Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 844288 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1905 on: May 18, 2014, 04:54:14 pm »
Nice to see you still have the bow building bug Derik. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1906 on: May 18, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »
Thanks Guys!

I thought you might be pleased Clint.  :D :D

Just set my tree up and cleaning up a space in my cluttered barn.

Schools out in two weeks!!  ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #1907 on: May 18, 2014, 05:49:36 pm »
Some of those would also make some great billets to get you a longer bow as well...nice looking osage...congrats

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1908 on: May 19, 2014, 01:02:26 am »
Between chores around the house , fire meeting , and getting called into work I found just enough time to get squirrel season off to a start , first shot nice young squirrel , missed two older ones , they were a little smarter than the young one and stayed tight to the trees and didn't give me much is a shot .

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #1909 on: May 20, 2014, 10:50:26 am »
Good shooting Poggins.  looks like a nice little snack. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1910 on: May 20, 2014, 11:23:49 am »
I just got back from a fantastic Drummond Island (Michigan's U.P) fishing trip and had to start packing up for the Marshall Michigan shoot. It never ends...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1911 on: May 20, 2014, 11:29:17 am »
I just got back from a fantastic Drummond Island (Michigan's U.P) fishing trip and had to start packing up for the Marshall Michigan shoot. It never ends...;)

Good for you PD! Sounds like your spring is starting out right! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1912 on: May 29, 2014, 12:01:56 am »
Went through my bee hives and pulled a full super of honey that they had capped already , they have a lot more but they don't have it capped yet.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1913 on: May 29, 2014, 10:10:58 pm »
We found a small rabbit in the yard today.  It was all I could do to keep the wife and kids from bringing it inside and keeping it as a pet.  We put it back where we found it.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1914 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37:03 pm »
Worked beehives today. The two that survived the winter were in great shape, lots of drone cells and even more capped brood cells.  The two new hives were doing ok.  One is producing comb, honey, and brood.  The second new hive got off to a rough start and had a dead queen on arrival. We released the new queen today after being in a cage in the hive for a week.  Not sure what was happening, but it looked like she was getting stung by the workers.  Kinda has me worried.

Then while working the hives, my dog disappeared.  We spent two and a half hours driving around to the various farms in the area calling for her without finding her.  Drove back to my friend's place where I keep the bees and called again. I heard a faint whimper and found her inside a livetrap big enough for skunks and small raccoons.  I have no idea how she fit in there in the first place, but she had then found a way to turn to face the entrance of the trap!  I swear this dog is as flexible as a nightcrawler!

Thank God she has finally whimpered and we could locate her.  Not a good way to lose a dog.  My friend felt so bad about my dog getting trapped in his livetrap that he gave me a grocery bag full of his asparagus!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #1915 on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:53 am »

so how did you distract your buddy, to have enough time to put your dog in that live trap.  Man that is a lot of asparagus!   :o  Poor dog!  Man just pay him for the food, don't play the pity the poor dog routine.  The dog will thank you for it, by moving over into your neighbors yard, for his morning land mine planting.  Also maybe you had two queens in your hive, and they chose the other, and was running the queen out of the hive.

Glad you found your dog.  that would not be pleasant to spend much time in like that. ;)

Wayne

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1916 on: May 30, 2014, 06:04:06 am »
Happy to hear Ya found the Dog JDub !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1917 on: May 30, 2014, 09:18:59 am »
Had my friend Rick down from Nashville for a day of bow building instruction. I showed him how to chase a ring on osage, how to splice billets, my bow lay out method, and how to straighten and remove twist from a knarly osage stave. It was a fun day, I sent him home with an osage bow blank we created and an osage stave to practice on.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1918 on: May 30, 2014, 05:29:40 pm »
JW , I'd check the hive in a couple of days and see if the queen is ok , sometimes when a hive goes without a queen for a while you will get some laying workers and they may not except the new queen , you can shake the bees out on a sheet a little ways from the hive and the workers wii go back but the ones laying wont , at least it has worked for me .

I mowed all day at work and after I got home I took a shower and was going to start extracting the super of honey I pulled ( had a fan blowing through it to get the pine needle smoke out ), stepped outside and had a swarm comming out of one of my hives , ran and got the water hose and sprayed them with water to try and get them to settle on a limb so I could get them in a box .
They settled on a limb about seven feet high and while I was getting the ladder and a frame of brood from another hive ( I have had good luck using a frame of brood to catch swarms , I can set it in a bucket and hold it under the swarm and they will go right in to cover the brood , helps keep them in their new home also ) and noticed the swarm had started to fly agine , I watched them and noticed they were going back to the hive , I must have chaced the queen back in with the water hose .
I split the hive .

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1919 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:54 pm »
We are going to try the knock and listen trick.  A hive with a queen will settle down after about 3 minutes, but if it continues buzzing for much longer it is because there is no queen to tell everyone to settle their hash. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.