Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 830181 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2775 on: December 07, 2018, 06:27:16 am »
Deer hides starting to come in, Fleshed 2 and grained 2 today, One of the bigger 2 1/2 yr old buck hides kicked my butt, neck was really thick and grain did not want to come off. Shoulders are hurtin for sure but I think I will survive :o Bob

Thats a lot of work, any pics of the process? (-P

I have 2 young doe to grain today see if I can get some pics for ya. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2776 on: December 07, 2018, 06:38:51 am »
Spent the past couple days visiting daughter. Went to all my grandkids Christmas Pageants now. Outback hoping you can be my motivation to get these hides put up right. I've done a fair amount of tanning hides. Still haven't brain tanned any deer hides yet though. Trying to find a good spot I can make a big mess in and not get in to much trouble . It's kinda cold outside here now. Probably will warm up fast though when I actually start burning some calories.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2777 on: December 09, 2018, 06:16:55 am »
I miss my old farm house where I brain tanned deer hides throughout the winter in the basement.Had a wood stove down there.I'm hoping I got a similar buck this year to match the one I have done back in 2015.Both bucks are around 5 year old animals.They should make great full length pants for long inseams.Have 4.5 year old doe too along with a [nanny goat hide which more than likely will just be rawhide].Oh yea...I gotta retrieve and skin a skunk hanging in a tree airing out in the cold.....Ha Ha.I'll have to wait till more favorable weather to brain tan the doe and buck deer hides outside.The skunk I might just aluminum sulfate tan in a bucket inside.Good possibles bag material....Ha Ha.Have a unique idea for it. No matter what process of tanning those big hides will get the best out of ya.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:31:56 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2778 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:01 am »
Beginning to look a lot like Christmas. I've been getting a Christmas Tree  from White Cedar brush in the old railroad bed for longer than I care to admit. Yesterday was the third year I got them for my grandkids. We went out and picked out a half dozen to put together. It's more like arranging flowers than putting  up a Christmas Tree. My youngest grandson asked me how much the trees cost. I told him five hugs. Everyone had a good time and I made sure I got paid my hugs. My son and daughter inlaw thanked me. I told them I enjoyed it and the pay was good.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2779 on: December 10, 2018, 12:28:41 pm »
That's is very cool gramps. The kids wont forget that and will tell that story when they are talking to their kids.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2780 on: December 10, 2018, 01:25:06 pm »
Thanks drummer boy, I'm thinking your probably right. I do think my grandkids are gonna remember their grandpa and grandma.
Merry Christmas
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:35:42 pm by bjrogg »

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2781 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:07 pm »
Merry Christmas everyone!

Been busy making sticks into arrow shafts.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline PNewton

« Reply #2782 on: December 11, 2018, 11:19:19 am »
Nice looking tree and nicer story BJ.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2783 on: December 12, 2018, 05:05:22 am »
burtonridr, those are some nice looking shafts. I know how much work goes into making them.

Thanks Paul. This is actually my tree. I still haven't seen the grandkids tree with the decorations on yet. My son said it looks great though. I'm sure my daughter in law and grandkids have it decorated up real nice.

Bjrogg

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2784 on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:18 pm »
BJ, Thanks! Yea they take some work, but I enjoy the process. If I have nothing to do, I can shave down a shaft, semi-straighten, and spine it in a half hour. I can do a few per evening, and they seem to hold up to abuse a little better than anything else I have.

Today..... I finished up a 3 day project evolving digging a deep 4ft hole, getting super muddy, all to fix a leaky water main.... Man I hope I never have to do that again.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #2785 on: December 29, 2018, 01:41:13 pm »
Boy.... not much going on around here  ;)

I got some small iron wood pieces while visiting my parents, might make good nocks or hardwood points or something with them  ;D

Offgrid mtn living

Offline JEB

« Reply #2786 on: January 06, 2019, 05:35:21 am »
For you deer hide workers?  Is it the same process for bear? I have two bear hides that I need to do something with. I am going to clean the skulls myself but would like to make something out of the hides.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2787 on: January 06, 2019, 08:06:11 am »
I e been wanting to do this for a few years now. Wish I'd have done it several years ago, but it still seems like it made some nice lumber. I took a half dozen nice ash logs to a fella I made a bow for. He's got a pretty nice portable sawmill. I'm planning on finishing the inside of my Mancave and kinda makings it a Primitive Shop with bows, arrows, points, knives and furs. Kinda my gallery. Got it all stickered. Needs to dry a bit more yet. The logs where cut two winters ago.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2788 on: January 06, 2019, 09:01:44 am »
That's going to look cool BJ
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2789 on: January 06, 2019, 11:36:30 am »
I sure hope so Clint. I can see it in my head, but it's a long way from what I'm seeing yet.lol.

It's been pretty nice weather for gathering and outside jobs. Today I harvested seven really nice HHB logs. Peeling bark and cambium with power washer. Got two peeled. Five to go. I'm not as young as I used to be.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:59:00 pm by bjrogg »