Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 817344 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2760 on: December 02, 2018, 04:43:26 pm »
I finally got the stand up with a 4 wheeler, come-a-long and log chain and the lift of my bucket on my tractor. I still have to secure it to the tree but I am done for today. I never lifted over 20-25 pounds.

Offline DC

« Reply #2761 on: December 02, 2018, 06:36:47 pm »
I'll bet your doctor wouldn't believe you :D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2762 on: December 03, 2018, 09:02:50 am »
Dandy stand Eric.I don't even use a safety harness going up into those kind.If a person watchs towards late season they go on sale around here in the stores.
I skinned a goat today the neighbor brought over.Don't know what it died from.Hide looks good anyway.Should make some good rawhide.Fed the cats with the carcass.Got a bit of hide work to do when it gets warmer.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2763 on: December 03, 2018, 11:46:34 am »
I always wear a full harness and stay hooked up to a life line. I fell about 30 years ago and broke my back and wrist, no more taking chances for me. You never know, several of my friend have had stands break out from under them. This one is built like a tank but one bad weld could change things.

Offline DC

« Reply #2764 on: December 04, 2018, 05:19:07 pm »
I've been puttering with this all week. Made it and then remade it to take some wobble out, then remade that to take more wobble out. It's finally working and I can get a good finger joint right out of the bandsaw. No boiling. Saw, glue and clamp, like it should be. I can get a .005" feeler gauge in two legs of the joint when the joint is pushed together by hand. To get an excellent joint I still have to sand a bit due to a design deficiency I still haven't sorted. I don't think I'll worry about it as this joint has 16.5" of glue line compared to the 9" I was getting with a "Z" joint. I like taking a break from bow making now and then and this makes future billet bows better. And it's fun to puzzle through. The week off also means one less bow leaning against the wall.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2765 on: December 04, 2018, 05:52:20 pm »
I cleaned some sinew today

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2766 on: December 04, 2018, 06:18:39 pm »
Looks pretty good ...... back sinew?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2767 on: December 04, 2018, 07:01:50 pm »
Looks pretty good ...... back sinew?
DBar

Back and legs

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2768 on: December 04, 2018, 07:51:03 pm »
I've been working on some deer to. Cut up a two bucks and a doe my dad , brother and nephew got during gun season. Got some bones and sinew, salted the hides and boiled the skulls. I saved the brains from several deer this fall to use for tanning. I also made a display for my second selfbow buck horns and the broken shaft and broad head I recovered from his chess cavity. Now I have lots of projects to tackle. Love this time of year.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2769 on: December 04, 2018, 08:51:51 pm »
I've been working on some deer to. Cut up a two bucks and a doe my dad , brother and nephew got during gun season. Got some bones and sinew, salted the hides and boiled the skulls. I saved the brains from several deer this fall to use for tanning. I also made a display for my second selfbow buck horns and the broken shaft and broad head I recovered from his chess cavity. Now I have lots of projects to tackle. Love this time of year.
Bjrogg

Bj, that looks amazing! Very impressed!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2770 on: December 05, 2018, 04:45:58 am »
Good worth while projects Clint and BJ.It's a part of hunting season I enjoy myself too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2771 on: December 06, 2018, 06:00:09 pm »
Deer hides starting to come in, Fleshed 2 and grained 2 today, One of the bigger 2 1/2 yr old buck hides kicked my butt, neck was really thick and grain did not want to come off. Shoulders are hurtin for sure but I think I will survive :o Bob

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2772 on: December 06, 2018, 07:04:48 pm »
That's a lot of work Bob.  I have a freezer full of hides I'd like to start on soon.   

Today I found out my daughter got a full ride scholarship to any school she wants to go to.  That was great news.  It sure made the day go by quicker at work.  She should be getting more scholarships from the college she is going to.   She has worked hard to earn what she is getting.  I'm very proud of her. 

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2773 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:56 pm »
BJ, that mount is awesome!
Offgrid mtn living

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2774 on: December 06, 2018, 08:15:18 pm »
Deer hides starting to come in, Fleshed 2 and grained 2 today, One of the bigger 2 1/2 yr old buck hides kicked my butt, neck was really thick and grain did not want to come off. Shoulders are hurtin for sure but I think I will survive :o Bob

Thats a lot of work, any pics of the process? (-P
Offgrid mtn living