inspire them that if I can do it then so can they.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline seabass

« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2013, 07:27:41 pm »
nice job clint.i have been working on mine,but they put me on ten hour days.that has put a damper on my progress.
Middletown,Ohio