Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 840395 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2430 on: March 16, 2016, 09:08:17 am »
I had an old 2 stroke lawn boy push mower, the dang thing smoked and sputtered but kept running. Every year I would say I am getting a new one but would end up cranking my dinosaur and end using it one more year. The wheels were worn slick, the motor didn’t turn up the kind of rpm it once did and one smelled like an oil can after mowing with it. 

Yesterday I wondered if anyone would come pick it up for free if I put it on Craig’s list. I had a monster Snapper weed eater as well that hadn’t run in ten years.

I place the “free” ad at about 4:00 yesterday evening and had a guy in my driveway carting the mower and weed eater off by 7:00. I had two more calls, on guy offering guy #1 money for the mower.

Now I can buy a new mower, one that mows better and mulches with some power.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2431 on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:38 am »
ROAD TRIP this weekend!

I blew a camper tire on my only trip out last year, health reasons kept me at home the rest of the year.

I am not going out with suspect tires this year so I am changing them all out. I have changed 4 blown out tires alongside the interstate so far and am trying to prevent a 5th such occurrence.

It is easier for me to pull the tires off than to take my camper through town to one of the places that sell these big tires.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2432 on: April 21, 2016, 01:26:48 pm »
Had to help a freind load a piano on to his truck to haul to the dump.. Looked at me funny when I knocked out all the ebony keys.. the white ones were plastic  :'(... Waste not want not.. Bow tips, arrow shelves, trade value and whatever
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2433 on: April 21, 2016, 03:39:12 pm »
I cut out turkey wings yesterday and today.

I had these to process yesterday, 14 wings and 4 fans;

I heard a car in the driveway this morning and found these, 12 wings and 6 fans;

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2434 on: April 21, 2016, 04:38:30 pm »
Dang guys, nice haul!
Eric,  I'm starting to get a bunch of wings myself here at work. I got 6 pair on Tuesday and one today. I'm sure I'll get some more the first of next week. Our season opened on Monday.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2435 on: April 22, 2016, 09:06:34 am »
I had a new bow student in my shop yesterday, Jarrod Jackson. Always rewarding to start a new guy on his bow making journey.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #2436 on: April 22, 2016, 04:32:51 pm »
He sent me a couple messages last night Eric to say he was excited is a huge understatement.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2437 on: April 23, 2016, 12:35:23 pm »
I had a new bow student in my shop yesterday, Jarrod Jackson. Always rewarding to start a new guy on his bow making journey.

YEEHAW!  Suckered another one into the cult of the bending stick!  Mwahaha, our plan to take back the world is working! 

I may have hooked one of the volunteers at the Black Hills Raptor Center.  The guy is a part time taxidermist and volunteered to help us create "education artifacts" from several euthanized raptors.  He was over yesterday to remove wings and feet from the bodies of several owls.  he showed me his techniques for removing the muscle tissue and gave us some borax/talcum/magic dust to help preserve the skins.  These feet and wings are then available for the kids that always seem to want to touch the live birds.  And yes, this is all under our Federal Permit!  Not only that, but I need to document where each and every wing/foot/skull/feather came from. 

ANYWAY, backing off that rabbit trail going nowhere....Joe saw a pile of finished and unfinished bows in the corner of the shop and asked questions.  I played coy with him and told him to pick thru them if he was interested.  I left him digging thru them for a while until he asked where I got them.  I told him I had made most of them, traded for some others, and was gifted a couple.  He then let me know he had been nosing the bait for a while, even before yesterday, when he said he had been reading online about how to make bows out of boards (Thanks JAWGE! Your site worked him over good!)

Well, long story short (too late)...he now wants to continue volunteering to work with raptors, but also wants to learn to make bows.  And best of all....he is also an antique tool collector and wants to do it all with old antiques that he has bought and refurbished!!!  Oh yeah.  We are going to take back the world and turn everyone into a Primitive Archer!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2438 on: April 23, 2016, 09:12:05 pm »
Went out to my son's place to drop something off, here's a pic from the driveway
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #2439 on: April 23, 2016, 09:25:36 pm »
That's pretty country. Not so many trees that you can't see anything. :D :D

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2440 on: May 01, 2016, 10:11:58 pm »
I took some time yesterday after the rain stopped to do a little different type of wood working. This was one of my favorite things to do before I started making bows.
I built a gate for the top of the stairs any neice and nephews house. It was a fun project. The best part is that I got to make the entire thing out of scrap lumber that a buddy brought me from the cabinet shop that he works at.
The wood is called ghost wood. Its brand new fresh 1x pine that is finished from the factory to look like old rough sawn barn wood. Anyways here is a picture of it installed at their house.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Stringman

« Reply #2441 on: May 02, 2016, 08:59:30 am »
That looks nice Patrick! Very well made.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2442 on: May 02, 2016, 11:55:22 am »
Thanks Scott, it was a fun project.

Patrick

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2443 on: May 02, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »
that looks like a nice way to keep them little ones from tumbling down the steps
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2444 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:31 pm »
Thanks bj,  it was their idea I just done the building part. She watches 3 little ones and one of the mothers already wants one on her house. So I might be building another.

Patrick