Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 844418 times)

Offline seabass

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #840 on: April 07, 2013, 12:20:22 am »
i got up this morning and went to my aunts house.helped her with a groundhog problem she has been having.fixed her fence and her siding.then i went to a little lake by the house.i took a can of wax worms and some jigs.ended up with a nice stringer of crappies for lunch.man that felt good.i haven't been fishing in awhile.it is good to be back at it.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline DGF

« Reply #841 on: April 07, 2013, 12:51:58 am »
I was doing some yard work and ended up at the local leaf dump. About did a jumping heel kick when I discovered what I believe to be either Osage or Mulberry logs. Not quite bow length but should make some nice billets. I loaded them up, split and sealed them.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #842 on: April 07, 2013, 01:08:26 am »
   A fellow bowyer and I had the pleasure of spending two days making bows with John Strunk in Tillamook, Oregon.  Absolutely one of the most informative two days I've spent anywhere; great stories, knowledge, company, and we came out with some real nice self bows.

Offline bubby

« Reply #843 on: April 07, 2013, 03:47:47 am »
finally got to see my two youngest grandsons play little league this year, working night's sucks, took them out to lunch after the game, fun day
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #844 on: April 07, 2013, 06:43:41 am »
finally got to see my two youngest grandsons play little league this year, working night's sucks, took them out to lunch after the game, fun day

I couldn't agree more Bubby.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #845 on: April 07, 2013, 10:56:08 pm »
Woke up @ the spring cub scout camp out early, scored some unburnt fire wood then my buddy brought a ~120# weather over and I helped him butcher it.  Got to put 5 or 6 packages in the freezer.  Good day, my boys were swimming in the creek today.  Getting butterflies for the Classic!! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #846 on: April 08, 2013, 01:07:13 am »
I went shed hunting with the wife and dog no sheds but a good hike in the mountains just the same. Got back home around 3:30 set up my forge and built myself a set of tongs. My forge is an old coal fired forge hand cranked using hard wood instead of coal. my cousin and I rebuilt it last summer just getting around to using it, got to build some tools then I can get serious. took pic of my tongs and pics of a little wall hanger bow I built last week for my Aunt Sally.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #847 on: April 08, 2013, 10:34:01 am »
I made a top of the line osage bow for a guy 4 years ago 65#@27", well seasoned wood. He called about 6 months later and said the bow felt like 75#, I tested it and it had gained 10# so I dropped it back to 65#.

A couple months later he called and said the bow broke, my heart sank thinking I would have to make him another(I stand behind my bows). Then he told me the bows tip broke off when he slammed a car door on it and could I possibly fix it. I made the former top limb(broken tip) the shorter bottom limb, glued wood to the handle to be able to flip the grip, retillered and gave him back what was now a new bow.

Age took a toll on his shoulders and he asked if I could drop about 10 more pounds off the bow which I did. The bow was an OK shooter at this point but nothing special.

A month of so ago he said he wanted to buy another bow from me , something in the 48# range, his shoulders were killing him.

I said " let me take your bow home with me, keep it a while, shoot it, tweak it, drop some poundage, rework the handle and see what I can come up with".

I am just about at 48# on this bow, got it shooting good, will tweak it a little more this afternoon and hopefully be done with it.

I have to say this was the finest piece of osage I ever had in my hand, so tortured, twisted and doglegged it took me a month to straighten the billets but I could tell it was special stuff.

Of course Noland is a good friend and sometimes shooting partner, wouldn't do this kind of work for just anybody. He finished second in the IBO Worlds shooting another one of my bows he owns last year.

Here is the bow when I had it almost finished, very special indeed.

Nolan with stone point a hog kill with the bow.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:56:51 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #848 on: April 08, 2013, 11:47:45 am »
How did it gain 10# Eric? Never heard of such a thing without a sinew backing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #849 on: April 08, 2013, 04:01:00 pm »
Went to a pond with my son in law yesterday to try and get a mess of pan fish to take to the classic to fry up.  Caught two very small brim.  Went to the river this morning, and the water was way up, and never got a bite there.  Looks like my fish frying at the classic might come in the form of sardines.... >:D >:D

Offline seabass

« Reply #850 on: April 08, 2013, 06:13:00 pm »
i'm having the same trouble Charlie.i caught 8 big crappie,two eater bluegill and two small bass last saturday in about an hour and a half.went back to the same spot on sunday and crapped out.i think it is the weather.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #851 on: April 08, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »
I sure hope it changes or I will be eating at your and Bears camp at the classic...lol

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #852 on: April 08, 2013, 07:29:07 pm »
Mystery to me, had it happen one other time, a gain after finishing a bow. The billets had been in my shop for years so I doubt if they had much moisture in them to loose.

I had one gnarly butt cut left in log form from that osage I salvaged the other day, laying behind my shop. I pretended it didn't exist every time I walked by it until today, so I started whacking on it. It had some real knotty wood, some real snaky, some with arrow straight grain, all billet wood about 50" long.

The butt cut is in the background;

Finished;

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:39:51 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline seabass

« Reply #853 on: April 08, 2013, 08:33:06 pm »
you can eat at our camp any day Charlie.do you like ramin noodles?lol
Middletown,Ohio

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #854 on: April 08, 2013, 08:45:32 pm »
That is a step up for me Steve...lol.  I love them.