Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 840313 times)

Offline Roy

Re: What did you do Today?
« Reply #300 on: January 27, 2013, 08:12:29 pm »
Got a BBO to 27.5 on the tree, have it stained and first coat of tung oil on it. Riser is not shaped yet in the pictures.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #301 on: January 27, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »
I went to the flea market this morning and bought some camo clothes, shooting jacket and a brand new tent in the box for $12, a new rack for my mountain bike, in the box for $3. Then came home and skinned a Yew bow and made a knife with Zebra wood scales. Pictures to come. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seabass

« Reply #302 on: January 27, 2013, 08:37:43 pm »
sounds like you had a busy day Eddie.good bargin there brother.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2013, 08:39:59 pm »
the skins look great Keenan.that is a sweet bow brother.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2013, 10:36:41 pm »
Those skins look great Keenan. I was wondering what they would look like over a white back. I may put them on my elm if it picked up a few lbs from the heat.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #305 on: January 28, 2013, 01:25:11 am »
A kid that I work with told his little brother that I build my own bows and arrows. His little brother told him to ask me if I would help him build a bow, so of coarse I said yes (like heck ya). After a few days this high school boy calls me and I give him directions to get to our place and discussed a few options for him, where we decided on a R/D BBO with help from pics on the bow forum(thanks guys). I instructed him to get some straight grain hickory  around 4/4" X 1.5", rip a thin strip 1/8" X 1.5" blck walnut and purchase a bamboo backing stip. He finaly got his material, we started the bending on the hickory and gluing the handle block on today. pics of my reflexing, deflexing form and the 6'6" 17 year old future bowyer working on his blkwalnut handle block. Any day a young one volunteers to build a bow or anything as apposed to buying is a good day. And get this what brought this idea to him was his brother and Dad just went and dumped $700 each on new wheelies and his Dad planned on buying him one as well but he thought it would be cooler to build one. (all I can say is God bless the young man and I hope I do him justice)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #306 on: January 28, 2013, 06:05:52 am »
You guys are getting it done.  I did chase a final ring  on a stave and one billet.  Going to do the other billet today maybe since we are getting iced in again.  Man, this weather around here is something else this year.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #307 on: January 28, 2013, 06:54:27 am »
You need to get that boy a taller belt sander.

Be carefull with that ice Charlie
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #308 on: January 28, 2013, 07:29:37 am »
Yeah osage outlaw, I just found out the hard way that the concrete at the bottom of the steps is a lot harder than the steps....phew.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #309 on: January 28, 2013, 11:59:03 am »
Ms Kerrie's christmas present just came in. New jet tub. Better late then never. Guess I'll be doing a bathroom build-a-along  :o Dang I hate plumbing
Guess all the other projects be on hold for a while
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Stringman

« Reply #310 on: January 28, 2013, 02:15:17 pm »
Boy that hedge don't like to give up her gold easy! Always work, but man I love getting a nice log like this split and stowed away for the future!

Sealing the ends and then stacking in the shed.

Scott

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2013, 04:51:17 pm »
I got yellow dust all over me and got a mess of fire starting shavings for the wood stove.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #312 on: January 28, 2013, 08:30:38 pm »
Those are some nice rings on those staves Stringman.  You could chase those blindfolded.

Pat, what's the yeller shavins from?  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2013, 12:18:33 am »
A stave you gave me Clint, when we first met at the classic. I think it was cut in '09.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #314 on: January 29, 2013, 01:15:45 am »
Wish I was having fun like you guys..... I'm driving in the freezing rain , then I stopped to put tire chains on drive a little farther take the tire chains off, put them on, take them off... you get the point forgot to bring my ice skates could be playing hockey on the highway eah!!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...