Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 817257 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2700 on: March 13, 2018, 07:44:24 pm »
Today I found the thickest osage sapwood I've ever seen.  It looks like 5 growth rings of sapwood.  No way I'm removing all of that.  I'll make some sapwood bows with heartwood handles.  Splitting it off isn't an option.  This is small diameter (6"-8") second growth that almost looks like it grew over a dead core in spots.  There are old borer holes in the center of it.  The sapwood and first bit of heartwood look clean.  It has nice rings.  The sapwood is pretty flexible when it's fresh.  I might rough out a bow and clamp it to a reflex caul to dry.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2701 on: March 13, 2018, 07:50:24 pm »
Wow you've got a very unusual piece of osage there sounds like a neat plan you have for it.  Keep us updated.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2702 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:27 pm »
I'd name the bow you make from it Blondie!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2703 on: March 13, 2018, 08:25:51 pm »
Ed.... Blondie sounds more like a sexy singer than a bow unless Clint can pull it off............. ;)
DBar

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2704 on: March 14, 2018, 05:30:39 am »
Ed.... Blondie sounds more like a sexy singer than a bow unless Clint can pull it off............. ;)
DBar

Or could be Clint Eastwoods caricature in "The Good The Bad And The Ugly"
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2705 on: March 14, 2018, 06:48:34 am »
I started to glue up a maple backed lemonwood rig. I'm excited to get a chance to work on it again. Lemonwood seems more prevalent in the archery scene since the embargo was lifted.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online ksnow

« Reply #2706 on: March 14, 2018, 06:53:38 am »
Clint, that should look nice with the sapwood/heartwood contrast.

Pearl, can't wait to see that bow, sounds gorgeous.

I put the first couple dozen arrows through a little osage bow I am making for my dad to shoot. It's my first osage bow, a stave from Clint, that wood is special.

Kyle

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2707 on: March 14, 2018, 06:56:21 am »
Looks good from here ......Kyle   :OK

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2708 on: March 14, 2018, 08:12:52 am »
Been experimenting with glued-on flipped tips, again. This is latest and most extreme.
A pc of walnut topped with pc of "unknown". "Unknown" was found in the overlay box ... all I know is that it's HARD and unique grain pattern!
Tip is 1 1/2" from bow's belly.
Couple hundred arrows have been launched from it.

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2709 on: March 14, 2018, 09:19:00 am »
Wow Mike.......be careful
DBar

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2710 on: March 17, 2018, 03:08:46 pm »
Was working on an HHB static.....steamed the first tip in..... "perfect". the second not so perfect.........There was a very small knot or change in the grain that I didn't see right at the bend and ...wow it broke across the whole tip, this one will be a kids bow.....Oh well....Wood is wood and you cant get disapointed, So I picked up a stave I had cut out at Twin Oaks a few weeks ago and got it down to the dimensions I needed with a bandsaw and belt sander. Since I had the steamer out  I went ahead a steam in some statics in the osage. All I can say is Osage is the King ....the statics turned out great and I will be posting this bow later.  This has been a good day!
DBar

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2711 on: March 17, 2018, 04:10:18 pm »
Are you bringing that one to work on next weekend Bill?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2712 on: March 17, 2018, 04:42:17 pm »
Hope too buddy..................got a lot of life issues going on right now.  but should be there with bells on. :) : ).
DBar

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2713 on: March 17, 2018, 05:01:19 pm »
Was wondering how the HHB steaming went for you Bill. It's nothing like Osage that's for sure. Hope you didn't have to much time into it already.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2714 on: March 17, 2018, 05:33:05 pm »
Hey BJ.................It was all my part, the stave had a small knot at the bend and it should have not been a static recurve. The stave would have made a great longbow................this is a perfect example of not doing what the "Stave Tells You To Do".....I should have looked the stave over better and seen the knot and made a longbow out of it.  It doesn't mater how many bows you make you still have to pay attention to the details.
Thanks
DBar