Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 817638 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2850 on: June 30, 2019, 01:39:46 pm »
Monday through Wednesday I went to a wrestling camp. hard to go from little 7th and 8th grades to high schoolers but I should get used to it anyway, i'm going to be a freshman. only got one win and then hurt my thumb and I cant wrestle one handed. I had to teach a kid there, it was his first day and he thought he could take on the world, then I demonstrated a move on him and he said "that hurt too much, go easier on me." I got kinda got frustrated at him but and almost told him he joined the wrong sport, then I realized that a-lot of kids at my school don't do anything physical and just play video games.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2851 on: July 06, 2019, 07:56:39 pm »
I did a 10k (6.2 miles) road race with my daughter today.  She ran it and got 9th place overall and was the first female to finish.  This was her 3rd time winning that race.  I walked it with my elk pack that weighs 40 lbs.  I finished 10th out of 68 walkers.  My goal was to beat 1 hour and 40 minutes.  I finished at 1 hour and 26 minutes.  Somehow we forgot to get a picture together. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2852 on: July 06, 2019, 08:02:34 pm »
Looking good Clint.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2853 on: July 06, 2019, 08:22:25 pm »
Very cool, Clint.  :OK   You're gonna have to carry rocks in your pockets to keep from blowing away. How much weight have you lost so far?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2854 on: July 06, 2019, 08:53:43 pm »
Thanks BJ.

Pat,  90 lbs and holding steady.  I'd like to lose another 10 or 15 lbs before my elk trip.  But I don't know if that will happen. 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2855 on: July 07, 2019, 12:24:06 am »
Well done Clint  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JEB

« Reply #2856 on: July 07, 2019, 03:28:50 am »
Good job Clint. 90 pounds. That is dedication. Most important though is doing this with your daughter. Sounds as though she did a great job.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2857 on: July 09, 2019, 11:06:03 am »
Great job Clint!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2858 on: July 09, 2019, 01:01:00 pm »
Clint, you are looking lean and mean!  Good work! Finishing 10th with a 40 lb pack as a handicap is something to brag about.  If you run outa arrows on those elk you can always walk 'em into the ground!

I am proud of you for taking care of yourself like this. And for being there for your family!  You are a good man, sir.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2859 on: July 09, 2019, 02:37:55 pm »
Thanks guys! 

Online Outbackbob48

« Reply #2860 on: July 09, 2019, 02:53:48 pm »
Clint , your lookin  in great shape, 90# sounds unreal. Remember don't overdue and get injured , you want to peak when the season comes in. Bob

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2861 on: July 13, 2019, 08:01:07 am »
Well Clint, at that rate you can pass the wildland firefighter endurance test with flying colors! Congrats to both of you!
I am headed for Harper's Ferry WV for training for the week. Then back for two weekends in a row of Tribal Cultural trainings then the 2nd weekend of August is My Knap in at Yosemite National Park! Busy for sure....

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2862 on: July 28, 2019, 11:42:24 am »
I loaded up a bunch of stuff and headed to the youth mentor day yesterday. I went last year and was pretty impressed with the effort this local Sportsmans Club put into this event. They asked me if I would come back and I told them I'd love to if it worked out with my farming schedule.

My buddies Gary and Randy came along to help out. Took a couple pictures before event got to busy to. We were very well received. I had hides, stone points and knives, a bunch of selfbows and my presentation pole. I had some staves in different stages from bark on to roughed out. I had my two buck racks and the bows I shot them with. I had a bunch of PA magazines including the one I wrote the article about attending this event last year.
It was a lot of fun and I'm sure I will try to do it again next year. Would definitely encourage anyone to do something like this. They did a great job putting it together and it was very well attended.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2863 on: August 06, 2019, 07:56:32 am »
I have had a great garden this year and given away bushels of tomatoes and okra. today I looked the accumulation of both on my kitchen counter and thought "I like stewed tomatoes and okra, why not can some for the future?"

I did need a few more tomatoes after culling all the bad spots and green cores from my tomato stash so I added a can of diced tomatoes I had in the cabinet. It wasn't until after the can was in the pot that I realized it was italian spiced with a good bit of oregano in it, this made for an interesting mix.

I added an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic as I cooked down the mix for canning.

I have a variety of different size canners, the 8qt vintage Presto in the picture was on the Facebook Marketplace for $15, the lady who sold it had just put all new seals in it which cost about $8 so it was too good of a bargain to pass up.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:00:00 am by Eric Krewson »

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2864 on: August 06, 2019, 12:16:29 pm »
I grew up eating okra and tomatoes and fried okra and steamed okra.YUM!
 I put up lots of tomato sauce I make each year. The last few years I've been buying boxed of tomatoes from the farmers market(about $7 per box later in the summer) for my tomato sauce with onions, peppers, garlic and herbs and spices. We had 3 failure years in a row with our garden with either crows or the blight taking it all. I freeze my sauce in gallon ziplock bags and it's so nice to have real, flavorful tomato sauce in January and February.
 I have a great, simple pickled okra recipe if anyone is interested. Doesn't go through a hot bath, just boiling liquid into the jar of okra, garlic and dill seeds. Makes great tarter sauce, too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC