Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 817517 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #3030 on: January 19, 2021, 01:04:37 pm »
Got my flag ready turn flip upside down tomorrow at 1300hrs. Loaded 1000 rounds of semi wad cutters.
Our Neighbors did that on Jan 7th.  The flag, not the ammo. 

BTW, where can you get Potassium Nitrate and sulfur?

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3031 on: January 20, 2021, 06:51:03 am »
Possum's are pretty cool creatures
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

« Reply #3032 on: January 20, 2021, 07:41:21 pm »
Deleted WatsApp today. Migrated to Signal. Had to stop getting collected on.

HH
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3033 on: January 21, 2021, 08:17:22 am »
PN= stump remover at Lowe's, 100% PN.

Offline HH~

« Reply #3034 on: January 21, 2021, 08:23:42 am »
Oh, and finished a 57" NTN Osage HedgeHunter Custom selfbow.

Then, fittted a 1903a3 into a C stock and got it ready to be inletted for a 1903A4 WWII Sniper Clone.

HH~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #3035 on: January 21, 2021, 10:34:28 am »
wired up my new heavy duty work table for both lights and outlets. installed two vices, a bench grinder and a small drill press. then repaired a one pound sledge handle. I do what I call "nickle and diming it" a little bit and then sit for a bit and then do it again. slow but getting things done. will be awesome to have such a work place and be able to see.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3036 on: January 22, 2021, 09:21:05 pm »
We had a big wind storm Tuesday morning early. Yosemite was closed to the public so I stayed home to clean up the mess. One tree from the neighbors landed in my yard so cut it up and burned the branches. Today was rebuilding half of my wood shed roof that had gotten blown off as well as two pieces of tin off of my patio cover. Got to go to work tomorrow to reset my government computer password. Also have to light a memorial fire in our ceremonial house for family and friends that have already passed in 2021.

Thank you all for your woods of support and encouragement over the years. Stay safe! My wife and I remain Covid free! Thankfully!

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3037 on: January 25, 2021, 05:54:46 pm »
Made a tillering gizmo and went to town on my first bow. That thing is a life saver
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #3038 on: January 30, 2021, 11:59:36 am »
had to repair a live trap, we had caught a big boar coon in it a couple of days ago, I had kept it in it to be able to show a 8 year old city grand daughter that the "cute" little dudes are pretty mean and can hurt you. Mainly I wanted her to see the bared teeth and hear it growling. But, the coon managed to chew thru the heavy wire in one spot to get out. Figured he messed his teeth up pretty bad but he got out. So with some trapping wire and another piece of small expanded metal, I got er done. Also narrowed the limbs on my piece of osage, it is still way to heavy for what I want. So it is ready to begin slowly dropping the weight down with the scraper. Got chilled so quit for a while to warm up. need to get some chili cooking.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3039 on: February 12, 2021, 02:04:18 pm »
I worked!
Some of you know, I am a Park Ranger/Indian Cultural Demonstrator in Yosemite National Park. Today marks the beginning of the Horsetail Falls event. We are closing part of Yosemite Valley off to parking and pedestrian traffic. One lane of our out bound corridor will be blocked off for pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Social media has made this a bot of a nightmare for us locals and employees. This event draws thousands every year. Most days of the event will see a couple of thousand people lining up for their chance to get a shot of this event.
The one area that we closed has been subject to extreme degredation due to the sheer volume of folks gathered there. One year they caused the collapse of several hundred feet of river bank.
If you would like to check out what I am talking about you can google horestail falls yosemite and you should be able to see some pictures.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3040 on: February 16, 2021, 01:58:01 pm »
A little stormy and chilly weather here today so I thought I would bake some No Knead bread in the ole Dutch oven. Been baking about 2 loaves a week all winter. Simple  ingredient's and easy to do, Excellent results also . UMMMM Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3041 on: February 16, 2021, 02:11:18 pm »
Yummy, fresh out of the oven bread with lots of butter. I could go for that.
Will you share your recipe, Bob?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3042 on: February 16, 2021, 03:14:49 pm »
Pat, here is the way that I did it.

3 cups of flour
1TBSP of active yeast or 1 packet
1tsp of salt
1-1/2 cups of your hottest tap water
Mix your ingredients in a bowl and then cover and let set for 3 hrs in a warm spot, or until dough doubles in size.
Next I set oven for 450 and preheat my Dutch oven and lid, this takes about 30 min. At the same time I dump bread dough on to floured surface and take a spatula and turn dough in to it self 12 times, place dough on a pc of parchment paper and put back in bowl for 30 min. while oven is preheating. When oven  is up to 450 place parchment paper and dough in Dutch oven, cover and cook for 30 min at 450, at the end of 30 minutes pull lid off of oven and cook 10 more minutes or until your bread is as brown on top as ya like. Get some butter ready cause it is good, UMMM. I have been doubling ingredients and make the small loaf in a bread pan just shorten cooking by 10 minutes on the loaf pan. Easy no kneading even I can make bread. Been cooking  a double batch once a week and is about right amount for the 2 of us. Good Luck and let me know how it turns out. Bob  ps.  My wife places thermometer  in middle of loaf and says it is done when it hits 190.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:25:32 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3043 on: February 17, 2021, 09:38:19 am »
That looks tasty Bob. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3044 on: February 25, 2021, 10:54:34 am »
I decided to go to the St Joe Cafe for lunch yesterday

I didn't see a dead deer going up but saw what looked like a monster doe on my way back. I stopped and it was a monster buck that had lost its antlers. It looked fresh but I couldn't tell for sure, it was going onto rigor which means it may have been there a few hours.

About that time my brother-in-law came by, I stopped him to see if he had seen the deer on his way to the barn, he hadn't but did say there was a van pulled off at the honkytonk across the street with whole front end mashed in that had been there since early this morning.

We discussed it and decided the deer had been there too long, it was so huge I couldn't have loaded in my Honda anyway although I keep a tarp in my car just in case I need to haul home a road kill. All that meat going to waste, at least 100lbs worth.

I looked up the onset of rigor and it said 5 or 6 hours for the main trunk, this deer's front shoulders were in rigor, it had been in the sun too long.

I hate to miss out on a good roadkill, here we can pick them up and take them home, no questions asked, no need to contact the DNR. Over the years I have picked up 3, two of which I saw get hit, one near my house wasn't on the side of the road when  went to town but was when I came back about 45 minutes later.

My last fresh roadkill, still steaming when I cut it up.