Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 833973 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2670 on: September 30, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »
Sounds like my kinda of eating ...Eric
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2671 on: October 01, 2017, 11:41:47 am »
We finally got time to trim the trails to our stand locations.  We got started at daylight to try to beat the heat.  Nothing went as planned today.  The carb was leaking on the old mower we use.  I had to take it off and fix it.  Then a wire broke that hooked up to the motor.  I had to fix that twice today.  We hit roots and rocks.  We had to take the blades off 3 times to straighten them.  We had 2 flat tires because of the osage thorns.  The belt was thrown off the pulleys a few times.  The plug wire has a short in it and that ended the day for the old mower.  I got mine out and finished the last 50 yards of trails.  Found a couple dead trees across our trails that needed cut.  I also dropped a large red oak tree on the edge of a field.  It had been dead for years.  My Dad was afraid it was going to fall on him while he was mowing.  I had to clean it all up and get it out of the field for him.  We expected to be done by lunch time.  We didn't get finished until almost 6:00.  It was a long day.  I'm hoping we can get our stands hung before opening day.
I've found I've had to keep a low maintenance on my trails periodically through the summer to lessen the chore some come hunting season.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2672 on: October 03, 2017, 07:59:40 am »
I made a BBO bow for a friend that had a catastrophic bamboo failure and snapped in two, my first failure with bamboo from my local source.

Because it was a freebie I initially didn't plan to make a replacement bow but needed a project so I got the parts ready and did a glue-up a couple of days ago. My first go round with Smooth-on, mighty messy stuff but good glue.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2673 on: October 03, 2017, 09:49:04 am »
You are going to really like the smooth on Eric, it is easy to work with for sure
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2674 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:58 pm »
I took some scrap boards and made a chainsaw box for the utility truck.  I didn't like having the saw, fuel, and oil rolling around in the bed.   I put my bar oil in empty dish soap bottles.  It makes it much easier and cleaner to fill up the saw.  A logger showed me that trick.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2675 on: October 04, 2017, 02:31:25 am »
Man - I'm gonna steal that idea Clint ! I've been using one of those small funnels for filling Coleman stoves, but can never see and ALWAYS run it over  :'( . Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2676 on: October 04, 2017, 07:33:05 am »
You are going to really like the smooth on Eric, it is easy to work with for sure
Getting the perfect amount of sizing can take some experience.I'm always using a putty knife.I also use saran wrap around the bow before clamping.Always a little clean up though after curing.It's been excellent glue for me too especially with the 2 hour pot life it has.Sounds weird but I believe it's valid.I warm the wood many times before sizing the wood.
Nice looking profiled bow in the works there!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2677 on: October 25, 2017, 04:50:36 pm »
I cleaned up some staves this afternoon.  My new pup got her first taste of osage.  She would grab a curl and take off with it.  When I swept it all in a pile she would jump in and scatter it all around.  I'm hoping she will be a good shop dog when she grows up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2678 on: October 25, 2017, 09:20:17 pm »
She already looks like a good "Shop Dog", Clint. We used to do the soap bottle thing with the oil we changed in our truck engines and squirted it on the Drill rods when connecting them. Saved a lot of money.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2679 on: October 26, 2017, 01:45:16 pm »
Looks like she inherited your legs, Double-O!  I would guess her pretty face comes from the other side of the family, though!

Looks like she'd keep the mice and rats in control, maybe some terrorist, I mean TERRIER, in there?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2680 on: October 26, 2017, 03:50:52 pm »
Her mom is a Boston terrier.  Her dad is half shitzu and half miniature poodle.  I wanted a scruffy little mutt and she fit the description.   

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2681 on: October 27, 2017, 05:06:10 pm »
Prolly got a pretty big personality, too!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2682 on: December 20, 2017, 09:48:26 pm »
Today I finally got the mole that has been tearing up my yard.  I had a few minutes to kill waiting on some deer heads to cook so I stood real still in the middle of his tunnels.  After a while I saw the ground moving in front of me.  I took a big jump and landed on that spot with both feet.  Then I dug him out with my hands.  It was a big one.  He sure has done a lot of damage.

My puppy has been trying to dig him up.  I let her see what she was after.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2683 on: December 20, 2017, 10:44:05 pm »
Man Clint,  I need you to  come over to my place.  Ive got one tearing up my back yard as well.  I really need to get rid of him! Good job buddy!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2684 on: December 21, 2017, 06:24:33 am »
That mole skin should make a great handle wrap.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking